[net.religion] Where do morals come from

I have a question for the non-theists out there: where does the
authority for your moral system come from?

I'm particularly interested in whether you feel your system allows any
judgement of the behavior of others.

Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (12/09/84)

In article <1700@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
> I have a question for the non-theists out there: where does the
> authority for your moral system come from?
>
> I'm particularly interested in whether you feel your system allows any
> judgement of the behavior of others.
>
> Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

Glad you asked-- I didn't have much idea until I thought about it.

Authority for a moral system comes from the same place authority for any
other secular position, or status comes from: power.  Not just the power to
inflict, but the passive power of agreement.  Think of it as being the same
sort of question as "where does the authority of the president come from?"

I feel that judgement is unreliable, but an inescapable heuristic.  Without
judgement, a system of any sort is outcompeted or must survive commensally
with a system that does have judgement.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (12/10/84)

In article <umcp-cs.1700> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>I have a question for the non-theists out there: where does the
>authority for your moral system come from?
>
>I'm particularly interested in whether you feel your system allows any
>judgement of the behavior of others.

Even as a theist (I guess) I'd have to say that my moral system comes from
my culture.  The authority (in this culture) is largely English Common Law,
extracted to some extent from a series of tracts commonly known as The
Bible.  Other cultures (a good example right now is Iran) draw on different
cultural authorities, and thus have different moral systems.

Moral systems provide a set of normative standards which circumscribe
acceptable modes of behavior.  Individuals within a society may also define
their own moral codes, usually based on some subset of the recognized set
of moral codes, and hold other members up to those standards.  It really
is a matter of taste.

--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (12/10/84)

In article <1700@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>I have a question for the non-theists out there: where does the
>authority for your moral system come from?
>
>I'm particularly interested in whether you feel your system allows any
>judgement of the behavior of others.

I wonder why the assumption that a moral system needs an "authority"?
When I was a child I needed an authority (my parents) since I did not
have an adaquate world view to deal with the everyday reality about me.

However, as an adult I now have concepts which seem to explain the why
and wherefor of most things around me and allows me to deal with them on
a rational basis.  I simply don't seem to need an authority.

I believe it is wrong to "judge" (doesn't the Bible have something to
say about that?)  Instead, I use the term "descernment".  That is, using
my abilities to understand that which is going on without comment, rather
than turning it into a "Good" vs "Bad" contest.

{ctvax,gatech,seismo,ihnp4}|ut-sally|oakhill|davet

I was afraid that my question was going to be misunderstood.  Let me
rephrase it and try to bring up some side issues I'd like to hear about.

(1)  What is it that makes you follow whatever moral system you follow?
     (In other words, why not some other system? or why follow any?)

(2)  Do you grant it and external authority?  For instance, does it permit
     judging someone like Adolf Hitler as morally corrupt?

(3)  (Parents only) By authority do you teach a moral system to your
     children?

No flames please.  By the way, the "moral authority assumption" arises
from the realization that if moral systems are entirely produced internally,
than why should there be a sense of guilt in not following it?

Charley Wingate    umcp-cs!mangoe

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.

padraig@utastro.UUCP (Padraig Houlahan) (12/10/84)

>I have a question for the non-theists out there: where does the
>authority for your moral system come from?
>
>I'm particularly interested in whether you feel your system allows any
>judgement of the behavior of others.
>
>Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

As a non-theist I will throw in my two cents worth. Personally I do not
need to be told not to harm or cause pain to others. The basis for this
attitude is remarkably simple; it makes society more stable, and
pleasent for most people to live in. The fact that most acts that are
called immoral also violate the above criterion suggests that this
is the real basis for morality, and not some divine being's arbitrary whim.
This approach towards morality of course does not recognize any
absolute standards of right or wrong, but it attains the goals
to which those based on theistic beliefs aspire. I have yet to come
across a situation where this criterion fails.

I feel quite comfortable criticizing behaviour that makes life unpleasent
for the majority.

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (12/11/84)

> In article <1700@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>>I have a question for the non-theists out there: where does the
>>authority for your moral system come from?
>>
>>I'm particularly interested in whether you feel your system allows any
>>judgement of the behavior of others.

