[net.religion] What would it take for you *not* to believe?

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (12/16/84)

I had a thought as I was reading a weeks worth of net.religion.
One oft'repeated theme is ``I won't believe in your god/religion/system
of philosophy/system of ethics until god/society/the mystic feelings
I feel does X''. Maybe the opposite question deserves to be mentioned.

What would it take before you consider that your religion is
incorrect, flawed, or in some other way better *not* to believe?
Given this audience, there are obviously lots of people who have
come to this very conclusion.

What about those who haven't? What about those who have but are
convinced that *now* they have a handle on truth, whereas before they
were mistaken (or worse)?

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (12/18/84)

In article <4790@utzoo.UUCP> Laura Creighton writes:

>What would it take before you consider that your religion is
>incorrect, flawed, or in some other way better *not* to believe?
>Given this audience, there are obviously lots of people who have
>come to this very conclusion.

I was raised a dedicated Christian in a fundamentalist church.  At times
there were certain inner feelings generated in some of the church services
which were of a rather mystical quality.  Later during college I began to
really question what was going on, the general "Is there really a God?"
type questions.  These questions hit me very hard since my religion was
much like a protective barrier between me and the world.  However, I have a
VERY strong drive to understand reality and search for truth. And deep down
inside I knew that a lot of the things going on just didn't seem right.
One example was all the petty little backbiting and squabbles that would
go on constantly.  If God was so great and powerful why is it that he could
not correct the situtation.  In fact, why didn't he even care enough to let
the people know how improper they were acting?  Why didn't he show them
there was a much more loving way to live?

Another problem I had was the fact that some of my belief system just didn't
hold water when I contemplated what the various implications of it were.
One example is a contradiction I just could not tolerate and still be honest
with myself.  Supposedly God was all mercifull e.t.c. yet people were going to
burn in hell for ever and ever if they didn't repent e.t.c.  (I have read with
interest the debates here in net.religion on this and the only response
from the christians is "thats just the way it is" and "who are we to tell
an infinite God how to run his ship?" Its not strange that these are the
VERY SAME arguments I used to make when I was in the church.  The fact is
that these are about the only ones you have recourse to.)

Paul in the N.T. talks quite a bit about what love is.  He said love
does not take offense.  Love doesn't demand.  Love doesn't say "Well if you
act this way *THEN* I'll love you back and be good to you."  Love is
UNCONDITIONAL or it is not the highest form of love at all.  If I was to go
out and murder someone, my mother would be horrified YET SHE WOULD STILL LOVE
ME AND NEVER TURN ME AWAY!  And yet, the standard christian belief has God
only accepting people that only accept him and do such and such.  The problem,
of course, is that MY MOTHER HAS MORE LOVE THAN THAT KIND OF GOD!  I refuse
to follow any religion which claims that an all powerful infinitely merciful
diety is less capable than my mother.  (As an aside, I hit my father up with
this last christmas and he said "but God said that anyone that doesn't turn
to him must pay the price and He cannot go back on his word.  God repented
that he ever made man."  To this all I can say is why would an omnipotent God
do something that He knew he would not like the result of and why would God
setup such a lousy system to begin with.

All it takes is to look at how finely tuned the Universe is.  Examine a tree
or an insect and marvel at the almost infinite complexity and harmony.  Then
tell me that an infinite God can do no better than to cause everlasting
punishment.  The very universe indicates that whatever its cause it is
certainly not supid.

On the other hand science has its definite limits, although I think that
eventually the secrets  to conciousness itself will be uncovered by
those working in quantum mechanics. I remember in High School trigonometry
thinking that if only a computer had all the information on every atom
in the universe than all things could be predicted. Now in my middle age I
laugh to think that I had such naive beliefs.  Science, however, tended to
make one think that it had an absolute hold on truth.  Yet science is
incapable of even describing why we laugh.  (Well ya see theres these bursts
of forced air through the bronchial tubes and the facial muscles follow
an upward curvature ...)

Now I realize that much of what my religion said (or was trying to say) is
true.  Most all great religous teachers have had thier teachings perverted
into a "follow this law or you won't get your reward".  I guess its just
human nature. I have to my own satisfaction an understanding of those earlier
mystical feelings, and concepts which give me an understanding concerning
almost anything I wish to philosophize about. I wish I could talk about these
things but the answers  (for me anyway) are so internal that I don't think
I could ever put them into words.

It took 15 years of searching and reading, studying other religions, other
philosophys, but the big breakthrough was studying parapsychology with one
of the few good (read non-bogus) scientist in that field today.

The bottom line is that I could not be a Christian in the classical sense
and keep my intellectual integrety and honesty.

Dave Trissel      {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet