[net.religion] Saint DuBois, Sinner Kulawiec

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (09/21/84)

From Rich Kulawiec (pucc-h:rsk):

>	Oh, Paul (DuBois)...given a choice between your vision of the
>	heavenly hereafter, and the "flaming pits of hell"; I think I'd
>	opt for whichever one you (and like-minded folks) weren't
>	currently occupying.

Why?  Don't you like the idea of transformed lives?

>	Based on my ideas of how the universe works, this is of course
>	a null statement, since this *is* no hereafter; based on yours,
>	I s'pose it means you can expect a postcard from hell eventually.

I have never understood why those who believe they are just going to die,
and that'll be the end, bother living.  If all there is is experiencing
various facets of life -- growth, pleasure, relating, whatever -- with nothing
eternal to which these experiences can be added; if all there is is the physical
body; why do you people bother?

>	Still laughing with the sinners,

Perhaps "the sinners have much more fun", as Billy Joel said in the song this
is alluding to -- in the short term.  But how are you going to have fun if your
"fun" is of the self-destructive nature that wrecks your health or kills you
at an early age?

And anyway, I have seen that "saints" can have genuine fun without indulging
in a lot of the actions usually associated with the "sinners".  It is possible
to have a good time on earth and still go to Heaven; so what do you gain by
refusing the second to concentrate on the first?

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|seismo|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq

rsk@pucc-h (Rich Kulawiec) (09/21/84)

Well, now that you've identified the players for us, Jeff, maybe we
can get on with the game.

From: aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent)

> Why?  Don't you like the idea of transformed lives?

Well, I don't know, since I'm not sure what a "transformed life" is
supposed to be.  I certainly don't like (my perception of) Paul's
(and possibly your) heaven/afterlife.  I don't like the idea that some
bozo god-being is going to send some of us to eternal bliss, and some
of us to eternal torment.  That's a really stupid way to run a universe.

When the day comes that I die, and find myself standing before some cosmic
entity in judgement, I hope to be able to deliver my complaint(s) in
person...if then, I'm relegated to the pits, well, at least my self-respect
and integrity will be intact.

> I have never understood why those who believe they are just going to die,
> and that'll be the end, bother living.  If all there is is experiencing
> various facets of life -- growth, pleasure, relating, whatever -- with nothing
> eternal to which these experiences can be added; if all there is is the
> physical body; why do you people bother?

We bother because we see things worth doing HERE, NOW.  Rather than wasting
our time trying to get folks to believe in the hereafter, or fighting
wars over whether our vision of afterlife is right, or the other folks',
or pouring money into religious institutions, or {and so on}, we'd rather
enjoy what we have now as WE want to enjoy it, and work on making this
place better for us, the next generation, and anyone else who happens along.

Maybe life as it is NOW, HERE, isn't enough for you.  Fine.  You can
believe whatever you want to.  But for some of us, it's all we need,
and we do just fine with it--we don't need a religious security blanket
to get through our days.  We're fairly happy even with our imperfections,
real and imagined, and we manage to get through life without worrying
about it over much.

> Perhaps "the sinners have much more fun", as Billy Joel said in the song this
> is alluding to -- in the short term.  But how are you going to have fun if your
> "fun" is of the self-destructive nature that wrecks your health or kills you
> at an early age?
>
> And anyway, I have seen that "saints" can have genuine fun without indulging
> in a lot of the actions usually associated with the "sinners".  It is possible
> to have a good time on earth and still go to Heaven; so what do you gain by
> refusing the second to concentrate on the first?

If I wreck my health or kill myself at an early age, what possible concern
is that of yours?  If I drink, or smoke, or get high, or have sex (yes, please),
or anything else that falls into your category of "self-destructive", why
should YOU worry about it?  Look, I'm having a great time, and if I go out
this way, well, ok, maybe I'd rather stick around a little longer, but I'll
settle for the good times I've had in preference to cringing about and worrying
about what some turkey up in the sky thinks.

I'm having "a good time on earth" in the way I see fit; if YOU don't like
it (and what do you *really* know about it, anyway?) and if YOU don't think
I'll get the goodies when I bite the big one, YOU are welcome to your opinion.

George Carlin once pointed out that religion is like a lift in your shoe;
it's nice if you need it...but let's not go around trying to nail lifts
on the native's feet.

Not having a good time, but struggling with
fast fourier transforms instead...
--
---Rsk

UUCP: { decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc, sequent, uiucdcs  } !pur-ee!rsk
      { decwrl, hplabs, icase, psuvax1, siemens, ucbvax } !purdue!rsk

Not fade away...

mat@hou4b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) (10/01/84)

>	I don't like the idea that some bozo god-being is going to send
>	some of us to eternal bliss, and some of us to eternal torment.
>	That's a really stupid way to run a universe.

Isn't the whole point YOUR choice to accept or reject God?  How can you say
``I am not going to obey the laws of the creator of everything'' (who surely
knows a little more than you do ...) and then condemn that same creator for
rejecting YOU?

>	When the day comes that I die, and find myself standing before some
>	cosmic entity in judgement, I hope to be able to deliver my
>	complaint(s) in person...if then, I'm relegated to the pits, well,
>	at least my self-respect and integrity will be intact.

How would you feel if you were God, and you call two people to judgement:  One
has spent his life making people happier, raising a family and teaching his
children well, going out of his way to help others.  The second came in
sniveling with complaints about the way you run things.  He has superb
intelligence, and he has had every material need (need, not want) provided out
of the love of others.  And all he can do is lambaste you for a couple of the
things you asked him to do.  How would you be inclined to treat the second?
I hope God is more merciful than I ... more for my sake, I'm afraid, than for
yours.  I know that I am unworthy ... and that there is something to be worthy
of.

>If I wreck my health or kill myself at an early age, what possible concern
>is that of yours?  If I drink, or smoke, or get high, or have sex
>(yes, please), or anything else that falls into your category of "self-
>destructive", why should YOU worry about it?

Why?  Perhaps some of us CARE about you.  We are told to love one another as
we love ourselves.  There's not much reason beyond that.

>Look, I'm having a great time, and if I go out this way, well, ok, maybe I'd
>rather stick around a little longer, but I'll settle for the good times I've
>had in preference to cringing about and worrying about what some turkey up in
>the sky thinks.

How about worrying about your fellow man?  Or is that not worth your effort?
Look, I wouldn't take this position so strongly if you did not condemn the
people who are trying to live good and caring lives.  And if some of them
have grown bitter in frustration, well, why not pray for them?  Even if YOU
don't believe that it will make one bit of difference.

	Through the persona of his detective character, Fr. Brown, Chesterton
wrote:
	``You see, it's so easy to be misunderstood.  All men matter.
	You matter.  I matter.  It's the hardest thong in theology to
	believe.  We matter to God -- God only know why.  But that's
	the only possible justification of the existance of policemen.
	Don't you see, the law really is right in a way, after all.
	If all men matter, all murders matter.  That which He has
	so mysteriously created we must not suffer to be destroyed.''

And here, most of us would include suicide, both physical and spiritual.
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	hou4b!mat

alan@allegra.UUCP (Alan S. Driscoll) (10/01/84)

> How would you feel if you were God, and you call two people to judgement:  One
> has spent his life making people happier, raising a family and teaching his
> children well, going out of his way to help others.  The second came in
> sniveling with complaints about the way you run things.  He has superb
> intelligence, and he has had every material need (need, not want) provided out
> of the love of others.  And all he can do is lambaste you for a couple of the
> things you asked him to do.  How would you be inclined to treat the second?
> I hope God is more merciful than I ...  [Mark Terribile]

Why attribute such banal, human emotions as spite and anger to God?
Aren't these your own shortcomings (i.e., your lack of "Christian
compassion and forgiveness") that you're focusing on?  If you see
God as Universal Parent, then answer this:  Would an ideal parent
ever punish a child out of anger?

Anyway, let's consider a more interesting example.  What about Joe
Bloe?  Joe is a kind, decent, loving person.  He cares about people,
and he tries to do what's right.  However, he isn't religious.  (If
you're particularly narrow-minded, you can imagine that Joe failed
to choose the "right" religion).  Now, how would you be inclined to
treat Joe?

Remember, we know that Joe is sincere in his ethics and his concern
for people.  After all, he doesn't believe in a judgemental god, so
he isn't just trying to save his own eternal butt.

--

	Alan S. Driscoll
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%UCB) (10/06/84)

> >	When the day comes that I die, and find myself standing before some
> >	cosmic entity in judgement, I hope to be able to deliver my
> >	complaint(s) in person...if then, I'm relegated to the pits, well,
> >	at least my self-respect and integrity will be intact.
>
> How would you feel if you were God, and you call two people to judgement:  One
> has spent his life making people happier, raising a family and teaching his
> children well, going out of his way to help others.  The second came in
> sniveling with complaints about the way you run things....

