> > 		Falwell/Moral Majority		8
> > 		Fundamentalist Christians	4
> > 		Jews for Jesus			2
> > 		Moonies				2
> > 		Campus Crusade for Christ	1
> > 		Mormons				1
> > 		-------------------------	-
> > 		Total Miscelaneous Xians	18
> >

>    Um, I beg to differ, but neither the Moonies and Mormons are "Christians".
> Now, I'm not saying that the others are particularly _good_ examples of
> Christians, but the others just down fit it that category.
>
>    Try: "Miscelaneous Loony-toons", perhaps.

> Ray Lubinsky		     University of Virginia, Dept. of Computer Science
> 			     uucp: decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!rwl
>
> 		"Always looking for a better way, I am!"

I suggest you find out more about the Mormon church, "The Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter Day Saints".  Moonies I'm not qualified to comment on.

--
Jeff Myers				The views above may or may not
University of Wisconsin-Madison		reflect the views of any other

schmidt@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt) (01/22/85)

>>    Um, I beg to differ, but neither the Moonies and Mormons are "Christians".
>> Now, I'm not saying that the others are particularly _good_ examples of
>> Christians, but the others just down fit it that category.
>>
>>    Try: "Miscelaneous Loony-toons", perhaps.
>>
>> Ray Lubinsky
>>

> I suggest you find out more about the Mormon church, "The Church of Jesus
> Christ of Latter Day Saints".  Moonies I'm not qualified to comment on.
>
> Jeff Myers

	Many Christian groups do not consider The Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter Day Saints to be Christian.  Therefore, it is not rhetorically
incorrect to say Mormons are not Christian.

	I'm familiar with the convention, but I'm not too keen on the
exact reasons behind it, though I suppose I could find out if someone
really really needed to know (currently, supper starts in a half hour,
so I'm not taking the research time).

				-- Alan
				(..tektronix!reed!schmidt)

larsen@druxo.UUCP (LarsenME) (01/24/85)

>	Many Christian groups do not consider The Church of Jesus Christ
>of Latter Day Saints to be Christian.  Therefore, it is not rhetorically
>incorrect to say Mormons are not Christian.

>				-- Alan
>				(..tektronix!reed!schmidt)

Webster: "rhetoric - 1. the art of speaking or writing effectively."

Unfortunately, "effective" writing does not imply accuracy, so I cannot
dispute the second statement above.  However, I would suggest that "many
Christian groups" are as much in the dark about Mormons as the poster of
the original article.  After all, you don't go to IBM or Xerox to get
answers to your questions about a VAX, but the right folks at Digital can
tell you all you want to know.  You may not like the answers, but you get
it from the source, not from rumor or hearsay.

				    Mark E. Larsen
				    ...ihnp4!druxo!larsen

P.S. These are my own views, not those of my employer.

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (01/25/85)

> 	Many Christian groups do not consider The Church of Jesus Christ
> of Latter Day Saints to be Christian.  Therefore, it is not rhetorically
> incorrect to say Mormons are not Christian.

THAT is how one defines Christianity????????????
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

scott@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Scott Deerwester) (01/26/85)

I would highly recommend the book, "The Mormon Papers", available
at any Christian bookstore for a rigorous treatment of why Mormons
aren't Christians by any definition not given by Mormons.  It
discusses their "scriptures", doctrines, history...  I'd be glad
to provide a better reference for anybody who wants the book
but can't find it.  Also "The Kingdom of the Cults" has a good
(briefer) summary of the same issues.  The latter also discusses
Jehovah's Witnesses, the Unification Church, and a lot of other
cults that are a lot further away from Christianity.

	Scott Deerwester
	(now at) University of Chicago
	Graduate Library School

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (01/27/85)

In article <315@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> scott@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Scott Deerwester) writes:
>I would highly recommend the book, "The Mormon Papers", available
>at any Christian bookstore for a rigorous treatment of why Mormons
>aren't Christians by any definition not given by Mormons.

Some decades ago while in highschool I was given a book by my parents titled
something like "What Others Believe" I think by Zondorvon Press.  Not only
did it warn me about the Mormon church but had a chapter on that evil
institution the Catholic Church.  It showed how Catholics are so misguided
in that as every year goes by they tend to worship Mary more and more and
Jesus less and less.  Another shocking "truth" was that they don't even read
the REAL Bible (The King James Version) but instead thier church has seen
fit to invent its own version of God's word.

Being the self-righteous dedicated Church of the Nazaerene member that I was
I later told off a good friend of mine in college about how horrible his
religion was.  I was too blind to see that he went away really hurt from my
attack.  Now, older but much wiser I still feel regret for the harm I caused.
It took a while, but after facing up to the hypocrisy of my religion and
seeing how horrible and narrow-minded my views were I finally saw the light
and quit.

