[net.religion] Christmas cards et al

yiri@ucf-cs.UUCP (12/16/84)

From myunive@nsc.UUCP (Jay Zelitzky) Sun Feb  6 01:28:16 206
Newsgroups: net.singles,net.religion.jewish
Subject: Re: Christmas {report} card

Chuqui has inadvertantly brought up
a problem to those of us who are not Christian,  particularly those
of us who are Jewish. Christmas and Jews.
>Being brought up in the Judeo-Christian ethic, Christmas has always been a
>very important time in my life.   <Chuq>
	Christmas is not Jewish, has no roots in Judaism and is
not related to any Jewish holiday.  Every year I am somewhat disturbed by
otherwise caring and thinking people assuming that Jews celebrate Christmas.
If you are Christian, do not assume that your Jewish friends celebrate
Christmas!  Do not wish us a Merry Christmas!  You can wish Jews a Happy
Chanuka since that runs from Dec 18(evening) to Dec 26(day).  Be aware
that Chanuka is not an important holiday however.  It is only a very minor
holiday and is often not celebrated in Israel.
	This does not mean that I or most Jews mind being invited to
Christmas parties.  I am willing to join Christian friends in celebrating
their holidays just as I often invite Christian friends to celebrate mine.
	So don't buy Jewish friends Christmas presents or send us
Christmas cards.  Remember people are all different and this time of
year means something very different to Jews and Christians.

			Jay Zelitzky

**********************
Yiri adds:
I concur with Jay on almost everything he has said. However, I must
disagree regarding most Jews being willing to join in celebrating
Christian holidays. I don't mind being invited. In fact, I suppose I am
rather complimented that they would invite me. Yet, there is no way I
would join in a pagan celebration. I think most observant Jews would
concur in this. We would not likely CHOOSE to be celebrating around a
Christmas tree. There is the problem of non-kosher food, singing of
carols, etc. So if a Jew declines to join you, please be understanding
of him/her and respect their beliefs and strength of conviction.