> I wonder why the assumption that a moral system needs an "authority"?
> When I was a child I needed an authority (my parents) since I did not
> have an adaquate world view to deal with the everyday reality about me.
>
> However, as an adult I now have concepts which seem to explain the why
> and wherefor of most things around me and allows me to deal with them on
> a rational basis.  I simply don't seem to need an authority.
>
> I believe it is wrong to "judge" (doesn't the Bible have something to
> say about that?)  Instead, I use the term "descernment".  That is, using
> my abilities to understand that which is going on without comment, rather
> than turning it into a "Good" vs "Bad" contest.
> [Dave Trissel]

First, I do not think that is true to say that there is no
authority in this system of morals, because it assumes the
authority of rationality (which I'm not (surprise!) questioning
here, just pointing out).

Second, without getting into the topic of judgment, it can be
observed that there is, at least, a problem of definition, since a
statement was made about something being wrong (i.e., judging)
followed by a statement that there is no need to turn things into
a good or bad contest.  What is the relation, if any, between
something being "wrong" and something being "bad"?  It seems to
me that there is an attempt to introduce a semantic trick here.

I suppose it might be added that the question "why does a moral
system need an authority" was at least partially answered by
the one asking it:  so that children will accept their parents
guidance.  It was stated that as a child, the world view was
inadequate.  But many children, and probably all children at least
some of the time, feel their world view is adequate to the point
that they ought not have to do as their parents say.  Even (to
stem an anticipated objection) in the presence of rational
discussion of why they ought to do it.
--
Paul DuBois		{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

"I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:  I will sing
praise to my God while I have my being."
					Psalm 104:33

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (12/12/84)

I am not a parent, so I will only try to answer your first two questions.

	1. What is it that makes me follow the moral system I do?
	The conviction that it is in my best interest as
	a rational being to do so.

	2. Does my system permit judging someone like Adolf Hitler
	as morally corrupt?  Yes.  It is immoral to claim for
	one's self rights that one does not also accord to others.

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (12/13/84)

In article <1766@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>(1)  What is it that makes you follow whatever moral system you follow?
>     (In other words, why not some other system? or why follow any?)

 Because it seems the most rational way to proceed given my world view.
 I also recognize an inner prompting of some sort to follow it.  That may
 be only because it "clicks" with my world view, or it may be due to some
 less known type of mechanism.  (I favor the "inner knowing" hypothesis.)

>(2)  Do you grant it and external authority?  For instance, does it permit
>     judging someone like Adolf Hitler as morally corrupt?

  In my view, Hitler was "attracted" to the world by the events of the times.
  In blaming him, you fail to take account of the mechanisms which caused
  him to be there.  In effect, only pointing at symtoms. Yes, he was
  morally corrupt, but I find him blameless.  (This should prove to be
  a controversial statement to make!!)

> "(paraphrased) If moral systems are produced internally then why should
>  there be a sense of guilt in not following it?

  That depends on what "guilt" really is.  Guilt could be derived from not
  following a path consistent with your belief system.  We are so complex
  that it may easily be possible for someone to feel guilty without having
  the conscious knowledge of why (since the mechanisms violated would
  be "known" only at a deeper level in the psyche.) This could be
  especially true if during early childhood forgotten "wrong"s and "rights"
  were implanted.

>Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est. (* would you kindly translate this?*)

Thanks for your kind attention.

Dave Trissel    {ctvax,seismo,gatech,ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

lip@masscomp.UUCP (John Lipinski) (12/13/84)

>I have a question for the non-theists out there: where does the
>authority for your moral system come from?
>
>I'm particularly interested in whether you feel your system allows any
>judgement of the behavior of others.
>
>Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

To Wingate:

Non-theists derive their authority from their own personal
power/influence/will.  Power creates its own values.  No justification
is necessary, either by a possible god or any other influence.

On the other hand, theists generally rely on the power of the
collective acceptance of their respective society or culture for their
authority.

A not-theistic system "allowing judgement of the behavior of others" is
certainly possible.  How can any one *not* judge or evaluate his or her
experiences?

			- John Lipinski

In article <175@masscomp.UUCP> lip@masscomp.UUCP (John Lipinski) writes:
>On the other hand, theists generally rely on the power of the
>collective acceptance of their respective society or culture for their
>authority.

The history of Christianity has shown that while this may be common, it is
by no means universal.  A lot of people who are of great historical
importance dissented with the accepted moral code, and the experiences of
Roman Catholics who view the church's position on birth control as wrong
implies that the source of authority lies elsewhere.  I would suggest that
it lies in the conscience, as instructed by scripture, the church, or
whatever.

Charley Wingate    umcp-cs!mangoe