[net.religion] RICH ROSEN's preconceptions and presumptions.

ken@qantel.UUCP (Ken Nichols@ex6193) (11/14/84)

In article <258@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
>> The problem with these arguments is that you are trying to make man's
>> definition of these words be the standard for your discussion.  In my system
>> the standards of these words are much higher that a human standard.
>>   [KEN NICHOLS in response to David Canzi's followup]
>
>Ken's "higher standard" is nothing more than his own assumptions and
>presumptions about what he feels a deity should be like.  Nothing more.
>(Since Ken has offered to answer all points/questions, I hope he will have
>a response to this.)
>--
>Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
>					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

This is Rich's favorite argument.  One which I have not questioned him much on
as yet.  However, I feel that now is the time.

Where did I get my assumptions and presumptions about God?  Was I born with
them?  I was born only with the knowledge of the difference between right and
wrong.  And that punishment would come from wrong deeds.  Did I get them from
my parents?  I assume here is where you would say 'yes'.  It is true that I
was raised in a Christian atmosphere.  It was not oppresive for me as most
people raised in a Christian home seem to feel.  God was not forced on me.
And I was not told to accept Christ at a young age.  In fact, I did not realize
the truth about Christ in a real way until I was 10 years old.  Sure I knew all
the Bible stories.  I knew the difference between right and wrong.  I knew who
Jesus Christ was in the same way that I know who Abraham Lincoln is.  But I
had no relationship with Him.

When I was ten, I went to a Billy Graham Crusade.  I had heard him speak before
and though I thought he was a good speaker, I had never been affected like I
was that night.  After he was done speaking, and had given the invitation, I
had this overwelming feeling that I had to do something.  I wasn't even sure
what it was.  But I knew I had to go forward.  I ask my father to go forward
with me.  He was pleasantly surprised, and came with me.  That evening I
came to know Jesus Christ not as just a historical figure that I learned about
in church, but as a friend, and as Saviour.  What preconcieved ideas told me
that that was the thing I should do?  (I feel it was the Holy Spirit tugging on
my heart that made me feel I had to go forward.)

Rich, do you claim that you have no assumptions or preconceptions about the
world around you?  If you feel that Christians and many others do, wouldn't
it follow that you might have them too?  Why should you be considered free
from the things that you blame so many others for?  Are you on a higher plane
of thinking than we are, one in which you can judge all reality on a purely
objective basis?  I mean, really, every little thing about the world you
judge without any subjective means?  If this is the case you must be better
than Mr. Spock at controlling your emotions.  I think I have seen quite a bit
of emotion in your postings.  Most emotions are usually associated with
feeling and opinions.  In this case, the feelings and opinions that you have
regarding the world around you.

You also keep asking for evidence.  I have two kinds of evidence while you
only have one.

I have the Bible.  It does take faith to believe it, I'll agree.  But I can't
make you believe it.  Only the Spirit of God can do that.  And I have the
internal (I say from the Holy Spirit, you say from myself) evidences of peace
and security, etc.

You however have science.  An entity that is allways changing as new facts are
discovered.  A belief system that sets forth certain standards about the
universe, and in ten or twenty years, changes the rules because of some new
discovery.

You say that I use cyclical logic in saying that the Bible tells me the Bible
is true, etc.  Well, you also use faulty logic.  Science tells you that science
is right, doesn't it?  Either it does, or some subjective evidence does.  And
if subjective evidence does, then might that subjective evidence contain
preconceptions, etc.?  I think it is possible.

So know it looks like we are down to who's supposed preconceptions are true.
Well, nothing can convince you except the Spirit of God.  Anyway, I'll just
leave it at this and wait for your comments, which I'm sure will be plentifull.
--
"...holding forth the                               Ken Nichols
 word of life..." Phil. 2:16                        ...!ucbvax!dual!qantel!ken

kjm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ken Montgomery) (11/19/84)

[]

>Where did I get my assumptions and presumptions about God?  Was I born with
>them?  I was born only with the knowledge of the difference between right and
>wrong.  And that punishment would come from wrong deeds.

You must have been a very unusual child.  From my own experience, and
from my memories of the behavior of my little brother and other small
children, it would appear that the typical human child is born with no
sense of morality whatsoever, and without any knowledge of punishment to
follow from moral infractions.  Tell me, weren't you ever punished for
doing something wrong as a child?

