[net.religion] Judgemental behavior

jj@alice.UUCP (01/16/85)

This is co-posted to net.religion because I think it belongs
there.  I don't view this article as a flame, I am merely reacting
to articles IN net.flame.

I've seen a lot of people (by net standards a lot) who profess to
be Christian, and who are judging people by their netnews articles.
<Note that I don't consider netnews articles to have any correpondence
with reality.>

I was under the impression that two of the basic tenets of Christian
belief were "Turn the other cheek" and "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

The people who are currently inhabiting net.flame (with one exception,
at least, Paul) seem to have either forgotten this or think that they
themselves are beyond judgement.

Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin!
--
TEDDY BEARS PROTECT PENGUINS FROM WALRUSES
"I wish I was home again, back home in my heart again, it's been such a time

(allegra,harpo,ulysses)!alice!jj

sm@cadre.UUCP (01/18/85)

In article <3293@alice.UUCP> jj@alice.UUCP writes:
>I was under the impression that two of the basic tenets of Christian
>belief were "Turn the other cheek" and "Judge not, lest ye be judged."
>
>The people who are currently inhabiting net.flame (with one exception,
>at least, Paul) seem to have either forgotten this or think that they
>themselves are beyond judgement.
>
>Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin!
>--
The line beginning "The people who are currently inhabiting net.flame..."
certainly sounds like a judgement to me! The capacity to adjuticate is,
insofar as I am aware, a trait which is singular to humans among all
Earth-dwelling creatures. I can see where one might object to personal
insult (and there is a lot of that on the net), but a sweeping comment
like the one above reflects BAD judgement (which might be better than
none at all).

Whatever happened to people using real (and intact), names and accurate
site names? (Don't we have a right to know who our accusers are?)

Sean McLinden

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (01/27/85)

> From: sm@cadre.UUCP

> In article <3293@alice.UUCP> jj@alice.UUCP writes:
>> I was under the impression that two of the basic tenets of Christian
>> belief were "Turn the other cheek" and "Judge not, lest ye be judged."
>>
>> The people who are currently inhabiting net.flame (with one exception,
>> at least, Paul) seem to have either forgotten this or think that they
>> themselves are beyond judgement.

The two basic tenets of Christian belief are:

"Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy
mind." (Matt. 22:37)

"Love thy neighbour as thyself." (Matt. 22:39)

"On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." (Matt. 22:40)

"Judge not, lest ye be judged" (Matt. 7:1) was preached by Jesus at the Sermon
on the Mount, and neither of the two above tentets violates this.
--
			Baby tie your hair back in a long white bow ...
			Meet me in the field, behind the dynamo ...

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo