[net.religion] The Bible as G-d's only word?

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (11/02/84)

In article <qantel.276> ken@qantel.UUCP (Ken Nichols@ex6193) writes:
>The only truth that man can know is revealed in the Bible.  Where is your
>source of truth?
>Where is this said, not in the Bible.  God's word is my only source of truth.
>The arrogance of men is their failure to take into account all of God's
>attributes (as stated clearly in creation and the Bible) and instead to
>pick out only the ones that will fit well into their theology!

But is that not exactly how the Bible was created?  It is well
documented that the canonization of what we now know as the New
Testament -- a process which took place in the 2nd through 4th
centuries C.E.  -- was one of culling through many documents and
discarding those which did not fit with the theology of the time.  We
aren't dealing with a set of documents set down by the Diety, but a set
of documents selected by men from a much larger body.  One must not
underestimate the power of the Roman Church in its efforts to purify
the Apostolic faith.  Do not forget that history, as someone has said,
"is written by the winners."

>I only speak what I have read in the Bible (which can only be understood with
>the Holy Spirit living inside after salvation).  I do not take parts of God
>and parts of His Word to make my theology.

...but by your own admission, you do.  There are other Christian
perspectives on the nature of G-d and Christ that can be fruitfully
examined.

--

						Byron C. Howes
				          {decvax|akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch