[net.religion] homosexuality and the Bible

larryg@teklds.UUCP (Larry Gardner) (01/08/85)

I do not understand the purpose of the article by "whatshisname" on proving
that I Cor. and a couple other passages were not against homosexuality.

Look if you want to be gay, fine.  But don't try to put God's stamp
of approval on it.  There are many other verses in the Bible clearly
denouncing homosexuality.

karen alias larryg

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (01/10/85)

> Look if you want to be gay, fine.  But don't try to put God's stamp
> of approval on it.  There are many other verses in the Bible clearly
> denouncing homosexuality.
> karen alias larryg

There are a very few references that are used by some Christians in an
attempt to brand gay people as some sort of supersinners.  This has gone
so far as to lead some very radical rightwing Christians to deny human
rights to gay people, and even led some to say that gay people deserve
death or worse.  Actually, the artical seems to have been written to show
that at least some of these references probabally do not mean anything
of the sort.  If you know of many other verses, send them out to the net,
so that others will have the oppurtunity to debunk them also.

As a Christian, you are limited to using the New Testement (unless you
are one of those rare Christians who follows the whole of the Law).
Otherwise, come on down to your local MCC and then tell us that gays
cannot be Christians.

Sincerely,
Richard A. Brower

jah@philabs.UUCP (Julie Harazduk) (01/11/85)

> I do not understand the purpose of the article by "whatshisname" on proving
> that I Cor. and a couple other passages were not against homosexuality.
>
> Look if you want to be gay, fine.  But don't try to put God's stamp
> of approval on it.  There are many other verses in the Bible clearly
> denouncing homosexuality.
>
> karen alias larryg

agreed!  just check out Leviticus.  As a matter of fact, I remember that
somebody once posted the Bible verses in question.  Yes, here it is:

>>From caprio@ttidcb.UUCP (Don Caprio) Thu Sep 13 15:31:07 1984
>>Here are some biblical references for the homosexuality issue:

>>   "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female;
>>    it is an abomination."
>>			     Leviticus 18:22  (NASB)

>>   "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who
>>    lie with a woman, both of them have committed a
>>    destestable act;..."

>>			     Leviticus 20:13  (NASB)

>>   "For this reason God gave them over to degrading
>>    passions; for their women exchanged the natural function
>>    for that which was unnatural, and in the same way
>>    also the men abandoned the natural function of the women and
>>    burned in their desire toward one another, men with men
>>    committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons
>>    the due penalty of their error. And just as they did not
>>    see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over
>>    to a depraved mind, to do things which are not proper,.."

>>			     Romans 1:26-28  (NASB)

>>    "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the Kingdom of God?
>>     Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral not idolaters
>>     nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
>>     nor thieves not the greedy nor drunkards nor swindlers will
>>     inherit the kingdom of God.
>>     And that is what some of you [the Christians of Corinth] were.
>>     But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified
>>     in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ
>>      and by the Spirit of our God."

>>			       1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (NIV)

Julie Harazduk
philabs!jah

bermes@ihu1m.UUCP (Terry Bermes) (01/11/85)

  While I can't quote directly (don't have a bible with me), the reference
in Romans concerning homosexuality doesn't put a stamp of approval on it
but then again the passage doesn't support the persecution of homosexuals
that so many "Christians" feel is right to do. If my memory serves me
correctly (and I'm sure you'll correct me if it doesn't), according to
Romans, homosexuals have afflictions brought on themselves. Christ never
taught that any sinner should be persecuted. A Christian will probably
believe that promiscuity is wrong(sinful). I feel that this is as far as
they ("Christians") can go with homosexuality. They can hold to its
sinfulness on the basis of promiscuity but to go any farther flies in
the face of the bible's "moral" teaching.
                                    Terry Bermes

strick@gatech.UUCP (henry strickland) (01/12/85)

> From: larryg@teklds.UUCP (Larry Gardner)
> Newsgroups: net.religion
> Subject: homosexuality and the Bible
>
> I do not understand the purpose of the article by "whatshisname" on proving
> that I Cor. and a couple other passages were not against homosexuality.
>
> Look if you want to be gay, fine.  But don't try to put God's stamp
> of approval on it.  There are many other verses in the Bible clearly
> denouncing homosexuality.
>
> karen alias larryg

You apparently missed the whole series (4 parts + 1 correction) or you
might better understand his purpose.  1 Co was not the only book
examined:  he analyzed all verses popularly thought to refer to
homosexuality  [actually, he summarized from Boswell's book].

The point of the series is that there is nothing in the Bible that
criticizes homosexuality itself except for the Mosaic Law in
Leviticus, where the origional tongue uses the same word to prohibit
it as is used to prohibit eating pork or wearing clothes not all made of
the same fabric:  something that is ritualistically unclean for Jews
(as opposed to the word used to describe murder, something inherently evil).

Sodom and Gamorrah were destroyed for inhospitality,  Romans 1 criticizes
infidelity or casual sex, and Corintheans is usually mistranslated.

I don't think this puts God's stamp of approval on it.  But I do think
there is great doubt that the Bible says anything against gayness for a
Christian.  If the Bible doesn't tell you it's evil, maybe it was the
devil.  He likes to cause trouble in the name of the Lord . . .

Karen, I'll send you a free copy of the series.  Anyone else will have
to ask me for the set.  They're rather interesting.

Look, if you want to hate gays, fine.  But don't try to put
God's stamp of approval on it.

                         Peace,   strick
--
 --  henry strickland
  --  the clouds project            { akgua allegra hplabs inhp4 }

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (01/14/85)

> Look, if you want to hate gays, fine.  But don't try to put
> God's stamp of approval on it.

Yeah, right.  If someone disagrees with you, that means they
hate you.

Sure.

Kind of cheap, don't you think?
--
Paul DuBois	  {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

"And the streets shall be full of boys and girls playing	  --+--
in the streets thereof..."					    |
				Zechariah 8:5			    |

trandolph@cougar.DEC (01/14/85)

>> Look if you want to be gay, fine.  But don't try to put God's stamp
>> of approval on it.  There are many other verses in the Bible clearly
>> denouncing homosexuality.
>> karen alias larryg
>
>There are a very few references that are used by some Christians in an
>attempt to brand gay people as some sort of supersinners.  This has gone
>so far as to lead some very radical rightwing Christians to deny human
>rights to gay people, and even led some to say that gay people deserve
>death or worse.  Actually, the artical seems to have been written to show
>that at least some of these references probabally do not mean anything
>of the sort.

Maybe not. I wouldn't be surprized, given the various translation problems.

>If you know of many other verses, send them out to the net,
>so that others will have the oppurtunity to debunk them also.

How's this? "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both
of them have committed an abomination" Pretty straightforward stuff.

>As a Christian, you are limited to using the New Testement (unless you
>are one of those rare Christians who follows the whole of the Law).

When were the commandments repealed? Christ's work on earth negated nothing
except the elaborate rituals associated with remission of sin. Nothing
particularly rare about that opinion.

>Otherwise, come on down to your local MCC and then tell us that gays
>cannot be Christians.

Why not? *Anybody* can become a Christian, the Bible is quite clear about it.

>Sincerely,
>Richard A. Brower

T.F.Randolph
UUCP:   ...{allegra,amd,decvax,ihnp4,nsc,ucbvax}!
                                decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-cougar!trandolph
USnail: DEC, Mail stop LMO2/E01, 111 Locke Drive, Marlboro, MA 01752

agz@pucc-i (Andrew Banta) (01/15/85)

[] <-- for a terrific show, place your eye here

Once again,  Christians show how intolerant they are to other people.
Thank god (pun intended) not everyone is like this.

Andy Banta			{decvax!allegra!ihnp4}!pur-ee!pucc-k!agz
Dept. of Mental Instability, Purdue University --- "I'm OK, You're a CS Major"

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (01/18/85)

> Once again,  Christians show how intolerant they are to other people.
> Thank god (pun intended) not everyone is like this.

Once again,  "you can't disagree with others, not in
*this* newsgroup!"

Disagreement != intolerance

It's just a variant of "You think x is wrong, therefore you
hate those who practice x."

Sure.
--
Paul DuBois	  {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

"Got to start by *finding* it, have we?  Not allowed to		  --+--
start by *looking* for it, I suppose."				    |
					-- Puddleglum		    |

agz@pucc-k (Andrew Banta) (01/23/85)

[]

Ok, people have been toasting me left and right for that little message
I sent out.  I guess I didn't qualify it well enough, so I'll do that
now.  Christianity in and of itself is fine.  Christianity has many
ideals behind it that I practice, as do other religions.  What I was
complaining about is those who use Christianity as a crutch for their
own unjustifiable prejudices.

Since when did you (not any *particular* person here) get to decide who
can be Christian and who can't?  How do *you* justify not letting other
people be Christian just because they don't have the exact same
interpretation of the Christian beliefs as you.  I don't think you can
exclude homosexuals from Christianity, nor do I think you can exclude
murderers and other assorted criminals that you care to name, nor do I
think you can exclude anybody!  From what I was taught, Christians are
people who believe in Christ.  They may not be able to follow the
teachings of Christ to a tee, but can you?

That is the intolerance I was complaining about.  I may have been a bit
cocky and rude last time, and I apologize.  I hope this makes better
sense.

Andy Banta			{decvax!allegra!ihnp4}!pur-ee!pucc-k!agz
Dept. of Mental Instability, Purdue University --- "I'm OK, You're a CS Major"

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (01/24/85)

<followup to Julie Harazduk>

I don't believe it!  By the way, this is Whatshisname speaking.
Larry Gardner cites Boswell's expose' of biblical mistranslation
& then acts as if it never took place ("Don't put God's stamp of
approval on it!").  THEN Julie Harazduk reposts the very article
(Don Caprio's bible quotes) that prompted my Boswell summaries
(in which I incorporated all of Caprio's quotes ), and merely
by so doing seems to believe she's proved something.  She has:
that there's no limit to the nonsense on this net.

What a carousel!  It makes me giddy.....

					Whoozily,
					Ron Rizzo