[net.religion] Wingate on different kinds of evil

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Pesmard Flurrmn) (01/29/85)

>      I take Jesus' statement that "You shall know them by their works" in a
> very narrow fashion.  It seems to me that he was talking in terms of
> individuals, not groups.  I therefore feel quite justified in rejecting the
> Inquisitors, and even Martin Luther's antisemetism (but not his good
> theology), without rejecting Christianity.
>      Now I realize that we all have thresholds at which we refuse to tolerate
> an institution which associates itself with too much evil.  My complaint is
> that there seems to be a double-standard here; somehow the evils which
> Christians have from time to time committed are more weighty than when the
> same acts are done by non-religious groups.  There also seems to be a bias
> against the examination of the good that the various institutions have
> brought forth.  It seems to me that any reasonable comparison of, for
> instance, Cambodia under Pol Pot and Medieval Europe is going to eventually
> tilt in favor of the Europeans, given either my standards or those which
> Rich Rosen has stated.
>      I therefore discount any "Your evil cancels out my evil" arguments,
> such as the referenced article would have us agree to.

Sorry, Charlie, the "referenced article" said nothing of the sort.
What it did say was that the evils of non-religious despotism have little to
do with other non-religious movements/ideals.  It's erroneous (and
manipulative) to try to simply lump to the two groups together just because
they are BOTH *not* religion (esp. Christianity).

However, the evils of religion (esp. Christianity) ARE in fact closely tied
with the tenets of the religion itself:  the element of superiority, of
required gospel-spreading to "heathens", of imposing morality on other people.
Those very evils---the pogroms, the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Nazi
anti-Semitism (argue if you will that it was not carried out from a very
"Christian" perspective), and today's Moral (?) Majority (?)---are ROOTED
in the model of so-called Christian thought.  There *are* those Christians who
have shirked such notions and have a much more rational bent on their place
in the world (shared with others) and in a free society.  Unfortunately, the
more vocal, more active, and perhaps even the greater number of Christians
still adhere to the mindset of Christian rightness and superiority.  Listen to
those who proclaim proudly "I cannot share the world with you.  I cannot allow
you to legitimize things I disapprove of.  It's wrong because it's against
the word of god."
--
Now I've lost my train of thought. I'll have to catch the bus of thought.
			Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

In article <409@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Pesmard Flurrmn) writes:

>However, the evils of religion (esp. Christianity) ARE in fact closely tied
>with the tenets of the religion itself:  the element of superiority, of
>required gospel-spreading to "heathens", of imposing morality on other
>people.

Nowhere in the Gospels is it stated that we have an obligation to "impose
morality" on people.

>Those very evils---the pogroms, the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Nazi
>anti-Semitism (argue if you will that it was not carried out from a very
>"Christian" perspective),

My pleasure.  Perhaps you are not aware of Nazism's consistent attempts to
supress Christianity.  Perhaps you have never been to Spielberg Prison in
Brno, Czechoslovakia and seen the Nazi shrine.  But to continue--

>                          and today's Moral (?) Majority (?)---are ROOTED
>in the model of so-called Christian thought.  There *are* those Christians
>who have shirked such notions and have a much more rational bent on their
>place in the world (shared with others) and in a free society.
>Unfortunately, the more vocal, more active, and perhaps even the greater
>number of Christians still adhere to the mindset of Christian rightness and
>superiority.  Listen to those who proclaim proudly "I cannot share the world
>with you.  I cannot allow you to legitimize things I disapprove of.  It's
>wrong because it's against the word of god."

So-called is the right word; while one can certainly point at "christian"
western Europe for examples of this kind intolerance, it is clearly not
consistent with the gospels or even with St. Paul, upon whose shoulders blame
is frequently placed.  The appearance of similar behavior in other places
indicates to me that it is an expression of a basic human tendency; ideology
is the excuse, not the cause.  The continuance of Jewish repression under
the Soviets suggests to me that religion was only a minor factor in the
pogroms, for instance.

I should also point out that the period in which christianity was most
relentlessly rationalistic, the late middle ages, also produced some of the
worst repression and intolerance, and not just toward non-christians, either.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

"It's always winter--"  "and never Christmas!"

In article <409@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen?) writes:

>Sorry, