[net.religion] Poly- and Mono- Theism: both incompatible with eclecticism

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (12/10/84)

> In article <20980015@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) writes:

> > Monotheistic religions tend to be more superstitious than po-
> > lytheistic, in that they tend to consider their absurd models as
> > literal fact, whereas polytheistic religions often have a far
> > more symbolic approach to their absurd models.  It is perfectly
> > easy to reconcile the two in a variety of ways: (1) Monotheism is
> > a variant of polytheism in which the ruler god (Zeus, etc.) has
> > come to dominate the religion and drive out other symbols.  (2)
> > Polytheism is a variant of monotheism in which the various as-
> > pects of divinity are given independent existence.  (3) "God" is
> > a symbol of the underlying unity and motive force of the
> > universe, whereas polytheistic deities are symbols for other
> > parts of experience.  Others may be devised at will, including
> > the Baha'i: but to insist that a religion must serve a monotheis-
> > tic, polytheistic, or atheistic underlying model (as the Baha'is
> > do) is not real eclecticism.

> Are you arguing that the solution is that they are all wrong?

Yes, of course they are all wrong.  Every existing religious system is
wrong, without exception, including the eclectic ones, and atheism and
agnosticism.  An eclectic system differs in that it attempts to overcome the
individual limitations of each by balancing it with others, and by sorting
out tribal prejudice from inspiration.  Thus it aspires to more truth than
the limited and fundamentalist approaches can deliver.

> If you are going to claim that monotheistic systems are more superstitious
> than polytheisms, I suggest you read the Elder Edda.  I'm hard pressed to
> think of a surviving polytheistic system; certainly Hinduism isn't, since
> it has harmonized out its gods into the Godhead.  Monotheism seems to be
> the wave of the present and the future.  Even atheism is sort of a degenerate
> monotheism.  The notion that the universe is controlled by a number of
> totally independent all-powerful beings somehow doesn't appeal to people any
> more.
>
> Charley Wingate    umcp-cs!mangoe

Sigh.  Please make an effort to read what I say, not what you want me to
say.  Have I ever advocated the belief that any being or collection of
beings controls the universe?  Do you believe that the classical polytheists
thought that?  I consider all such speculation absurd (although every so
often literal theistic models come up with some notion of philosophical
interest) unless it can be shown, rather than merely suggested as a pretty
nifty idea or decided as an axiom.

By the way, Charles, I suggest you dip again at the wells of anthropology
and current events if you can't think of any existing non-monotheistic
societies.  I also suggest that you study Hinduism more (like, at least the
major Upanishads) before you call it monotheistic.  It most definitely is
not, even if there does exist within it a symbol which includes all other
symbols.  Of course, maybe you've just read Christian stuff on Hinduism,
which often exagerrates the centrality of "Atman" in practice and scripture.
It took the West a long time to realize that "Budd" was not just another
name for God in nearby regions as well, just as the ancient Romans
considered all other religions to be just inferior variants of their own.
Speaking of Buddhism, there's yet another example of a surviving and
thriving non-monotheistic religion.  Nor is atheism any sort of "degenerate
monotheism" -- it is just as negative towards polytheistic religions.

But the point is that you've set me up as asking "Should eclecticism be
monotheistic or polytheistic?" and saying "polytheistic", where my answer
would be "no".  Once again, please READ what I say: "to insist that a
religion must serve a monotheistic, polytheistic, or atheistic underlying
model (as the Baha'is do) is not real eclecticism."  I hope I will not have
to repeat myself again in this discussion, since I will probably choose to
terminate it instead if so.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (12/12/84)

>Buddhism, I might point out, is at base atheistic; the "Gods" are
>representations of priniciples, and are not considered real.

My reading of Buddhism is that it takes an agnostic position towards
the existence of God(s).  This was one of the questions that the
Buddha refused to answer on the grounds that it did "not lead to
enlightenment".

--
"When evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve"
	Bill Jefferys  8-%