[net.religion] Avi Gross != Ari Gross <Re: A short essay on tolerance>

avi@pegasus.UUCP (Avi E. Gross) (02/03/85)

Neil Olsen (olsen@wxlvax.UUCP) writes in article <392@wxlvax.UUCP>:
> In a reply to the posting of an article containing information about
> the orthodox Jews vs the Christian Baptist church in Jerusalem, A.Gross
                                                                  ^ ^^^^^
> made the following ordering of religious intolerants ...	[OLSEN]

I know I have been rather quiet on the net for half a year or so, but it
has been rather obvious that I am not an Orthodox Jew these days.
I would appreciate it if Neil would use a more descriptive name when
referring to someone on the net. It would have been more proper to use a
full name like Ari Gross, and preferrably to include a name like "cvl!arig".
For the record, I do not know Ari Gross and am not related to him.
Furthermore, I happen to differ with him on the religious censhorship issues
being discussed. I happen to have an extremely low opinion of people who
feel the need to aggressively prosyletize in ares where they are not wanted,
but I don't feel justified in physically forcing them to stop.

I was just in Israel on my honeymoon this summer, and I was amazed at the
degree of religious harmony that I did find. The Israeli government (as
compared to some fanatic individuals mentioned recently) takes great pains
to protect Christian and Moslem places of worship. It is not fair to single
out a few Orthodox Jews without also pointing out the number of Jewish
places everywhere in the world that are desecrated by equally intolerant
people of other (or no) faiths. I am a strong believer in the freedom to
worship any way you choose (in privacy), and an even more firm believer in
the freedom to NOT WORSHIP.

In future correspondence, I would appreciate it if my name was not
indirectly mentioned in vain. I chose it myself, when I was seven.
--
-=> Avi E. Gross @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6241
 suggested paths: [ihnp4, allegra, cbosg, ahuta, ...]!pegasus!avi