[net.religion] Sargent briefly comments on Rosen on Samuelson on Rosen

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (11/10/84)

From Rich Rosen (pyuxd!rlr):

> my points may have been "repeated so often", but they usually go unanswered.

I might mildly point out that either a) you have also, at times, left some
points unanswered, or b) the articles containing those points never reached
Piscataway.  Prime example is:  How do you explain the gifts of the Holy
Spirit -- particularly the most common one, most commonly called "speaking in
tongues"?  How do you explain the fact that in May, 1972, a man laid his hands
on me and prayed, and I received the ability to speak without conscious thought
in a language I don't believe I've ever heard?  And I'm not the only Christian
of my acquaintance with this gift.

> My appeals to people I disagree with often take the form of asking them to use
> reasoning capacities that I think they might have to realize either the truth
> in some point of mine or the fallacy in one of theirs.

How about using your reasoning capacities to see the fallacies in some of your
points?  I am going to write a separate article (so it's short, and so it's
more likely to be read) highly recommending a book which, using excellent
logic, shows that it makes sense for there to be someone outside nature -- and
demolishes the idea that the physical universe is all of reality.

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|seismo|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq

rsk@stat-l (Rich Kulawiec) (11/10/84)

>From: aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent)
>How do you explain the gifts of the Holy
>Spirit -- particularly the most common one, most commonly called "speaking in
>tongues"?  How do you explain the fact that in May, 1972, a man laid his hands
>on me and prayed, and I received the ability to speak without conscious thought
>in a language I don't believe I've ever heard?  And I'm not the only Christian
>of my acquaintance with this gift.

	Before demanding an explanation for such a phenomenom, you prove that
it actually occurred, AND that it is attributable to the "Holy Spirit" -- which
of course means proving that such a thing exists, as well.

	However, offhand, I can think of a number of different explanations for
such phenonenom; perhaps P.T. Barnum's favorite saying is most appropriate:

	"There's a sucker born every minute."
--
Rich Kulawiec @ Purdue University Computing Center
{ decvax, ihnp4, uiucdcs } !pur-ee!rsk & { decwrl, hplabs, ucbvax } !purdue!rsk