[net.religion] As the facts twist ...

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (01/03/85)

[]
From: gam@amdahl.UUCP (Gordon A. Moffett)
> Your examples are consistent with the Behaviorist model.  In
> each instance, the things called "morally wrong" are seen as
> threats to the longevity of the culture (though they are a part
> of it).

False.  They are not, in general, so seen.  Abolitionists did
not necessarily see (that is, not all of them saw) slavery as a
threat to their culture; to claim that they did is to twist the
facts to try to fit your theory.  Sorry, it won't work.  (I admit
that your response to the example of Marxism was correct -- that
was a poor choice of example on my part.)

> These "cultual dissonances" are reactions not to destroy the
> culture but to preserve it, possibly in an altered form.

No, they are reactions having nothing to do with the preservation
of the culture: rather, they are attempts to change it.

So much for that theory.  Next!
				--the persistent iconoclast,
				Paul V Torek, umcp-cs!flink
	(until 1/11, then 	ihnp4!wucs!wucec1!pvt1047	)