[net.religion] What to do about all these "quotes" of articles

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (12/20/84)

Please consider this idea: when you quote another article, put the
quote at the END (after your signature) not at the beginning.
Then people can decide whether to read the article (and also whether
to read the quote!) by looking at your response, instead of stepping
through the quote.  Obviously long quotes will be a lot less
painful at the ends of articles, but I urge you to carefully prune
what you quote nonetheless.

Unless this proposed style becomes the norm, I suggest stating
"Quote at end" in the first (bugeater) line of the article, so
people who really need the quote to understand your article will know
it's coming.

  - Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
  {allegra, decvax!ittvax, fisher, princeton}!eosp1!robison

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (12/22/84)

Putting the quotes at the end is a GREAT idea! My complements to Mr. Robison
on such an elegantly simple solution! Now, if the software types would just
wipe out the "REPLACE LINE" line so it won't show up, or at least move
it to preceed the quote to facilitate this, all will be well...

Will

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (12/23/84)

If all you're doing is including the text of the article, verbatim,
you have no business even including it, at the beginning, end, or
anywhere else.  Sure, there's a chance the original article hasn't
reached the reader yet, but it's pretty remote, and not worth all
the extra transmission and reading.

The include-text feature is intended for two uses:  (1) to remind the
reader of the essence of the original article, in case it's been a
few days since they read it, and (2) to allow a point-by-point response
to the questions or statements made in the original.  Both of these
uses are even more valid for mail, but can be useful for news as well.

If you're going to include text, you have an obligation to edit it down
to the bare gist.  Often the point you are responding to is made in one
or two lines of the original message.  If the original message is very
short (say 4-5 lines) it's fair to include the whole thing.  It is NEVER
appropriate to include things like signatures or other text that has nothing
to do with what you are adding to the conversation.  Most text-including
followup commands automatically generate a line that says who posted the
original message, which is plenty to tell who said what.

Perhaps we should modify the followup commands to refuse to post a followup
that contains mostly > lines, for some suitable definition of "mostly"?
Maybe they could also generate the following line at the top of the message:
	Be sure to edit away irrelevent text, like this line.
This way, if this line is still there, people know some lummox posted it
and will feel free to ignore the message.

	Mark Horton

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (12/26/84)

In article <602@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>Sure, there's a chance the original article hasn't
>reached the reader yet, but it's pretty remote, and not worth all
>the extra transmission and reading.

It is worthwhile, however, if the original was posted in a different
newsgroup, and your reply is going to net.flame, so people can figure
out what the h_ll you're talking about...

>	Be sure to edit away irrelevent text, like this line.

Oh yeah?

			\tom haapanen
			watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
			university of waterloo

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (12/27/84)

As part of the process of installing 2.10.2 news at Waterloo, I modified
"postnews" so that when a followup was being posted, it would ask the
user if he/she wished to include the original article in the body of the
new message.  If the user says "no", then it doesn't get included, and
they don't have to go to the trouble of editing it out (and for about half
of the followups I post, I don't use any of the text of the original).
If the user says "yes", they have just been reminded that there is an
old article body sitting waiting for them to edit down - particularly
useful if they are not using a screen editor and thus won't automatically
see the text.

Perhaps this is a reasonable method of cutting down on garbage in
followups will still providing the ability to include the referenced
article wherever appropriate?

Now if only rn/Pnews could be convinced to do the same.  It goes to the
trouble to ask me if I really want to use the editor that I told it
to use via an environment variable, presumably in case I feel like using
a different editor right at this moment, but doesn't give me a choice
of whether the original article is included!  Arghh.

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (12/28/84)

In article <858@watcgl.UUCP> dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) writes:
> Now if only rn/Pnews could be convinced to do the same.  It goes to the
> trouble to ask me if I really want to use the editor that I told it
> to use via an environment variable, presumably in case I feel like using
> a different editor right at this moment, but doesn't give me a choice
> of whether the original article is included!  Arghh.

With all due respect, may I suggest that this is an inaccurate observation?
I understand that the rn manual entry is a wee bit overwhelming, but the help
facility has the following line:

f,F	Submit a followup article (F = include this article).

With regard to the editor question (or should that have been the editor
question question...), there are some of us who work multiple systems, and
have to use several different editors.  Which editor I want to use at the
moment depends on which one I've been using most recently.  Besides, just on
this system, my favorite editor has schizophrenic tendencies, with
corresponding name changes.  But to each his own.

If you don't like the feature, copy Pnews to your private bin directory and
comment out the question.  That's why it's a shell script.  Be sure that
NEWSPOSTER points to your own Pnews.  If you feel that nobody on your system
wants the feature, feel free to comment it out in the public copy.  In
defense of putting in the feature in the first place I can only say that it
is usually much easier to chop out a feature than to add it back in.

By the way, this is slightly mis-documented, but if you add %A to the end
of your NEWSPOSTER command, Pnews will pass the file name of the current
article as the second filename to your editor, so that you can have it in
an alternate window, or as an alternate file.  Likewise the MAILPOSTER
command.

Enough--if I say more I shall be rambling.  In fact, I probably shouldn't
have said the previous sentence.  In fact, I probably shouldn't have said
the previous sentence.  In fact, I probably shouldn't have said the previous
sentence.  In fact, I probably shouldn't have said the previous sentence.
In fact!@%$%

Stack overflow in DWIM.
rebooting...

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/29/84)

In article <858@watcgl.UUCP> dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) writes:

>Now if only rn/Pnews could be convinced to do the same.  It goes to the
>trouble to ask me if I really want to use the editor that I told it
>to use via an environment variable, presumably in case I feel like using
>a different editor right at this moment, but doesn't give me a choice
>of whether the original article is included!  Arghh.

  It would be very easy to have Pnews not to ask you for the editor, just
comment out a couple of lines. As far as posting followups, rn has two
commands: "F" will include the original message and "f" will not.

--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (12/30/84)

<1281@utah-gr.UUCP> cancelled from rn.
--
=Spencer
	({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

arndt@ttds.UUCP (Arndt Jonasson) (01/05/85)

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) writes:
  >Now if only rn/Pnews could be convinced to do the same.  It goes to the
  >trouble to ask me if I really want to use the editor that I told it
  >to use via an environment variable, presumably in case I feel like using
  >a different editor right at this moment, but doesn't give me a choice
  >of whether the original article is included!  Arghh.

There are two followup commands in rn; f and F. f enters an editor of your
choice with the article in the buffer, F does the same, but with the
original article included as well. There is an rn option variable to
determine how to mark the quoted text (e.g ">   ").

As for the question about what editor to use, it may seem silly, but the day
you want to answer something other than return on that question, you'll
probably appreciate it.
As a principle, question asking in programs should be kept at a minimum,
though.

	{ decvax, philabs } mcvax ! enea ! ttds ! arndt