Hmmm... I haven't been G*d, so I don't know how I would feel.  However, it
seems to me that you are assuming that for someone to be good (the first
person) they must be Christian (or at least Judeo-Christian).  I spend my
life trying to make people happier and helping my fellow human beings and
being generally more good and loving and otherwise obedient to the principles
of Christianity then many Christians even try to be, but I don't believe in
the Jewish or Christian G*d.  Now, if I were the first person and Jerry
Falwell was the second (after all, he complains about homosexuals, hates
the Russians, etc.), would you, if you were G*d, be nice to me or him?

> >If I wreck my health or kill myself at an early age, what possible concern
> >is that of yours?  If I drink, or smoke, or get high, or have sex
> >(yes, please), or anything else that falls into your category of "self-
> >destructive", why should YOU worry about it?
>
> Why?  Perhaps some of us CARE about you.  We are told to love one another as
> we love ourselves.  There's not much reason beyond that.

You can love me all you want, but please don't smother me.  I think it
is perfectly acceptable for me to live with a woman to whom I am not
married.  You may think that is immoral.  If you care about me, you
might, once or twice, try and convince me I was wrong, but if you tried
to force me to stop (by passing laws or whatever), I would consider
that intolerable.  G*d gave me free will -- can't you at least be as
generous?

		Ken Arnold

rsk@pucc-h (Rich Kulawiec (Vombatus Hirsutus)) (10/16/84)

	Off to answer more comments from hou4b!mat, and pucc-h!aeq...

	First off, to Jeff (aeq)...

> Actually, the universal recognition of the Lordship of Christ will come as
> a result of unquestionable objective evidence of it.

	It would be rather difficult to convince me (via objective evidence)
that some entity was actually a "god"; I'd be more inclined to think in terms
of advanced technology.  ("Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic"...Clarke's Third Law)

	But let's suppose for the sake of argument that some being manages
to convince me that it's the big cheese...I still say, so what?  Why should I
bother to pay any attention to it?  So it created the universe...big deal.
If I were the big poobah, I could do some pretty trick stuff, too.

> Belief in self-awareness on the part of a mere collection of molecules seems
> to me to be a greater leap of faith than belief that there is a spirit using
> that collection of molecules as a temporary home, and that the spirit is
> self-aware.

	I have made no "leap of faith"; I have merely looked at the available,
verifiable, demonstrable-on-demand evidence, and have drawn a conclusion.
I won't claim that the evidence is complete; (It never is, in the same sense
that just because one drops 999 ping-pong balls, and 999 of them hit the
ground, there is no proof that #1000 won't go sideways...but if you're betting,
that's the way to go.) but I'm not prone to "leaps of faith" based on
questionable evidence.

	And now, Mat:

> Isn't the whole point YOUR choice to accept or reject God?  How can you say
> ``I am not going to obey the laws of the creator of everything'' (who surely
> knows a little more than you do ...) and then condemn that same creator for
> rejecting YOU?

	I've not condemned said creator-of-all; I've just pointed out that
I'm not happy with the way he/she/it runs things around here, and as a result,
I'm not inclined to worship/respect such a being...if there is one.

> How would you feel if you were God, and you call two people to judgement:  One
> has spent his life making people happier, raising a family and teaching his
> children well, going out of his way to help others.  The second came in
> sniveling with complaints about the way you run things.  He has superb
> intelligence, and he has had every material need (need, not want) provided out
> of the love of others.  And all he can do is lambaste you for a couple of the
> things you asked him to do.  How would you be inclined to treat the second?
> I hope God is more merciful than I ... more for my sake, I'm afraid, than for
> yours.  I know that I am unworthy ... and that there is something to be worthy
> of.

	I really don't know either of those two people...but let me answer
you, just for the sake of argument.  If I were god, and therefore above the
the pettiness which you seem to be implying he/she/it would indulge in given
this black-and-white case, I would send both on to eternal happiness.  Why not?
Then again, the vengeful christian god, which so many folks find to their
liking, would probably zap the #2 person straight off to the pits.

>> If I wreck my health or kill myself at an early age, what possible concern
>> is that of yours?  If I drink, or smoke, or get high, or have sex
>> (yes, please), or anything else that falls into your category of "self-
>> destructive", why should YOU worry about it?

> Why?  Perhaps some of us CARE about you.  We are told to love one another as
> we love ourselves.  There's not much reason beyond that.

	So?  Why don't you "love" me by letting me enjoy my free will--including
my free will to be self-destructive (in your opinion) if I so choose?  Or do
you feel that someone with such inclinations is an errant child, who needs
to be corrected at every turn?

> How about worrying about your fellow man?  Or is that not worth your effort?
> Look, I wouldn't take this position so strongly if you did not condemn the
> people who are trying to live good and caring lives.  And if some of them
> have grown bitter in frustration, well, why not pray for them?  Even if YOU
> don't believe that it will make one bit of difference.

	I do worry about my fellow man; and I have spent a good deal of time
doing concrete about it, like working for the March of Dimes, and in the
past, for Unicef; certainly a much more productive use of time than "praying"
for help.  I don't recall condemning anyone in my article; and I certainly
have every sympathy for those folks who attempt to "live good and caring
lives"...the problem is that a good many of those who profess to be members
of that group of people...aren't...and they spend a good deal of their
time condemning those who are.

	And here, I recall the words of escaped slave Frederick Douglas:

	"I prayed for twenty years for release; but I received
	no answer until I prayed with my legs."
--
---Rsk

UUCP: { decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc, sequent, uiucdcs  } !pur-ee!rsk
      { decwrl, hplabs, icase, psuvax1, siemens, ucbvax } !purdue!rsk

"It'll definitely improve our reputation as a party school."

	--anonymous Purdue student, on TV-18 (local) news, Saturday, 10/6/84
	  after a Friday night of spontaneous rioting.

agz@pucc-k (Andrew Banta) (10/16/84)

>> Jeff
> Rich

>> Actually, the universal recognition of the Lordship of Christ will come as
>> a result of unquestionable objective evidence of it.
>
>	It would be rather difficult to convince me (via objective evidence)
> that some entity was actually a "god";

I don't think that either one of you are thinking real hard, especially
Jeff.  How could you deny opbjective evidence is my first question here.
It seems to me that any solid evidence would make sure that you believe
in a God. But what makes you think that this "objective evidence" is
going to show up? Doesn't it seem more logical that a God, if existant
would be much better off if he kept his existance a mystery? This way he
has to rely on his "subjects" having faith alone in him, and not hard
evidence to point out to others and say "You can't refute that!" I think
the whole idea behind this thing called "religion" is to get people to
have faith in what they can't see.

>> Belief in self-awareness on the part of a mere collection of molecules seems
>> to me to be a greater leap of faith than belief that there is a spirit using
>> that collection of molecules as a temporary home, and that the spirit is
>> self-aware.

What do you consider yourself? I have no question that your body is made
of molecules, despite what Max has said to you. I don't think that it is
that impossible for molecules to collect and form in such a manner that
they create life, given the time involved. A few million years is a LONG
time. Take a look at what ahs happened in your lifetime, and try to
think about that much happening several hundred thousand times over.

> 	I have made no "leap of faith"; I have merely looked at the available,
> verifiable, demonstrable-on-demand evidence, and have drawn a conclusion.
> I won't claim that the evidence is complete;

The evidence is far from complete, but at least it gives you the option
of believing one thing instead of another. Now before you religious,
gooney-ga-ga fanatics cut into this, this option allows things to be
understood without believing in something other than what is humanly
accessible, and the people who don't believe in a God can use this as
their explanation.

> And now, Mat:
(read: >> == Mat)

>> How would you feel if you were God, and you call two people to judgement: One
>> has spent his life making people happier, raising a family and teaching his
>> children well, going out of his way to help others.  The second came in
>> sniveling with complaints about the way you run things.

Are these two mutually exclusive? You can't take care of your family and
friends without agreeing with a possible God? Why is it that these
religious freaks try to convince you that everyone who doesn't believe
in God is some terrible raping, pillaging, massacring evil sinner? This
complaint gets used SO much and has almost no truth to it! Why don't you
try a more realistic approach to these things and still see if you have
a leg to stand on!

> 	I really don't know either of those two people...but let me answer
> you, just for the sake of argument.  If I were god, and therefore above the
> the pettiness which you seem to be implying he/she/it would indulge in given
> this black-and-white case,I would send both on to eternal happiness. Why not?
> Then again, the vengeful christian god, which so many folks find to their
> liking, would probably zap the #2 person straight off to the pits.

