[net.religion] Torek's wager != Pascal's

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul Torek) (01/09/85)

From: barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry)
> > [me]...If you believe you have free will and you're wrong, it was out of
> > your power to be correct anyway so you haven't lost anything.  But if
> > you're right, you have gained something by exercising your power
> > correctly.  Therefore, anything that implies lack of free will can be
> > dismissed right there.
> 	Essentially, this is a reworking of Pascal's argument for belief
> in God. If you believe in Him, and are wrong, you lose nothing, since
> there is no Heaven or Hell; if you *disbelieve* and are wrong, however,
> you do hard time in the flamey place.

No, there's a crucial difference:  Pascal's argument doesn't cover all the
bases.  If there's a Ubizmo that wants the exact opposite of what the
Christian G-d is s'posed to want, who will send you to the flamey place
for obeying the big 10 -- then making Pascal's wager can cost you big.  A
priori, Pascal's argument gives one no more reason to believe in one G-d
than in its opposite.

> 	Unfortunately, it shares the same flaw as Pascal's reasoning,
> namely, that we do not believe or disbelieve in things based on the belief's
> utility. I base my beliefs on reason, and believe in them because they
> seem correct, not convenient.                   Kenn Barry

Your dichotomy is a false one.  You can't divorce practical reason from
epistemology (theory of knowledge).  Reason dictates believing what one has
reasons to believe, and that includes can't-lose propositions like belief
in free will.  It may be true that you don't or even can't bring your
beliefs to follow such reasoning, but that's *your* problem.

				--Paul V. Torek,
	[send replies to new address:]	ihnp4!wucs!wucec1!pvt1047

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (01/17/85)

[]
	From umcp-cs!flink (Paul V. Torek):
>> From: barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry)
>> > ...If you believe you have free will and you're wrong, it was out of
>> > your power to be correct anyway so you haven't lost anything.  But if
>> > you're right, you have gained something by exercising your power
>> > correctly.  Therefore, anything that implies lack of free will can be
>> > dismissed right there.
>> 	Essentially, this is a reworking of Pascal's argument for belief
>> in God. If you believe in Him, and are wrong, you lose nothing, since
>> there is no Heaven or Hell; if you *disbelieve* and are wrong, however,
>> you do hard time in the flamey place.
>
>No, there's a crucial difference:  Pascal's argument doesn't cover all the
>bases.  If there's a Ubizmo that wants the exact opposite of what the
>Christian G-d is s'posed to want, who will send you to the flamey place
>for obeying the big 10 -- then making Pascal's wager can cost you big.  A
>priori, Pascal's argument gives one no more reason to believe in one G-d
>than in its opposite.

	You are correct in pointing out *another* flaw in Pascal's reasoning,
and in maintaining that your argument doesn't share this flaw. My comparison
of your reasoning with Pascal's, however, is based on a flaw they *do*
share; see below.

>> 	Unfortunately, it shares the same flaw as Pascal's reasoning,
>> namely, that we do not believe or disbelieve in things based on the belief's
>> utility. I base my beliefs on reason, and believe in them because they
>> seem correct, not convenient.                   Kenn Barry
>
>Your dichotomy is a false one.  You can't divorce practical reason from
>epistemology (theory of knowledge).  Reason dictates believing what one has
>reasons to believe, and that includes can't-lose propositions like belief
>in free will.  It may be true that you don't or even can't bring your
>beliefs to follow such reasoning, but that's *your* problem.

	Well, perhaps you can help me with my problem; here it is: if
I "believe" something, that means I think it's *true* (rightly or wrongly).
Now, as far as I can see, the desirability, or lack of it, possessed
by the notion of "free will", has no bearing on the likelihood of its
being *true*. So what I get from your argument, is either that "believing"
something DOESN'T mean thinking it's true, or that the desirability of
a proposition (like free will) constitutes evidence for its being true.
	Are we arguing about either of the above propositions? If so,
which one? And, if not, what did I miss?
	All I can make of your reasoning so far, is that I'm better off
believing in free will, whether or not it's true. Fine; I follow your
logic, and basically agree. But so what? It doesn't make free will any
more likely to be *true*.

-  I'd rather be right than happy  -            Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	USENET:		 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry
	SOURCE:	         ST7891