[net.religion] Bible on sacredness of human life

carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (11/11/84)

<>

Tom Albrecht writes:

> The reason I am against abortion and for capital punishment is that this is
> what the Bible teaches.  The Bible says that human beings are created in
> the image of God and that the taking of innocent human life is wrong, so
> abortion is wrong.

   The Bible says some other things, too.  Here is a sampling:

[Ex. 21:28]  When an ox gores a man or a woman to death, the ox shall be
stoned....

[Lev. 20:16]  If a woman approaches any animal to have intercourse with it,
you shall kill both woman and beast.

[Ex. 21:17]  Whoever reviles his father or mother shall be put to death.

[Ex. 20:5]  For I the Lord your God am a jealous God; I punish the children
for the sins of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who
hate me.

   Anyone who thinks The Boss was kidding about being jealous should
consider the following passage [Deut. 13:6-16]:

   "If your brother, your father's son or your mother's son, or your son
or daughter, or the wife of your bosom or your dearest friend should
entice you secretly to go and worship other gods -- gods whom neither
you nor your fathers have known, gods of the people round about you,
near or far, at one end of the land or the other -- then you shall not
consent or listen.  You shall have no pity on him, you shall not spare
him nor shield him, you shall put him to death; your own hand shall
be the first to be raised against him and then all the people shall
follow.  You shall stone him to death, because he tried to lead you
astray from the Lord your God who brought you out of Egypt, out of the
land of slavery.  All Israel shall hear of it and be afraid; never
again will anything as wicked as this be done among you.

   "When you hear that miscreants have appeared in any of the cities which
the Lord your God is giving you to occupy, and have led its inhabitants
astray by calling on them to serve other gods whom you have not known,
then you shall investigate the matter carefully.  If, after diligent
examination, the report proves to be true and it is shown that this
abominable thing has been done among you, you shall put the inhabitants
of that city to the sword.  You shall lay the city under solemn ban
together with everything in it.  You shall gather all its goods into
the square and burn both city and goods as a complete offering to
the Lord your God; and it shall remain a mound of ruins, never to be
rebuilt."

   Apparently the religion of the Hebrews spread through having the Toughest
God in the Neighborhood; the other gods must have quietly left town after
hearing a few speeches like this.  It is also evident that the Lord takes,
shall we say, a broad view of the "sacredness of human life."

				Richard Carnes
				ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

Education:  That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish
their lack of understanding.  [A. Bierce]

teitz@aecom.UUCP (11/14/84)

> [...]
> abominable thing has been done among you, you shall put the inhabitants
> of that city to the sword.  You shall lay the city under solemn ban
> together with everything in it.  You shall gather all its goods into
> the square and burn both city and goods as a complete offering to
> the Lord your God; and it shall remain a mound of ruins, never to be
> rebuilt."
>
>    Apparently the religion of the Hebrews spread through having the Toughest
> God in the Neighborhood; the other gods must have quietly left town after
> hearing a few speeches like this.  It is also evident that the Lord takes,
> shall we say, a broad view of the "sacredness of human life."
>
> 				Richard Carnes
> 				ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes
>
> Education:  That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish
> their lack of understanding.  [A. Bierce]

     This is not meant to be a complee response to this article but raher just  a start.
      I live in America. The country has laws by which I must abide. I have
 very little power in changing these laws, in fact almost none at all except
 for the right to cast a vote in an election to elect a person sympathetic
 to my views.
      If I were to disobey a law of this country I would expect to be
 punished according to the laws of this country. I could not really argue
 and complain that the law does not recognize the human soul or spirit. In
 fact such arguing would only be wasting time.
      Why then, do you say that the Being who set up human life in the first
 place and put us all here ( as I believe G-D did and does every day ),why
 can He not make rules about how to live in his province, which we call the
 universe. And if we transgress why should G-D not be able to punish us as
 He sees fit. I's no as if He's meteing out a punishment without our knowing
 of it. All the rules are spelled out in the Bible ( sometimes not too
 clearly, but the're there nonetheless ).If G-D gave us a spirit and soul,
 He can take it if we break the rules of the game ( and even if we don't ).

					Eliyahu Teitz.

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (11/20/84)

Richard Carnes (gargoyle!carnes) writes:

>  Apparently the religion of the Hebrews spread through having the Toughest
> God in the Neighborhood....

preceded by a variety of Old Testament quotes prescribing punishment by
death for various things, including long passages on destroying people or
cities which sought to turn people away from the "Toughest God" (that is what
He is, actually, but that's not my point).  It would be interesting to hear
comments from the Jewish net community (e.g. Yiri) on those passages; but my
understanding would be that the Lord a) wanted no one to be hurt by turning
away from Him, b) wanted to impress upon not only the Hebrews but also all
future generations the vital importance of holiness -- that if you turn away
from God and act in any destructive manner (e.g. something so seemingly trivial
as reviling your father or mother), something inside you dies.  In a way, it
could be said that the Hebrews and the Hebrew Law, with so many prescriptions
of physical death, were a prophetic type of the Christian idea (or does it also
show up in Judaism? I don't know) of spiritual death.

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq

act@pur-phy.UUCP (Alex C. Tselis) (12/03/84)

> [...]
>       If I were to disobey a law of this country I would expect to be
>  punished according to the laws of this country. I could not really argue
>  and complain that the law does not recognize the human soul or spirit. In
>  fact such arguing would only be wasting time.
>       Why then, do you say that the Being who set up human life in the first
>  place and put us all here ( as I believe G-D did and does every day ),why
>  can He not make rules about how to live in his province, which we call the
>  universe. And if we transgress why should G-D not be able to punish us as
>  He sees fit. I's no as if He's meteing out a punishment without our knowing
>  of it. All the rules are spelled out in the Bible ( sometimes not too
>  clearly, but the're there nonetheless ).If G-D gave us a spirit and soul,
>  He can take it if we break the rules of the game ( and even if we don't ).

I'd like to ask the following thing:  Suppose that someone with a different
religion came up to you, and tried to convert you to their religion.  The
above quotes from the Bible seem to say that you should immediately beat them
up, if not kill them.  Is this what you would do?  If not, then you would seem
to be disobeying God's rules.  I'm assuming that the above quotes from the
Bible are accurate. I'm assuming that you wouldn't murder a proselytizer from a
different religion. How do you square this with what you say about obeying
God's Law?  It seems to me that the Bible is an incredibly complicated
work, involving history, metaphor, hortatory philosophy, ethics, and a lot
of other stuff like that.  People have used the Bible for very unChristian
ends, justifying the most pernicious doctrines by saying that it's in
the Bible.  What they're really doing is starting out with their own
prejudices, finding something in the Book which seems to fit what they need,
and then using it to justify themselves.   The Bible has been used to justify
all sorts of bloodbaths and misery that simply saying that one does something
or believes something because it's in the Bible is no longer good enough.
I think that when people do this, they are showing great disrespect to both
the Bible and to God, that they are verging on some sort of blasphemy.
The best parts of the Bible, and those closest to the REAL spirit of both
Christianity and Judaism, are the parts which exhort love and tolerance for
others.  This does NOT include calling people names when they disagree with
you, it does NOT include murdering innocent civilians in Central America
(or even the guilty ones), it does NOT include throwing the first stone.
It certainly does NOT include pillorying those who disagree with you.
The story of the Samaritan is very instructive in this respect, I think.
Furthermore, part of the soul God gave you is your ability to think.  And that
means that you are to use your ability to think to understand the spirit of
the Bible, not just its words.  The words themselves are arbitrary constructions
but the concepts contained therein are not, and are the very meat of both
Judaism and Christianity.  Man was not made for the Law, but the Law was made
for Man.

agz@pucc-k (Andrew Banta) (12/04/84)

> I'd like to ask the following thing:  Suppose that someone with a different
> religion came up to you, and tried to convert you to their religion.  The
> above quotes from the Bible seem to say that you should immediately beat them
> up, if not kill them.  Is this what you would do?  If not, then you would seem
> to be disobeying God's rules.

Ok, this God has made up "The Rules".  We take this for granted.
Now, why should it ask us to carry out judgement and sentencing on these
rules?  If it wants to make the rules, it whould be the one responsible
for carrying them out.  I mean it would seem far more reasonable to have
a God, who is all knowing and all powerful carry these out.  Humans are
a little to adept at making mistakes ...

Andy Banta			{decvax!allegra!ihnp4}!pur-ee!pucc-k!agz
Dept. of Mental Instability, Purdue University --- "I'm OK, You're a CS Major"