[net.religion] Bible texts

arndt@lymph.DEC (01/30/85)

From:	ROLL::USENET       "USENET Newsgroup Distributor"   29-NOV-1984 01:37
To:	LYMPH::ARNDT
Subj:	USENET net.philosophy newsgroup articles

Newsgroups: net.abortion,net.politics,net.religion,net.philosophy
Subject: Re: Abortion and Capital Punishment

> In article <779@ariel.UUCP> norm@ariel.UUCP (N.ANDREWS) writes:
> >I don't give a a damn "what the Bible teaches".  Abortion is NOT murder.  Those
> >who advocate the trial and execution of abortionists are the real advocates of
> >murder, and that includes YOU, Tom Albrect.  ... <MUCH DELETED> ...  If
> >someone believes in "what the Bible teaches", there's very little point in
> >trying to explain to them a philosophical basis for the concept of rights...
> >-Norm Andrews  (My opinions are my own, not the Bible's or my employer's...)
>
> I want to respond to this.  I REALLY do.  But there's nothing to
> respond to.
>

> --
> 					Blessed Be,
>
>  jhull@spp2.UUCP			Jeff Hull
>  trwspp!spp2!jhull@trwrb.UUCP		13817 Yukon Ave.
> 					Hawthorne, CA 90250

"Grunt went the pig,
 Neigh went the horse,
 and moo went the cow
 as a matter of course."

					Bumble Be

Newsgroups: net.abortion,net.politics,net.religion,net.philosophy
Subject: Re: Re: Abortion and Capital Punishment

> > I have never heard such a evil thing on this network before.  I can't believe
> > people really think like this.  I hope no one else out there has this demented
> > view of children, whether you are pro-abortion or not.  Does this man propose
> > that we set ourselves up higher than any other authority and kill children
> > because they can't take care of themselves?  I just can't believe anyone could
> > say such a thing!

	I am not for killing children at will; but just for the sake for
	argument consider this: If you hold that it is immoral to kill
	children because they cannot take care of themselves, why isn't it
	immoral to kill animals for the same reason? Why do people believe it
	is ok for humans to set themselves as higher authorities over animals
	which depend on them, but not against other humans who also depend on
	them.

	To carry it further; When a baboon is killed and it's heart transplanted
	in a human, it is hailed as a scientific breakthrough; but can you
	imagine what the reaction from the world community would be if a human
	baby (however sick or retarted) were to be killed so it's heart can
	be transplanted in a baboon, which would be an equally great scientific
	breakthrough?
								- raghu

Newsgroups: net.abortion,net.politics,net.religion,net.philosophy

> > >	So I think parents
> > >	should have the right to "kill" their children till something
> > >	like the age of 12.

	Maybe this guy is on to something revolutionary in evolution of
	humans (:-)).

		Though I don't at all agree with his ideas, I must confess
	there are times when killing humans seems to be the most humane
	thing to do.

		A case in point: the starving children of Ethiopia and other
	African countries. Scientists tell us that these children are already
	so severly malnourished that even if they were to survive and grow up,
	they would be so severly retarted (mentally, that is) that they
	wouldn't be able to take care of themselves and live a normal life.
	Which means Ethiopia would have a whole generation of retarted
	citizens (what an awful thought) who would be incapable of looking
	after or feeding themselves or their children, which means their
	children would grow up malnourished and retarded. And since the
	government is too poor (and the international community too unwilling)
	to guarantee nourishment for these children throughout their lives,
	isn't it the most humane thing to kill those children (who would
	otherwise grow up retarded) and end the misery now, rather than
	propagate it for generations to come?

Newsgroups: net.philosophy
Subject: Sotware vs. "meat"

Nf-ID: #N:ea:9800040:000:1256
Nf-From: ea!mwm    Nov 23 15:14:00 1984

/***** ea:net.politics / wucs!esk /  9:16 pm  Nov 20, 1984 */
> Remember, you don't HAVE a body, you ARE a body.
>	Russ Herman	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!rwh

> You may be a body, but I *have* one. I hope to be uploaded to something
> more durable in the future --
> 	"Protect your software at all costs; the rest is meat."
>	<mike	( mwm@ea.UUCP )

Russ was right.  Software without "meat" is worth nothing.

> -- (and off we go into another net.philosophy debate.)

Ready when you are!

				--The untiring iconoclast,
				Paul V Torek, ihnp4!wucs!wucec1!pvt1047
/* ---------- */

Ok, here we go:

Of course software without "meat" is worthless. But "meat" without software
has only nutritional value; which makes it worthless as far as this
discussion goes.

Now, read the last line from me carefully: "I hope to be uploaded to
*something* ... ." Key word: "something." I claim that "I" can function on
other hardware, be it meat, silicon, plasma, or whatever. [I also claim I
can *prove* that that can happen, barring dualism!] Therefore, I can change
"bodies" - so I am not a body, any more than I am a house. Both are things
that "I" temporarily make use of. Therefore, I "have" a body, in the same
manner that I "have" a house.

Newsgroups: net.philosophy
Subject: Re: Sotware vs. "meat"

(Sotware.  Is that a new euphemism for booze?)

>From: mwm@ea.UUCP
> Now, read the last line from me carefully: "I hope to be uploaded to
> *something* ... ." Key word: "something." I claim that "I" can function on
> other hardware, be it meat, silicon, plasma, or whatever. [I also claim I
> can *prove* that that can happen, barring dualism!] Therefore, I can change
> "bodies" - so I am not a body, any more than I am a house. Both are things
> that "I" temporarily make use of. Therefore, I "have" a body, in the same
> manner that I "have" a house.
>					less-than-mike

Well, thank goodness someone has solved the enigma of personal identity. ;-)

Seriously, granting for the sake of the discussion that the state and dynamics
of the brain are what define individual awareness (or whatever *your* "I" is),
and that a reproduction of the same state and functionality is possible in
some other medium, isn't your current fleshmobile still going to die, and
isn't your current "I" still going to experience that death, regardless of
whether or not your soul-appliance is infected with something that will
generate net.news?

					Approximately-Baba

Newsgroups: net.religion,net.philosophy
Subject: Re: Abortion and Capital Punishment -- digression

From Bob Atkinson (watmath!csc):

> ... I think it is important for us to realize that the
> bible is NOT an OBJECTIVE piece of literature, any more than any other
> work that has been transcribed by man is.  For generations it was
> passed down by word of mouth, subject to all the biases and interpretations
> of those who passed it on.  Even in written form, it has been through
> countless translations and rewriting.  I find it extremely difficult
> to believe that its content is exactly the same as when it began.

And so what?  Jesus promised, "When...the Spirit of truth comes, He will
guide you into all truth."  The Bible is still a good guidebook, useful to
have; but it is only an assistant, an adjunct to the Spirit, Who bears
witness with our spirit that we are His, and Who guides us into all truth.

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq

Newsgroups: net.abortion,net.politics,net.religion,net.philosophy

Yet another appeal.  Please get the #*%&$ abortion articles OUT OF
ALL NEWSGROUPS EXCEPT NET.ABORTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The newsgroup was created to keep abortion articles out of other
newsgroups.  Please recall the suggestions for net courtesy.  The
discussion of abortion doesn't belong anywhere other than net.abortion.
Please keep it there.

Newsgroups: net.abortion,net.politics,net.religion,net.philosophy

()

If you really advocate the theory which you stated equating humanness with
independence, you are not only advocating abortion but the needless deaths of
all those who require long-term care and as such are not selfreliant. Would
you put a gun to the head of your senile grandparent,your mentally or
physically-impaired relative, or your own pre-adolescent child and pull the
trigger if they did something to inconvenience you? A little sacrifice is
good for everyone once in a while. If you can answer yes to ant of the
previously stated rhetorical questions, you possess that which I lack;
a complete ignorance of morality.
 I am not a religious person; indeed, I am forced by my present circumstances
to attend services regardless of my own feelings on the matter. However, I DO
believe in a universal set of morals, which the concept which you seem to be
a proponent of violates.
--

                             A. J. Rowley
                          "see, no problem!"

There is no dark side of the moon really; as a matter of fact, it's all dark....

                                    - Pink Floyd, "Eclipse"

arndt@lymph.DEC (02/01/85)

I would like to speak to the following comment by Bob Atkinson.

-------------------------

From Bob Atkinson (watmath!csc):

> ... I think it is important for us to realize that the
> bible is NOT an OBJECTIVE piece of literature, any more than any other
> work that has been transcribed by man is.  For generations it was
> passed down by word of mouth, subject to all the biases and interpretations
> of those who passed it on.  Even in written form, it has been through
> countless translations and rewriting.  I find it extremely difficult
> to believe that its content is exactly the same as when it began.

---------------------------

I wonder just what a definition of OBJECTIVE literature would be, given Bob's
comment "any more than any other work that has been transcribed by man is."
I mean, isn't EVERY piece of literature 'transcribed' by man.  By printing
(typesetting), copying in any format, even READING is an act of transcribing!

There is very little of the Bible that is now believed to have been 'passed
down by word of mouth' given the early date now known for the skill of writing.
Not only that but the first book of the bible, while believed to be compiled
by Moses, is in the format of Summerian tablets, ie. titles last, last phrase
on bottem of tablet repeated on top of next tablet to be read, etc.  So it is
not at all out of place to speculate that Moses compiled from tablets or paper
copies of the origional family tablets of Abraham, etc.

As for the changes thought to have taken place (and those that did) during
the written transmission of the text - well, the bible is THE most reliable
body of writing we have in this regard!!!!  No other body of writing comes
close.  Bob writes as if he knows nothing of current knowledge.  The Dead Sea
Scrolls have given us a look back hundreds of years from the date of the
privious known manuscripts.  And the texts are relatively unchanged!  It IS
possible to base doctrune on the texts because only minor changes in words,
etc. have occured.  NOT ONLY THAT BUT WE HAVE TEXTS WIDLY SEPARATED IN TIME
AND PLACE BESIDES THE SCROLLS THAT ALSO SHOW ONLY MINOR CHANGES.  It was 19th
C. scholarship that believed that the texts must have changed - an argument
from silence I might add - and now the EVIDENCE has shown them to be wrong!

Just so it used to be believed that oral traditions must have changed with
the passage of time.  Then anthropological field work showed how reliable
the passage of stories, etc. was.  That some peoples took great pains to
ensure the accurate transmission of their histories.  "Primative" people
could memorize long passages and pass them on over generations!

Don't believe the bible, but don't use this argument.  It doesn't hold up.
No the content is not EXACTLY the same, but as a matter of judgement, it seems
to me to be close enough.

I would ask Bob to rethink his statement.

Regards,

Ken Arndt