[net.religion] Antinomianism a form of antisemitism

yiri@ucf-cs.UUCP (Yirmiyahu BenDavid) (11/16/84)

From: bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes)

In article <cmu-cs-k.44> tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) writes:

>One point on which I completely support Yiri, though, is this crap about
>"You Jews are being so paranoid about Christian anti-semitism."  That's like
>telling a black he's paranoid for disliking the Confederate flag.  Jews have
>every reason to be paranoid about Christian anti-semitism; there is a long
>history of Catholic and Protestant (and minor Christian sect such as the
>Jehovah's Witnesses) persecution of Jews.  Nor is it long stale history --
>it has been a strong force for repression in this century.

I don't disagree with Yiri at all on this point.  I witness Brunson's
patronizing attitude and the Rev. Rob's attempts at prostylization in
net.religion.jewish and am somewhat appalled.  There have been some rather
veiled references to "christ-killers" in this newsgroup that are TOTALLY
UNCIVILIZED by some of our Capital C Christian friends.  We've both heard
the reverend Jimmy Swaggart deliver unto us his opinion of Jews.  I also
agree with Yiri that some of us small c christians need to speak up
against anti-semitism whether overt or veiled.

What I do disagree with is that christianity is, by definition, antisemitic.
While there exist christian sects with antisemitism as dogma, most of the
historical persecution of the Jews has come from the secular mileu which
surrounds christianity.  This may be a fine point, certainly moot in the
face of the real effects of persecution, but it is an important point when
discussing the direction the main body of christian thought has taken
in evolving from its roots.  (Christianity?  Evolve?  Oh, I'm gonna hear
from Bickford on that one...)

***************************
Yiri comments:
I seem to have missed some articles (4754-70) which may have been
written in the interim here.

My position here is based in some measure on the findings of Parkes
relative to the inherent nature of antinomianism (which is by its very
nature a kind of antisemitism) and on the findings of Bagatti relative
to the diametric antinomian opposition between  the basic principles
of the early church and judaism and its outright persecution and
killings of many of the N'tzarim who would not abandon their keeping
of Torah. These are inherent in in the very roots and sources of
christianity. Unfortunately, there have been a couple who have expected
to read the Interpreter's Dictionary, Parkes and Bagatti and understand
everything... in accordance with the 'instant breakfast'/'fast food'
mentality we have managed to nurture in this country. Nevertheless,
Parkes remains a good starting point for those who would like to get a
handle on antisemitism in the beginnings of the christian church just as
Bagatti remains a good starting point for those who would like to get a
handle on the persecution and killing by the early christian church of
the N'tzarim who would not abandon their observance of Torah. Likewise,
their continued observance of Torah points out the Torah-observant roots
of the authentic early teachings of the N'tzarim when their writings
were actually penned.

From this  perspective, one may then view people who oppose antisemitism
as not REALLY in the christian tradition even though they think of themselves
as representing the better aspects of christianity. I would agree that
these people represent the better aspects of human experience, ethics,
morals, etc. but that this is really at odds with the concepts around
which christianity and the church were conceived.