[net.religion] Anti-semetism

In article <44@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) writes:

>One point on which I completely support Yiri, though, is this crap about
>"You Jews are being so paranoid about Christian anti-semitism."  That's like
>telling a black he's paranoid for disliking the Confederate flag.  Jews have
>every reason to be paranoid about Christian anti-semitism; there is a long
>history of Catholic and Protestant (and minor Christian sect such as the
>Jehovah's Witnesses) persecution of Jews.  Nor is it long stale history --
>it has been a strong force for repression in this century.

I have two problems with this argument:

(1) The correct analogy is "That's like telling a black he's paranoid for
    disliking the american flag."  The Confederacy stood for repression of
    blacks as a matter of stated principle; while some christian sects at
    various times have persecuted jews, there is no truth to the implication
    that *all* christians are anti-semetic.  To make such a claim is to be
    prejudiced against christians.

(2) What I keep seeing on this net is "You disagreed with my Jewish
    viewpoint; therefore you are anti-semetic."  If thinking that a
    position is wrong means hopeless prejudice against those who hold it,
    then we are all hopelessly prejudiced and there is nothing to be done
    about it.  Obviously I think this is silly; the fact that I have
    disagreements with my friends does not make them cease to be my
    friends.

Yiri's position is that no christian can understand Judaism as well as he
does; if I were to maintain a similar position concerning myself and
christianity, would that be considered anti-semetic?  (I do not believe
such a position, by the way.)

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

Ubi caritas et amor, deus ibi est.