How can anyone view things in black and white cases? There is no such
thing as all right and all wrong! Who can you honestly look at and say
they are bad or they are good? Who's definition do you use? And the
first person that says "God's" gets belted! If you were going to say
this, tell me where you got the criteria, I'd be interested in seeing
the "right" one, since there are so many versions that exist. How can
anybody out there judge each like this? "You're wrong, you're going to
hell!", and " I'm right, I'm not." Tell me exactly where you get this
information!

>> Why?  Perhaps some of us CARE about you.  We are told to love one another as
>> we love ourselves.  There's not much reason beyond that.
>
>	So?  Why don't you "love" me by letting me enjoy my free will--including
> my free will to be self-destructive (in your opinion) if I so choose?  Or do
> you feel that someone with such inclinations is an errant child, who needs
> to be corrected at every turn?

Thank you, Rich! To Mat, Why don't you explain to us how you "love
yourself"? I'd be interested in knowing. Do you consider this to mean
that you don't do harmful things to yourself? Terrific! Don't, but
please don't tell us that you actually love us and want to make sure
that we don't burn in eternal hell by trying to correct us. Just think
what would happen if you did this: everyone would believe in your God
and you would be depressed because you wouldn't have anyone left to
judge! So there, how much fun would you have then? Being more serious
again, if he doesn't agree with you, let him do what he wants. Don't say
that he has to agree with you because you're "right".

>> How about worrying about your fellow man?  Or is that not worth your effort?
>>  ... And if some of them
>> have grown bitter in frustration, well, why not pray for them?  Even if YOU
>> don't believe that it will make one bit of difference.

If you're worried about your fellow man, tell him that there is a
problem, but don't make him see it your way. It seems to me that you're
trying to help your fellow man by praying instead of confronting an
issue face to face. I don't want to condemn your religion, and if you
believe prayer helps, go for it. And why stop there? There is so much
you can do. But don't say that because someone doesn't pray for his
fellow man that he is callous or unfeeling for them. Maybe he would like
to help in his own way. It seems to me that positive up-front action
will have effects that you can feel much better about than you praying
that someone else helps a person ...

> 	I do worry about my fellow man; and I have spent a good deal of time
> doing concrete about it, like working for the March of Dimes, and in the
> past, for Unicef; certainly a much more productive use of time than "praying"
> for help.

Sorry for rehashing ...

> I don't recall condemning anyone in my article; and I certainly
> have every sympathy for those folks who attempt to "live good and caring
> lives"...the problem is that a good many of those who profess to be members
> of that group of people...aren't...and they spend a good deal of their
> time condemning those who are.

There is only one criteria these people need to call you an evil,
unloving, bad-guy person. That is whether you believe in *their* God. If
you don't than they don't give a pile of beans about what else you say.
You are in their black book, and because you are, they can call you any
name they want. They don't need anybody else to help them, they are
perfect. Yet they feel it is their job to help you "live good and
caring lives."

Why can't people accept other people for what they are? Is it really
that tough? It seems that all most of the people on this newsgroup can
do is condemn people because these people don't believe the same things
they do. Sorry about the sloppy wording, but I think I made the point.
This is kind of hard to say, I guess, because I end up condemning htese
people who condemn other people. How about I say that I won't interfere
with their lives if they don't interfere with mine. Or, if you want me
to get immature about it --- "You hit me first!! You started it!"
Have I made myself claer?

Andy Banta			{decvax!allegra!ihnp4}!pur-ee!pucc-k!agz
Dept. of Mental Instability, Purdue University --- "I'm OK, You're a CS Major"
"There's only you and me, and we just disagree."

3b2adm1@ihuxo.UUCP (Lloyd Brock) (10/16/84)

	And here, I recall the words of escaped slave Frederick Douglas:

	"I prayed for twenty years for release; but I received
	no answer until I prayed with my legs."

Prayer, good faith, and action go together.

						Lloyd Brock

rap@oliven.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (10/22/84)

.

>	And here, I recall the words of escaped slave Frederick Douglas:
>
>	"I prayed for twenty years for release; but I received
>	no answer until I prayed with my legs."
>

>Prayer, good faith, and action go together.
>
>						Lloyd Brock

As the Man said, "Faith without works is dead."
--

					Robert A. Pease
    {hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!rap