[net.religion] Someone else's article -- worth reading!!!!

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Pesmard Flurrmn) (01/30/85)

Dave Trissel has written an excellent article that I fear will be overlooked
by many because they are consciously avoiding the "Mormon vs. Christian"
discussion.  Please take a look at this article, as it has quite a lot to say,
and it is said very well.
In article <315@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> scott@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Scott Deerwester) writes:
>I would highly recommend the book, "The Mormon Papers", available
>at any Christian bookstore for a rigorous treatment of why Mormons
>aren't Christians by any definition not given by Mormons.

Some decades ago while in highschool I was given a book by my parents titled
something like "What Others Believe" I think by Zondorvon Press.  Not only
did it warn me about the Mormon church but had a chapter on that evil
institution the Catholic Church.  It showed how Catholics are so misguided
in that as every year goes by they tend to worship Mary more and more and
Jesus less and less.  Another shocking "truth" was that they don't even read
the REAL Bible (The King James Version) but instead thier church has seen
fit to invent its own version of God's word.

Being the self-righteous dedicated Church of the Nazaerene member that I was
I later told off a good friend of mine in college about how horrible his
religion was.  I was too blind to see that he went away really hurt from my
attack.  Now, older but much wiser I still feel regret for the harm I caused.
It took a while, but after facing up to the hypocrisy of my religion and
seeing how horrible and narrow-minded my views were I finally saw the light
and quit.

So when I see a reference to a book which will 'explain the truth' about
one religion written by the follower of another I have to wonder.  How many
others are building up regrets like mine?  Worse yet, how many others will
never come to know and understand their self-righteous and hypocritical ways?
That is the saddest part.

Dave Trissel     {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet
Thank you, Dave.  I hope you don't mind my re-posting it, but I really thought
your article was worthwhile reading that might have been ignored by some
because of the title.
--
"Pardon me for breathing which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bothered
 to mention it--Oh, God, I'm so depressed."		Rich Rosen  pyuxd!rlr

alien@gcc-bill.ARPA (Alien Wells) (02/01/85)

>In article <315@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> scott@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Scott Deerwester) writes:
>Some decades ago while in highschool I was given a book by my parents titled
>something like "What Others Believe" I think by Zondorvon Press.  Not only
>did it warn me about the Mormon church but had a chapter on that evil
>institution the Catholic Church.  It showed how Catholics are so misguided
>in that as every year goes by they tend to worship Mary more and more and
>Jesus less and less.  Another shocking "truth" was that they don't even read
>the REAL Bible (The King James Version) but instead thier church has seen
>fit to invent its own version of God's word.
>
>Being the self-righteous dedicated Church of the Nazaerene member that I was

I also grew up in the Church of the Nazarene, and I remember a brochure that
I saw which was (I believe) printed by the Nazarene Publishing House.  It told
about the horrors of masturbation (a recent topic of interest on the net) and
how to prevent your children from masturbating.  Some of its recommendations
were:
	- never let your child have any time to himself
	- don't let him get enough sleep, so he will fall asleep immediately

On the other hand, one must keep in mind that some churches, and the Church
of the Nazarene in particular, have very little in the way of central control
and you can hardly denounce the whole religion on the basis of things like
this.  In travelling, I have seen Nazarene churches which seemed almost like
Southern Babtists to some like Methodists to some churches which were down-right
Charismatic.  The central church's authority is very small, and the individual
churches vary a lot based on the area and congregation.  The fact that the
congregations choose thier own pastor probably re-inforces this.

But I digress.  My thanks to Scott for some very good thoughts.

					Alien