[net.religion] A Call to Religious Unity - The Scientific Faith

In article <241@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:

>I suppose that the idea is to look beneath the surface of human religions to
>find what they hold in common, and to suppose that to be "true".  This could
>(in the long run) produce a very catholic and adaptive theology that would
>allow for cultural differences.
>
>However, I don't think that the religious approach is the correct way to
>deal with the task of seeking commonality of religion.  For example, I can
>point to their assumption of a single universal god as one of the
>prejudices that they haven't given up.
>
>Instead, I endorse science (sociology, anthropology, sociobiology, etc.) as
>the route to understanding.  (And for that matter, why shouldn't religions
>be designed scientifically, rather than by cabal and political pressures?)
>Science is the methodology that best allows casting off of prejudices of
>tradition, and has a long history of doing so.

Science applied as a universal system of knoledge (which it is not) has a
bad history of prejudice against the supernatural.  When you start from the
position that you will accept no supernatural causes, is it any wonder that
you end up endorsing atheism or agnosticism?

>I can just imagine bahais happily chorusing "Oh yes, science is true too."
>That's the oldest political trick in the book.  Put your seal of approval on
>something you can't fight, and then try to regulate it.  Occam's razor?
>"Oh, science doesn't work for religion.  It's separate." they'll say.

Well, yes indeed, it doesn't work unless you disallow irreproducible actions.
The claim that "we don't need God to explain the day-to-day working of the
universe", if true, still doesn't imply "there is no God."  If God does some
action to the universe only once ever, there is no way to determine this.
You can always explain it away with a purely physical explanation, and
unless you want to guarantee rejecting God, you can't simply opt for the
purely physical.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (11/30/84)

In article <1420@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@maryland.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
> Science applied as a universal system of knoledge (which it is not) has a
> bad history of prejudice against the supernatural.  When you start from the
> position that you will accept no supernatural causes, is it any wonder that
> you end up endorsing atheism or agnosticism?

(Hey, no fair!  I prefaced my comments with a "flame on"!  Well, if you want
 be rational about it, I'm game.)

All human endeavors suffer from prejudices.  But I think science has a much
better record on overcoming prejudice than religions do.  In order to know
about a supernatural cause, you must have a supernatural effect.  A great
many phenomina once considered supernatural have been scientifically
investigated and found real, from meteors to zombis.  If you show a
supernatural effect, someone will be happy to investigate it.  Prejudice
against supernatural causes is real and justified because they so frequently
are displaced by natural cause explanations.

> The claim that "we don't need God to explain the day-to-day working of the
> universe", if true, still doesn't imply "there is no God."  If God does some
> action to the universe only once ever, there is no way to determine this.
> You can always explain it away with a purely physical explanation, and
> unless you want to guarantee rejecting God, you can't simply opt for the
> purely physical.

You make a fine case for agnosticism instead of atheism here.  Which, as an
agnostic, I agree with.  I'm willing to believe in anything physical and
demonstrable.  I don't believe or disbelieve in hypothetical supernatural
beings on principle.  (However, I specifically disbelieve in a large number
of theologies, which is another story and based on different criteria.)

Another problem with the idea of the "supernatural" is that it is a
garbage-bin category.  Whatever gets rejected or yet to be categorize
by other classifications is thrown into this mish-mosh category.  Essentially,
the supernatural is the same as the "God of the cracks".  It used to be that
almost the whole world's functioning was supposedly due to god.  But then,
along came science and god's role was less than was previously thought.
Until now, when god seems to do nothing except what science hasn't yet
explained, what science has let slip through the cracks.  (You can add logic,
mathematics, philosophy, and a few other sources of natural explanations
to the term "science" in this argument.)  The same is true of the term
"supernatural".  It is a remanent of its former self.  Both god and the
supernatural are being whittled down to that which is unknowable,
unprovable, undemonstrable, without effect, and thus unimportant.
Unimportant because the questions are undecidable and there are no known
results.  Thus agnosticism.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

In article <249@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:

>(Hey, no fair!  I prefaced my comments with a "flame on"!  Well, if you want
> be rational about it, I'm game.)

>All human endeavors suffer from prejudices.  But I think science has a much
>better record on overcoming prejudice than religions do.

Maybe I'm exceptionally dense, but I don't understand how you counter a
prejudice with another prejudice.  Unless, of course, you want to claim that
science is the True prejudice, as Rich does.  Then you have science, the
True Faith.

> A great
>many phenomina once considered supernatural have been scientifically
>investigated and found real, from meteors to zombis.  If you show a
>supernatural effect, someone will be happy to investigate it.  Prejudice
>against supernatural causes is real and justified because they so frequently
>are displaced by natural cause explanations.

Why do I have to keep exlaining the difference between the ressurection and
things like meteors?????????  [Enter patient mode]  Meteors, zombies,
spontaneous generation, et al., are phenomena which repeat themselves and
are readily amenable to scientific observation.  Supernatural explanations
of these are malformed natural law, not claims of miracles.  The ressurection
is (supposedly) not to be repeated, not available for observation.  [Enter
exasperated mode]  There's no way in heaven or hell that I am going to
accept an analogy between meteors and the Resurrection.

>You make a fine case for agnosticism instead of atheism here.  Which, as an
>agnostic, I agree with.  I'm willing to believe in anything physical and
>demonstrable.  I don't believe or disbelieve in hypothetical supernatural
>beings on principle.  (However, I specifically disbelieve in a large number
>of theologies, which is another story and based on different criteria.)

>Another problem with the idea of the "supernatural" is that it is a
>garbage-bin category.  Whatever gets rejected or yet to be categorize
>by other classifications is thrown into this mish-mosh category.  Essentially,
>the supernatural is the same as the "God of the cracks".  It used to be that
>almost the whole world's functioning was supposedly due to god.  But then,
>along came science and god's role was less than was previously thought.
>Until now, when god seems to do nothing except what science hasn't yet
>explained, what science has let slip through the cracks.  (You can add logic,
>mathematics, philosophy, and a few other sources of natural explanations
>to the term "science" in this argument.)  The same is true of the term
>"supernatural".  It is a remanent of its former self.  Both god and the
>supernatural are being whittled down to that which is unknowable,
>unprovable, undemonstrable, without effect, and thus unimportant.
>Unimportant because the questions are undecidable and there are no known
>results.  Thus agnosticism.

Well, we all know that Christians generally accept that the source of the
regular behavior of the universe is God.  We derive this from our knowledge
of God, not vice versa.  I don't see anything wrong with the "God of the
Cracks", because it's quite obviously an illusion.  A God would HAVE to
appear this way, proportional to how often he tore away natural law to
reveal himself.  Natural law, even if it is provided by God, must serve to
conceal Him.  It is as if God has erected a wall, on which he has painted
the universe, and what we see of him is thus where he has left cracks.
[Attention heresy hounds: I realize this sounds very Buddhist, but I don't
want to take time here to recast this in Christian terms.]  The truth in
"God of the Cracks" is the cracks; there is no reason to expect glimpses
of God to look like natural law.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe