[net.religion] CULTS

larryg@teklds.UUCP (Larry Gardner) (01/31/85)

I guess I did not make myself clear in what I was saying in defining
a cult.  The general discussion was regarding Mormons and Mooonies and
Christianity.  Some people were discussing the differences between the
first two and the latter.

The definition of cult that I used is one that is used by christians
to determine "false christians".  Since that is what we were talking
about.

What really matters is the truth, not peoples opinions.

I hope this clears up what I was saying.

karen

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (01/31/85)

> What really matters is the truth, not peoples opinions.
>
> karen

	How can I tell the difference? Will you tell me? How
much do you charge?   Are sure your truth will get me more
for my money than the competing religion down the street?
I'm shopping.
--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

sommers@topaz.ARPA (Liz Sommers) (02/01/85)

The definition of cult that I used is one that is used by christians
to determine "false christians".  Since that is what we were talking
about.

What really matters is the truth, not peoples opinions.

I hope this clears up what I was saying.

karen

Karen, you make me feel proud of being a pagan

liz (alias nobody)

larryg@teklds.UUCP (Larry Gardner) (02/01/85)

A human being does not have the corner on truth.

If God exists, seek Him and His truth.

You wont get any money out of it however.

For money try the Satanic church.

karen

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (02/03/85)

> A human being does not have the corner on truth.
>
> If God exists, seek Him and His truth.
>
> You wont get any money out of it however.
>
> For money try the Satanic church.

	I looked in the phone book under "churches, Satanic" and
I didn't find anything!  The premise that God exists is defined
here as not useful (no money in it--knowledge of "truth" and
.50 will get a cup of coffee).

	This Satanic church sounds like a great deal.  All of the
other churches I have ever been to or heard of want ME to give
THEM money.
--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382    ihnp4!pesnta  -\

barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (02/06/85)

And, of course, Jerry Falwell, Oral Roberts, Jim Bakker and their friends
share a 2 room apartment in Roxbury and eat THE TRUTH for breakfast.

Funny, I haven't seen the "Satanic Church" (wherever it may be...) with
its very own 700 Club, complete with toll free number, and free Satan
posters with each donation of $100.00.

spw2562@ritcv.UUCP (02/07/85)

[ AAAARRRRRGGGGGGG mph   ...   burp ]

> A human being does not have the corner on truth.
> If God exists, seek Him and His truth.
> You wont get any money out of it however.
> For money try the Satanic church.
> karen
This is not entirely true.  I've heard of a Christian businessman - he's the
president of a toothpaste company, I believe - who makes a great deal of money.
He only lives off of 10% of his income.  The rest of it is donated to various
Christian organizations.  And anyways, what is money compared to a soul???

						Steve Wall
						ritvp!spw2562

cs2532aa@unm-cvax.UUCP (02/10/85)

> From: barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry)
>
> Funny, I haven't seen the "Satanic Church" (wherever it may be...) with
> its very own 700 Club, complete with toll free number, and free Satan
> posters with each donation of $100.00.

Yeah, where's old Anton Szandor LaVey when you need him?  (Have to ask The
Boss [no, not Springsteen, no matter what the Bible-Beaters on Channel 11
have to say about him...].)

                .rne.

-----
Real World . . Ernie Longmire / 311 Don St. SE / Los Lunas, NM  87031-9405
UUCP . . . . . {{purdue,cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl,ucbvax}!unmvax!unm-cvax!cs2532aa
GalactiNet . . 1/MkyWy/r9.844-T00.05'24"-S206.28'49"/3/U.S.AT&T/5058655516
Scotch . . . . Dewars
-----
"The lie that is known to be a lie is half eradicated, but the lie that
 even intelligent persons accept as fact--the lie that has been inculcated
 in a little child at its mother's knee--is more dangerous to contend against
 than a creeping pestilence!"
                               _The Book of Satan_, II:14 (A. S. LaVey)