So when I see a reference to a book which will 'explain the truth' about
one religion written by the follower of another I have to wonder.  How many
others are building up regrets like mine?  Worse yet, how many others will
never come to know and understand their self-righteous and hypocritical ways?
That is the saddest part.

Dave Trissel     {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

geb@cadre.UUCP (01/29/85)

In article <315@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> scott@gargoyle.UUCP writes:
>I would highly recommend the book, "The Mormon Papers", available
>at any Christian bookstore for a rigorous treatment of why Mormons
>aren't Christians by any definition not given by Mormons.  It
>discusses their "scriptures", doctrines, history...  I'd be glad
>to provide a better reference for anybody who wants the book
>but can't find it.  Also "The Kingdom of the Cults" has a good
>(briefer) summary of the same issues.  The latter also discusses
>Jehovah's Witnesses, the Unification Church, and a lot of other
>cults that are a lot further away from Christianity.
>
>	Scott Deerwester
>	(now at) University of Chicago
>	Graduate Library School

The literature you find in "Christian" bookstores is about as "rigorous"
and objective as the news over radio Moscow.  I suggest you trip on
over to Regenstein Library (I suppose you know how to find that)
and browse through some of the excellent collection on the Mormons.
As a matter of fact, the University of Chicago press publishes an
excellent non-biased book called "The Mormons" by Thomas F. O'Dea,
who is a catholic priest.  He certainly does not suggest that the
Mormons are non-Christians.  I also suggest you check a few
encyclopedias, like Britannica.  I know of not one authority
on the sociology of religions that would classify either
the Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses as non-Christian.
In actuality, the only people who don't consider Mormons
to be Christian are the usual set of "born-again" loonies.

bch@ecsvax.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) (01/30/85)

In article <837@reed.UUCP> schmidt@reed.UUCP writes:

>	Many Christian groups do not consider The Church of Jesus Christ
>of Latter Day Saints to be Christian.  Therefore, it is not rhetorically
>incorrect to say Mormons are not Christian.

Many Christian groups do consider the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter
Day Saints to be Christian.  Therefore, it is not rhetorically
incorrect to say Mormons *are* Christian.

By any objective standard, the Mormons would appear to be disciples of
Christ following an intellectual tradition different from that of
Apostolic christianity.  That they differ from "mainstream" christi-
anity in this day and age and that they aren't fundamentalist
christians does not preclude them from being generically christian.
Remember, at one time "mainstream" christianity did not consider
protestant christians to be christians.

--

                                              Byron Howes
					System Manager -- NCECS

sm@cadre.UUCP (01/30/85)

In article <837@reed.UUCP> schmidt@reed.UUCP (PUT YOUR RELIGION HERE) writes:
>	Many Christian groups do not consider The Church of Jesus Christ
>of Latter Day Saints to be Christian.  Therefore, it is not rhetorically
>incorrect to say Mormons are not Christian.

Whoa! I would argue that the opinion of "Many Christian groups" is of
no value, whatsoever, in determining who is a Christian [a person pro-
fessing belief in Jesus as the Christ *OR* in the religion based on the
teachings of Jesus - Webster]. Hitler's Germany and the Crusaders are
examples of "Christians" that I am sure Jesus would have disavowed; so
much for the opinion of self-proclaimed Christians.

Haven't we seen enough of this discussion?

Sean McLinden

sm@cadre.UUCP (01/30/85)

In article <588@ecsvax.UUCP> bch@ecsvax.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) writes:
>            ...  That they differ from "mainstream" christi-
>anity in this day and age and that they aren't fundamentalist
>christians does not preclude them from being generically christian.
>Remember, at one time "mainstream" christianity did not consider
>protestant christians to be christians.

Last I heard, "Christ" was a title and "Jesus Christ" a person.
Convention suggests that "Christian" should be capitalized for
those reasons (independent of religious belief). Our language
is degenerating enough as it is and besides, capital letters add
flair to a sentence.

Sean McLinden
(A former Teletype user)

geb@cadre.UUCP (01/30/85)

>So when I see a reference to a book which will 'explain the truth' about
>one religion written by the follower of another I have to wonder.  How many
>others are building up regrets like mine?  Worse yet, how many others will
>never come to know and understand their self-righteous and hypocritical ways?
>That is the saddest part.

Your letter is a good example of the harm such hate-literature can
cause.  Fortunately it has become unfashionable to publish books
against Jews or saying that blacks aren't really human except among
the most lunatic fringe, but many people (I didn't say all or even
the majority, so don't write) in the Evangelical movement
seem to think evangelism consists of holding other people's
forms of worship up to ridicule.  I think this is a most despicable
practice.  Of course rational doctrinal dispute is perfectly
legitimate, as is social criticism of policies of institutions such
as the Mormon or Catholic Church, but that is not what you find in
the "Christian" presses (such as Zondervan).  Evangelicals should
concentrate on pursuading people of the merits of what they have to offer
rather than carping at the "cults".

schmidt@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt) (01/31/85)

|| The literature you find in "Christian" bookstores is about as "rigorous"
|| and objective as the news over radio Moscow.
|| As a matter of fact, the University of Chicago press publishes an
|| excellent non-biased book called "The Mormons" by Thomas F. O'Dea,
|| who is a catholic priest.  He certainly does not suggest that the
|| Mormons are non-Christians.
|| In actuality, the only people who don't consider Mormons
|| to be Christian are the usual set of "born-again" loonies.

The Mormons do not believe in the divinity of Christ.  They may call
themselves Christians, and that's just fine.  The encyclopedia can call
them Christians.  This is also fine.  Religions have usually been worlds
unto themselves as far as definitions are concerned, and I feel I should
give you mine:  Christians believe Christ was God.

Yes, this is the Humpty-Dumpty syndrome.  It is also the formal policy
of the Catholic church (the greater portion of which do not fall into
the category of "'born-again' loonies"), the Lutherans, Methodists, and
Presbyterians.

I'll concede that there are a lot of "loonies" out there, some of which
don't consider anyone who doesn't belong to their denomination
non-Christian.  It all depends on where you place your definitive
authority on religious matters.  If my "last word" comes from one
source, and yours comes from another, we can talk until we're blue in
the face, and not get anywhere.  This is one reason I don't subscribe to
net.religion.

Take it for what it's worth.  At the very least, we can agree to
disagree.

Alan
..tektronix!reed!schmidt

PS  Everyone's entitled to their own, albeit WRONG opinion.

larryg@teklds.UUCP (Larry Gardner) (01/31/85)

I can certainly understand a disdain for self-righteousness but that
doesn't mean that someone can't be "right".

If there really is a truth, then there must be error to anything not
lining up with that truth.

God says to "speak the truth in love".  It sounds like in your Nazarene
churh they were more interested in religiousness than knowing Jesus.
That happens to people inside and outside or churches.  It is wrong
to put down another person for whatever "right" reason a person has.
It isn't wrong to speak the truth in a loving way.  It is too bad that
you weren't taught that as well as the false doctrines of Mormonism
and the Catholic church.

Yes, I will take a stand and say the ONLY WAY is knowing Jesus.  There
is no other!  But I will not force you to believe it or insult you if
you don't.  Jesus didn't teach that.  The only people He tended to
insult were the "SELF"-righteous.

karen

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (01/31/85)

Boy, some people leave themselves WIDE OPEN!  Check this out...

> I would highly recommend the book, "The Mormon Papers", available
> at any Christian bookstore for a rigorous treatment of why Mormons
> aren't Christians by any definition not given by Mormons.

1) I am not Mormon (nor any kind of Christian, for that matter).

2) My definition of "Christian" is "Someone whose religion believes
   that Jesus Christ was in some manner divine".

3) Mormons are Christians by my definition of Christianity.

You claimed that there was NOT ONE non-Mormon in the world whose
definition of Christianity would include Mormonism.  Since I am such
a person, YOU LOSE.  You are WRONG.  There is NO defense.
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

bmt@we53.UUCP ( B. M. Thomas ) (02/01/85)

>.....................  After all, you don't go to IBM or Xerox to get
>answers to your questions about a VAX, but the right folks at Digital can
>tell you all you want to know.  You may not like the answers, but you get
>it from the source, not from rumor or hearsay.
>
>				    Mark E. Larsen
>				    ...ihnp4!druxo!larsen

In that case, have I got a deal for you!! :-?

brain

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (02/01/85)

I do not see how this series of articles is appropriate for
net.politics.

					David Rubin

In article <877@reed.UUCP> schmidt@reed.UUCP (PUT YOUR BELIEFS HERE) writes:
>The Mormons do not believe in the divinity of Christ.  They may call
>themselves Christians, and that's just fine.  The encyclopedia can call
>them Christians.  This is also fine.  Religions have usually been worlds
>unto themselves as far as definitions are concerned, and I feel I should
>give you mine:  Christians believe Christ was God.

	I will agree to this with one minor alteration:
Christians believe that the Christ was *uniquely* God.
That is he, and he *alone* was God incarnate.
The original formulation would include those that
believe everyone is God.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
 or
quad1!psivax!friesen

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (02/03/85)

I'm sure this discussion doesn't need to continue to be cross-posted to five
newsgroups.  Couldn't you edit the "Newsgroups: " line next time you
follow up on the last follow-up to your previous follow-ups.  I suggest
paring it down to net.religion.
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA