[net.religion] Essay

wsmith@uiucdcsb.UUCP (12/16/84)

			The Seven Spirits of God

The book of Revelation in the New Testament is a difficult book to
understand.  It is written with many symbols and in a form of code
that was apparently meaningful to the early Christians of the late
first century.  The first five chapters of Revelation are not the
same as the rest of the book.  They are not in code and are instructive
as to the power and majesty of God.  Four verses refer to seven spirits of
God.  Verse 1:4 (All from the NIV), "Grace and peace to you from him who is,
and and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits before his
throne." Vers 3:1, "these are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of
God and the seven stars."  Verse 4:5, "Before the throne, seven lamps were
blazing.  These are the seven spirits of God."  Verse 5:6, "He had seven horns
and seven eyes which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the
earth."

In the NIV each case has a footnote for the phrase "seven spirits" saying
it could be translated as "sevenfold Spirit."  That reading can be taken
as and indication that the idea of a Holy Trinity is not the whole picture.
I interpret the phrase "sevenfold Spirit of God" to be an indication that
God is seven-in-one instead of three-in-one.

I don't believe the statement that God is seven-in-one contradicts the
scriptures.  Of course, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit must be among the
seven though.  For the idea of a heptinity to be supported, there should be
a reasonable list of seven that is complete at seven.  After thinking and
praying about the question, this answer came to me.  The seven spirits are
the Father, the Mother, the Son, the Daughter, the Brother, the Sister, and
the Holy Spirit.  The relationships in a nuclear family form a complete
list of seven when the Holy Spirit is included.  The Holy Spirit is to the
heptinity as God is to a human family.  My friends with whom I have discussed
this idea with find it appealing, but they are not qualified to evaluate it
theologically (neither am I).  I have been able to reflect on the idea and
find a number of facts that it explains or clarifies.

One of the first things I did when I though of the idea of a heptinity was to
find a graphic symbol for it.  The symbol I found was the star of David in
blue with a yellow or orange flame in the center of it.  Each point represents
one of the persona--Father, Mother, Son, Daughter, Brother, and Sister.  The
flame in the middle is a symbol for the Holy Spirit.

This symbol stands for God in his complete glory and entirety.  Along with
the symbol go the words, "Not Yahweh."  These words emphasize that it is
a symbol for God and not God in actuality.  The Old Testament is full of
warnings about idolatry and such warnings should be heeded.

The heptinity is a complete and perfect family.  It and the symbol for
God have a lot to say about human families.  The goal of each family should
be to be a reflection of God's family.  The different roles that exist in
God are part of our everyday experience.

Each person in a human family should try to reflect his/her equivalent role
in God.  To be complete, we need to also experience all of the other roles as
well.  The mother should be able to see the sons perspective.  The brother
should understand the daughter's and sister's role.

The symbol for God has meaning in this context: The Holy Spirit is in the
center of the symbol.  God should be at the center of a human family.

From the Gospels we know that Christ, the Son of the Father, is humanities
only hope for salvation.  As a result, it is our duty to be able to live
the role of a son.  In filling that role, we see the way to salvation.  We
should also experience the other five roles, although I do not know the
special significance of each one.

Since God is a family, it is not surprising that the family is
such an important institution for human and many lower animals.  Man
was made in God's own image.  Living in a family is one sure way to be
close to God's image.  The family is also reflected in thousands
of animal species.  It is in different forms in different animals, but
for many of them it is still a family.

The New Testament makes some very strong comments about divorce.  Remarriage
after a divorce is committing adultery except for infidelity.  Remembering
God's hatred of idolatry, we can get some insight into the subject.  By
getting a divorce and remarrying, you change from one family to another,
or you change from one God to another.  Once this analogy has been made
it is clear why divorce is so repugnant.  I think there is a relationship
between this teaching and the fact that idolatry and adultery as words
sound so similar.

Recently, I visited a Roman Catholic sanctuary.  It was after I had developed
the idea of the heptinity.  The six candles and crucifix at the alter
immediately struck me.  The seven objects are symbols for the seven spirits
of God.  I asked and was told that they were just traditional and with out an
interpretation.  In a Methodist sanctuary there are two candles and a cross--
a symbol for the Trinity and another example of flames standing for spirits.
I speculate that the Roman Catholic traditions about Mary, mother of Jesus can
be supported by the idea of seven spirits.  Perhaps Mary was the Holy Mother
incarnate.

This idea about God, if they are supportable, have a number of important
implications.  The first implication is that probably explains some of the
traditions of the churches.  It also indicates that there is more to
God than we know of and that perhaps there is more for God to reveal to
mankind than we have already learned.

One of the more exciting possible implications is that the idea of a heptinity
may help to reconcile the major faiths of the world.  Perhaps each of their
traditions may be interpreted to have a different view of God that can be
synthesized into a more complete view of God and man's relationship to Him
and each other.

Bill Smith
(ihnp4|pur-ee)!uiucdcs!wsmith  (formerly siemens!wws)

"The Deity desires the betterment of your physical form and spiritual being"

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (12/18/84)

In article <11900026@uiucdcsb.UUCP> wsmith@uiucdcsb.UUCP writes:

> 			The Seven Spirits of God

I read this stuff and roared with laughter.  It's like something right out
of "The Life of Brian".

> I don't believe the statement that God is seven-in-one contradicts the
> scriptures.  Of course, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit must be among the
> seven though.  For the idea of a heptinity to be supported, there should be
> a reasonable list of seven that is complete at seven.  After thinking and
> praying about the question, this answer came to me.  The seven spirits are
> the Father, the Mother, the Son, the Daughter, the Brother, the Sister, and
> the Holy Spirit.  The relationships in a nuclear family form a complete
> list of seven when the Holy Spirit is included.  The Holy Spirit is to the
> heptinity as God is to a human family....

Ooo, can I play too?  Your idea has merit, except for the abstraction of the
holy spirit.  A much more meaningful idea is to call the holy spirit
"the bastard".  No family is complete without one.  And it makes sense too,
in that the erstwhile holy spirit cuckolded Joseph, resulting in the birth of
the late JC.

> One of the first things I did when I though of the idea of a heptinity was to
> find a graphic symbol for it.  The symbol I found was the star of David in
> blue with a yellow or orange flame in the center of it.  Each point represents
> one of the persona--Father, Mother, Son, Daughter, Brother, and Sister.  The
> flame in the middle is a symbol for the Holy Spirit.
>
> This symbol stands for God in his complete glory and entirety.  Along with
> the symbol go the words, "Not Yahweh."  These words emphasize that it is
> a symbol for God and not God in actuality.  The Old Testament is full of
> warnings about idolatry and such warnings should be heeded.

I have a better idea-- the seven pointed star.  It's a progression, you see,
from the pagan magic five-pointed star, to the Jewish six-pointed star, to our
new seven-pointed symbol.  The interconnections between the vertices can
stand for the modes of incest (some sodomous.)  Along with the symbol go the
words "Kosher for Easter", to provide a source of income for the priests of
our new heresy.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh