[net.religion] observation and value; science and ethics

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul Torek) (12/30/84)

From:  Ken Arndt

From: Gordon A. Moffett	...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam
> This makes sense to me, but why does "the search for truth [presuppose]
> ethics"?

It figures Moffett would pick on the one thing that Popper got right.  The
search for truth presupposes that knowledge is valuable; that scientific
inquiry is worth doing.  It also presupposes that there is something which
we ought to believe -- and believing is an action.  And science can make
pronouncements about ethics, contra Popper; the health sciences can and
should deal with human benefit and harm (what constitues a benefit or harm
is a value judgement), and behavioral sciences can (at least in principle)
indicate what actions one would perform if one were rational, informed, and
free (i.e., what actions are right!).

From:  Rich Rosen
> The use of absolute right/wrong was used in the context of absolute
> good/evil, in a moral sense and not an observational sense.  And I'm
> sure Paul [Dubois, I think it was--pvt] knew that when he wrote what he
> did.  (Since many of recent articles addressed this point.)

Can this dichotomy between the moral and the observational hold any water?
Can there be -- as I think Rosen wants to suggest -- an "absolute right/
wrong" in science without implying a similar cognitivity for ethics?

				--The aspiring iconoclast,
				Paul V Torek, umcp-cs!flink
	(until 1/11, then back to	ihnp4!wucs!wucec1!pvt1047	)