[net.religion] Jeff Hanes on unbaptised infants

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (12/03/84)

I know a lot of Catholic and Anglican theologians who preach that
unbaptised infants go to limbo. Some of them teach at the University
of Toronto. There is one Baptist lecturer here who is holding out for
hellfire and damnation, but then, if you believe him, more or less
everybody is headed for that anyway.

Incidentally, the other Baptists I know here think that he is way out in
left field -- whereas the other informed Catholics I know are pretty divided
over this issue. (The uninformed Catholics mostly don't know what limbo
*is*.) Last month there was much speculation as to where aborted fetuses
went (I know -- this isn't net.abortion) so I got a fairly wide
sampling of Christian views on precisely where the unbaptised went.
Since ``eucumanism'' (I probably spelt that wrong, but its not
on-line) is a major buzz-word at the U of T religion department, this
caused a lot of consternation around here for a while -- it may be
still going on for all I know.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

geoffs@brl-tgr.ARPA (Geoffrey Sauerborn ) (12/07/84)

In article <4717@utzoo.UUCP> laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:
.
.
.
>hellfire and damnation, but then, if you believe him, more or less
>everybody is headed for that anyway.
>
>Incidentally, the other Baptists I know here think that he is way out in
>left field -- whereas the other informed Catholics I know are pretty divided
>over this issue.....
.
.
.

>Laura Creighton
>utzoo!laura

 Ahh, so that is how we come to know truth, take a poll and vote on it!

                                            Geoff Sauerborn