>You also keep asking for evidence.  I have two kinds of evidence while you
>only have one.
>
>I have the Bible.  It does take faith to believe it, I'll agree.  But I can't
>make you believe it.  Only the Spirit of God can do that.

Things taken only on faith do not constitute evidence about the nature
of reality, since they are not verifiable via *objective, repeatable*
experiments.

>  And I have the
>internal (I say from the Holy Spirit, you say from myself) evidences of peace
>and security, etc.

This is also not evidence.  We have no way of knowing for sure that
you do in fact gain peace and security, etc.

>You however have science.  An entity that is allways changing as new facts are
>discovered.  A belief system that sets forth certain standards about the
>universe, and in ten or twenty years, changes the rules because of some new
>discovery.

As opposed to a completely unadaptive system...

Entities which cannot adapt are prey to environmental changes.  A
system of beliefs which cannot change as new information becomes
available is liable to be proven false eventually, and thus be
destroyed as a viable entity.  A system which can change, however,
will be viable into the far future.

Why are you so resistant to change, anyway?  Is this the price of
your peace and security?

>You say that I use cyclical logic in saying that the Bible tells me the Bible
>is true, etc.  Well, you also use faulty logic.  Science tells you that science
>is right, doesn't it?

I don't know about Mr. Rosen, but I consider science to be reasonable
because it *works*, not because of what any person says about it.
Nothing in the bible has ever put more food on the table.  Agricultural
research, on the other hand, has.  This is, to my mind, an indication
that science has something to say about the nature of reality, whereas
christianity does not.

>  Either it does, or some subjective evidence does.  And
>if subjective evidence does, then might that subjective evidence contain
>preconceptions, etc.?  I think it is possible.

What is "subjective evidence"?  Your statement contains (apparently)
contradictory terminology.

>So know it looks like we are down to who's supposed preconceptions are true.
>Well, nothing can convince you except the Spirit of God.  Anyway, I'll just
>leave it at this and wait for your comments, which I'm sure will be plentifull.

Nothing can convince *me* except hard evidence.  Do you have any way to
*show me beyond a shadow of a doubt* that the "Spirit of God" even exists?

--
"Shredder-of-hapless-smurfs"
Ken Montgomery

<>

As a christian AND a scientist(biologist) I felt I *had*
to comment on some of Ken`s statements:

In article <314@qantel.UUCP> ken@qantel.UUCP (Ken Nichols@ex6193) writes:
>  I was born only with the knowledge of the difference between right and
>wrong.  And that punishment would come from wrong deeds.  Did I get them from
>my parents?  I assume here is where you would say 'yes'.

	I would also say Yes, at least to a large degree.  A persons
initial concept of right and wrong comes largely from ones parents
during the first two yrs or so of life -- before any conscious memories.

>Rich, do you claim that you have no assumptions or preconceptions about the
>world around you?  If you feel that Christians and many others do, wouldn't
>it follow that you might have them too?  Why should you be considered free
>from the things that you blame so many others for?

	Here I agree with Ken, *everyone* has preconceptions,
including myself:  knowing this I try to at *least* identify
my own preconceptions and own up to them.

>You however have science.  An entity that is allways changing as new facts are
>discovered.  A belief system that sets forth certain standards about the
>universe, and in ten or twenty years, changes the rules because of some new
>discovery.

*flame on*
	I consider this statement *entirely* wrong. *Science* per se
is *not* a belief system, it is a methodology, an approach to discovery.
Fundamental to this methodology is a willingness to modify concepts
as new data come to light.  To insist on clinging to old "theories"
in the face of contrary data is contrary to the very basis of science.
(Admittedly I know of some otherwise intelligent scientists who insist
on clinging to pet theories out of pride, but that just proves scientists
are human too.)  You seem to have confused *science* with *scientism*,
which *is* a belief system based on the concept that science is the
*only* basis for understanding, thus elevating it to a religion.

>You say that I use cyclical logic in saying that the Bible tells me the Bible
>is true, etc.  Well, you also use faulty logic.  Science tells you that science
>is right, doesn't it?  Either it does, or some subjective evidence does.

	Wrong again - The scientific method is validated by the fact that
it works.  After all where did computers come from??

>--
>"...holding forth the                               Ken Nichols
> word of life..." Phil. 2:16                        ...!ucbvax!dual!qantel!ken

	A christian *can* be rational(I *hope*).