[net.religion] scholarly article

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (12/17/84)

I just came across this article in the Journal of the Association of
Registered Nurses, Doctors, and Technicians that I thought might be
interesting reading.  It is written by Dr. Carl Frisken of the Whitlow
University Medical School, Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry.  I
excerpt from this article here.

"Often the use of excerpts from scholarly articles ... represents a
manifestation of extreme ... negative self-worth.  Authors of such ...
[writings] ... tend not to have original thought patterns of their ... own.
They ... often fail to ... recognize or comprehend ... the meaning of the
... papers they cite in ... scholarly writing.  More ... over, they
also ... fail to ... question anything ... put forth by the authors [of
the papers they cite].  They simply ... take at face ... value the
worth of the ... author's contentions without ... any form of independent ...
verification or analysis. ... , ... expecting others [who read ... their
work] to do the ... same."
	from THE ABSENCE OF ORIGINAL THOUGHT:  AN ANALYSIS OF THE CONTENT
		OF THE ESSAYS OF COLLEGE STUDENTS IN THE ARTS AND SCIENCES
		by Dr. Carl J. Frisken, Whitlow University Medical School,
		Dept. of Psychiatry (Chmn), as published in the Journal of the
		Association of Registered Nurses, Doctors, and Technicians,
		Vol. XVI, Number 5, September/October 1984, pp. 105-108.
		(reprinted without permission)

I hope this is enlightening and useful information.

Keep chargin', and someday the bill will arrive...
--
BRIAN: "No, you've got it all wrong!  You don't have to follow me!  You don't
        have to follow ANYONE!  You've got to think for yourselves! You are

In article <336@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:

>I just came across this article in the Journal of the Association of
>Registered Nurses, Doctors, and Technicians that I thought might be
>interesting reading.  It is written by Dr. Carl Frisken of the Whitlow
>University Medical School, Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry.  I
>excerpt from this article here.
>
>"Often the use of excerpts from scholarly articles ... represents a
>manifestation of extreme ... negative self-worth.  Authors of such ...
>[writings] ... tend not to have original thought patterns of their ... own.
>They ... often fail to ... recognize or comprehend ... the meaning of the
>... papers they cite in ... scholarly writing.  More ... over, they
>also ... fail to ... question anything ... put forth by the authors [of
>the papers they cite].  They simply ... take at face ... value the
>worth of the ... author's contentions without ... any form of independent...
>verification or analysis. ... , ... expecting others [who read ... their
>work] to do the ... same."

Is this supposed to tell me why you quote so much of my articles, Rich?

                     :-)
                     :-)

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe