[net.religion] Flame: Sargent's theory of homosexuality

sdyer@bbncca.ARPA (Steve Dyer) (11/12/84)

[net.religioners, pardon this flaming digression.  This article appeared here,
 so I have chosen to address it here.]

>In a sense, an individual's sexuality is indeed a matter of choice.  But the
>choice is between believing that the other sex is a friend or an enemy.  There
>may be variants on this; one time when I had to battle some strong homosexual
>feelings was a time when I felt that God would (for reasons of His own) never
>allow me to have an intimate relationship with a woman -- the result of which
>would be that if I tried, God would ensure that I got badly hurt; so a woman
>would be, in a way, an enemy.  (Mind you, this is one of several aspects of my
>view of God that have been mellowed out in the last couple of years.)  My
>thesis is that confirmed homosexuals became convinced very early on -- in early
>childhood, perhaps -- that the other sex was somehow an enemy, and that being
>intimate with an other-sex person would be extremely threatening.  However, the
>mere fact that their belief is very deep-seated, and probably based on very deep
>wounds, does not mean that it can't be changed.  Having God's love and power to
>assist helps a lot.

Lissen, Sargent, we had this discussion a loong time ago, in a newsgroup
far far away (I think it was net.singles.)

STOP SUPERIMPOSING YOUR OWN NEUROSES ON GAY PEOPLE, OK?

It is bad enough that we have to suffer through his ruminations on
childhood, divorce and his own sexual orientation, given that he dismisses
serious counseling as a valid option.  But it is outrageous that he should
take these peculiar, private explanations for his neuroses and paint gay people
with the same color.

DON'T TRY TO MAKE STATEMENTS ABOUT WHAT "GAY PEOPLE" ARE LIKE, GIVEN YOUR
ADMITTED LACK OF EXPERTISE IN THE AREA.

The mindless presumption of this guy seems endless.  Worst of all, you'll
take him to task for it, he'll allow that maybe he did overreach things a
bit, but it sure won't prevent him from making the same kind of statement
a few months later.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

sdyer@bbncca.ARPA (Steve Dyer) (11/16/84)

Read the article again.  The passage:

>My thesis is that confirmed homosexuals became convinced very early on -- in early
>childhood, perhaps -- that the other sex was somehow an enemy, and that being
>intimate with an other-sex person would be extremely threatening.  However, the
>mere fact that their belief is very deep-seated, and probably based on very deep
>wounds, does not mean that it can't be changed.  Having God's love and power to
>assist helps a lot.
>       Jeff Sargent

belies your charge that he was only talking about himself.  Sargent has already
made the claim that he isn't a "confirmed homosexual."  If he limited his
comments to his own peccadillos, then I would just chalk it up to good 'ol
Jeff.  The offensive part is that he is fearless in making claims about other
people, and these claims are NOT innocent charges.  The other sex is NOT an
enemy to me, or to any other gay people I know, nor am I, or others, "wounded."
Indeed, the only "wounds" I bear are those made by people like Sargent
who persist in making careless remarks like those above.

Your comments:

>Oh, come ON, Steve!  Gays are no more NOR LESS human than anyone else
>and will have just as many (or as few) neuroses as anyone else!

are pretty irrelevant to this discussion.  I have never ever made a claim
about the mental health of entire groups of people, in distinction to the
first quoted paragraph above which makes a pretty good case for the
questionable mental health of gay people.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer
sdyer@bbncca.ARPA

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (11/20/84)

From Steve Dyer, in response to my article giving my thoughts on homosexuality:

> STOP SUPERIMPOSING YOUR OWN NEUROSES ON GAY PEOPLE, OK?

Sorry, but I still claim that homosexuality is a form of neurosis, and
neurosis is a result of sin -- holding to false beliefs about oneself and
one's environment.  There are many cases of homosexuals being delivered
from homosexuality by the power of God.  (I'll probably expand on this idea
when I respond to Richard Brower's article.)

> It is bad enough that we have to suffer through his ruminations on
> childhood, divorce and his own sexual orientation, given that he dismisses
> serious counseling as a valid option.  But it is outrageous that he should
> take these peculiar, private explanations for his neuroses and paint gay
> people with the same color.

Actually the last half of the first sentence is no longer true....  I am
seeing regularly a man who is now officially a minister, but whose previous
work was full-time marriage & family counseling; he is thus very helpful in
helping me sort out my relationship problems.  I used net.singles as a support
group because it's easier to trust people at a distance than people I see
regularly -- the distant ones can't do much to me, especially since by the
time I see their responses, my hurting emotional state has passed.

> DON'T TRY TO MAKE STATEMENTS ABOUT WHAT "GAY PEOPLE" ARE LIKE, GIVEN YOUR
> ADMITTED LACK OF EXPERTISE IN THE AREA.

Perhaps in one way I am being a bit presumptive, since I've never actually
fallen into homosexuality full-fledgedly.  But I have had more struggles with
homosexual feelings than most people I've talked to; so I'm not 100% ignorant.

I do wonder why my statements provoke a flame.  It has been my experience that
heated denials often are a cover for a truth that the denier does not want
to accept or admit.  Might I suggest that you examine yourself and see if
perhaps, at bottom, you really do have some -- shall we say, reservations --
about homosexuality.

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq

ken@ihuxq.UUCP (ken perlow) (11/21/84)

--
>> Sorry, but I still claim that homosexuality is a form of neurosis,
>> and neurosis is a result of sin -- holding to false beliefs about
>> oneself and one's environment.  There are many cases of homosexuals
>> being delivered from homosexuality by the power of God.

>> Jeff Sargent

Clearly not as many as being delivered *to* homosexuality--and you
don't need a revelation to see that; queueing theory will do fine.
Actually, the whole fundamentalist dogma fits into a queueing model
rather nicely.  Until the big interrupt comes, anyway.

But this "neurosis is a result of sin"--what an intriguing hypothesis.
Don't stop there, Jeff.  Surely other diseases are caused by sin, too.
Especially the really disgusting ones like cancer of the pancreas and
the black death.  The so-called "germ theory" is an even more
invidiously humanist plot than evolution.

How do we get rid of this sin?  Heh, heh (thank you, Mr. Calvin)--
we *beat* it out of them!  But wait, this is the 20th Century.  What
are we, barbarians?  We don't have to resort to *fisticuffs* any more.
We can beat the odious sin out of those filthy, perverted (but
otherwise lovable) sinners *electronically*.  In net.religion.
*EVERY SINGLE DAY*.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (11/23/84)

For those who think homosexuality is learned, or a sin, the following
information presented on Tuesday's PBS program "Brain and Language"
might be interesting:
   (1) More homosexual males are born of mothers who suffered severe
stress in pregnancy.  Aren't unborn children supposed to be free of sin?
   (2) There is a chemical test, whose nature I didn't get straight,
that reacts one way with female brain tissue and a different way with
male.  The brain tissue of a homosexual male reacts like a female.
I suppose there are ways in which learning to react like a female
to male stimulation could cause this effect, but it seems a bit
unlikely.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

sdyer@bbncca.ARPA (Steve Dyer) (11/26/84)

>=Sargent
>Perhaps in one way I am being a bit presumptive, since I've never actually
>fallen into homosexuality full-fledgedly.  But I have had more struggles with
>homosexual feelings than most people I've talked to; so I'm not 100% ignorant.
>
>I do wonder why my statements provoke a flame.  It has been my experience that
>heated denials often are a cover for a truth that the denier does not want
>to accept or admit.  Might I suggest that you examine yourself and see if
>perhaps, at bottom, you really do have some -- shall we say, reservations --
>about homosexuality.

It's clear in Sargent's entire response to my article that he has missed
the point.  He still is writing out of befuddlement, amazed that anyone
could possibly take offense at his bizarre generalizations.  Regardless of
their origin (more on that later) his comments are akin to so-called
christians proseletyzing among Jews, so filled with self-righteousness that
they do not see their capacity for insult.  I make no comment on his last
paragraph here, except to repeat it, so it can stand off by itself, as
another example of the kind of ad-hominem double-talk and evasiveness we
see repeatedly coming from the fundamentalist corner.

I received a response by mail to my first comment on Jeff's article:

>     I get the impression that Jeff Sargent's problem is
>     that he uses introspection to understand humanity, and
>     (badly) generalizes from his own experiences and neuroses to
>     the rest of the world.  It's an easy trap to fall into,
>     especially when one is young and lonely -- which he is.

This just about sums it up.  I have no problem hearing Jeff's explanations
of his own mental processes, but he needs to understand that only Jeff works
like Jeff, and to assume otherwise is to invite misunderstanding.  To then
publically propose this as the mechanism by which 10% of the population
operates, is to provoke anger and flames.  I speak up here against Jeff
Sargent's view of gay people, not because, as he so glibly states, that
I have "reservations about homosexuality", but because *someone* needs
to state the contrary--a statement like his should not go unchallenged.
--

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Cheshire Chuqui) (11/27/84)

In article <1504@pucc-h> aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) writes:
>Sorry, but I still claim that homosexuality is a form of neurosis, and
>neurosis is a result of sin -- holding to false beliefs about oneself and
>one's environment.  There are many cases of homosexuals being delivered
>from homosexuality by the power of God.  (I'll probably expand on this idea
>when I respond to Richard Brower's article.)
And I still claim that the world is flat. You show me the literature backing
up your claim and I'll show you the literature backing up mine. Both are
equally valid.

I can think of any number of cases where homosexuals were reassured that
they were 'normal' by religion as well. It works both ways. As it should,
of course. Some homosexuals are neurotic, but then, so are some Christians.
If we choose our studies carefully enough we can prove anything while
proving nothing.

chuq
--
From the center of a Plaid pentagram:		Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

  ~But you know, monsieur, that as long as she wears the claw of the dragon
  upon her breast you can do nothing-- her soul belongs to me!~

geb@cadre.UUCP (11/27/84)

> aren't unborn children free of sin?

Not according to the so-called "Christians" they're not!
I think most schools of thought still hold that an unbaptized
baby goes to hell, or at least "limbo".  Wonderful!

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/28/84)

[Once again, Jeff's response article that Steve Dyer quoted never got here.
 If someone (say the author) would... etc.]

>>I do wonder why my statements provoke a flame.  It has been my experience that
>>heated denials often are a cover for a truth that the denier does not want
>>to accept or admit.  [SARGENT]

Oh, boy.  Like when, if someone accuses you of wishful thinking as the basis of
your religious belief, you call him a liar.  Like when, if someone exposes the
fact that your analysis (of the real causes of what you subjectively believe to
be the work of god) is shoddy, presuming pre-chosen conclusions, and avoiding
less presumptive possibilities, you claim that the burden of proof is on
THEIR shoulders to prove YOU wrong.  Or you call them one of "Satan's secret
agents", or victims of "Satan's propaganda".  I'll stop now.  I think I've
summed it up.

> I received a response by mail to my first comment on Jeff's article:
>
> >     I get the impression that Jeff Sargent's problem is
> >     that he uses introspection to understand humanity, and
> >     (badly) generalizes from his own experiences and neuroses to
> >     the rest of the world.  It's an easy trap to fall into,
> >     especially when one is young and lonely -- which he is.
>
> This just about sums it up.  I have no problem hearing Jeff's explanations
> of his own mental processes, but he needs to understand that only Jeff works
> like Jeff, and to assume otherwise is to invite misunderstanding.  [DYER]

Agreed.
--
"So, it was all a dream!" --Mr. Pither
"No, dear, this is the dream; you're still in the cell." --his mother

ltn@lems.UUCP (Les Niles) (11/28/84)

In article <nsc.1903> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Cheshire Chuqui) writes:
>... Some homosexuals are neurotic, but then, so are some Christians.
>chuq
>--

Who says they're mutually exclusive?

cb@hlwpc.UUCP (Carl Blesch) (11/29/84)

>> aren't unborn children free of sin?

>Not according to the so-called "Christians" they're not!

Also not according to "real" Christians (there's those funny
quotation marks again, Paul!).  Christians believe
that all persons (from the moment of conception) are by nature
sinners.  Everyone inherits this sin condition as a result of Adam's fall.
The only person who can claim exception to this is Jesus.

>I think most schools of thought still hold that an unbaptized
>baby goes to hell, or at least "limbo".  Wonderful!

Maybe Roman Catholic schools of thought do, and maybe even some others.
But I can't be sure that *most* schools of thought do.
I can only speak for my denomination, Presbyterian, which makes
it very clear that infant baptism is not "magic," and that the
sacrament itself conveys no saving power.  The sacrament is a
symbol of God's acceptance of the child into a covenant family
of believers.  Then thru the nurture of these believers, this child can
come to a point in his/her life where he/she has to personally accept
Christ to inherit eternal life with Him.

At and after this point, a decision against Christ (or a lack of
decision for Christ) will mean eternal separation from God (i.e. hell)
upon earthly death.  But what do we believe happens to a child
(baptized or unbaptized) of believing parents (or even of unbelieving
parents) who loses his/her earthly life before he/she is capable
of making such a decision?
We don't know for sure, but we do believe that God in His infinite wisdom
has worked out His own way to give eternal life to those whom He has
chosen, just as we believe He elected those people who are to
be His since before the beginning of time.  (Any theologians of
Presbyterian persuasion who can confirm or deny the accuracy of
my statements?  If I'm wrong, please correct me.)

This latter point may sound like a wishy-washy copout to some,
but I believe it's the best we can do with our finite knowledge of
God.  The real copout, in my mind, is by those people who aren't
believers in Christ, but because of certain church dogma
they may remember from their childhood, feel a need to
baptize their newborn "just in case."  Actually, that's not a
copout -- that's superstition!

Carl Blesch

jeffh@brl-tgr.ARPA (Jeff Hanes ) (11/30/84)

>> aren't unborn children free of sin?

Yes!

>Not according to the so-called "Christians" they're not!
>I think most schools of thought still hold that an unbaptized
>baby goes to hell, or at least "limbo".  Wonderful!

When did you grow up?  The Middle Ages?  I've been a Christian
for most of my life, and I've NEVER heard anyone seriously support
such a doctrine in ANY of the half-dozen or so churches I have
regularly attended (I move a lot).

It must be nice to be able to accuse a whole group of ignorance
and intolerance without bothering to find out what they believe
first!  I admit, there are Christians as hypocritical as you show
yourself to be here, and they thoroughly embarass me!

	"Insert nonsensical quote here"

USnail:	508 Wheel Rd.		UUCP:	{seismo,decvax,unc}!brl-bmd!jeffh
	Bel Air, MD  21014	ARPA:	<brl-bmd!jeffh@seismo.ARPA>

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (11/30/84)

Jeff Sargent:

> From Steve Dyer, in response to my article giving my thoughts on
> homosexuality:
>
> > STOP SUPERIMPOSING YOUR OWN NEUROSES ON GAY PEOPLE, OK?
>
> Sorry, but I still claim that homosexuality is a form of neurosis, and
> neurosis is a result of sin -- holding to false beliefs about oneself and
> one's environment.

If you have factual evidence to back up your claim, let's see it!  If not,
your claim reduces to mere unsubstantiated opinion, and you should label it
as such, not proclaim it as the ultimate truth.

> I do wonder why my statements provoke a flame.

I don't -- extreme egocentrism very often does.
--
Saumya Debray, 	SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp:
	    {cbosgd, decvax, ihnp4, mcvax, cmcl2}!philabs \
		      {amd, akgua, decwrl, utzoo}!allegra  > !sbcs!debray
			      {tektronix, metheus}!ogcvax /
	CSNet: debray@sbcs

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (12/04/84)

As a noted author (I can't remember who) oncce said:
"Man created god in his own image so he would have something to strive for"
Your inference that something is sinful must mean that you have taken the
bull(####) by the horns and achieved the goal of all mankind.
My condolances. Since you are now god I have a small
list of things which I think are sinful. Perhaps if you would give me
a call we could really clean house.
Jeanette Zobjeck