[net.religion] reply to sargent

yiri@ucf-cs.UUCP (Yirmiyahu BenDavid) (11/25/84)

From aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) Sun Feb  6 01:28:16 206
From: aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent)
Newsgroups: net.religion
Subject: Re: Religion is Religion, not history
Date: Fri, 16-Nov-84 10:10:35 EST

>> = Ken Nichols
>  = Rich Kulawiec

>> Are you trying to say that it's possible that the writers of the Bible got
>> together and concocted this scheme to deceive millions of people?

> Sure, why not?

What on earth would it gain them?  If the early Christians had been like some
of the medieval Popes, I might doubt as you do.  But I really doubt that they
would have sacrificed their lives for something they knew to be a lie.  Surely
the persecution of Christians is documented in non-Christian history.

*************************
Yiri responds:
The killing of N'tzarim by Christians is also documented history even
according to Christian scholars. Why is there so much resistance against
accepting it? Similarly, Parkes notes that antinomianism and
antisemitism were inherent in Christianity from its inception. Why is
that being argued? Parkes notes that the Christianity of the 4th century
was dramatically different from its original concept. Why is that being
argued so vehemently?

Not only that, it is curious how closely archaeological discoveries in the
Mideast agree with Biblical passages.  Surely you're not going to claim that
this was done by hundreds of people over hundreds of years just to put over
an elaborate hoax?

Yiri responds:
If he does not claim that the 'New Testament' is a hoax, I certainly
will. The Romans duped you quite effectively.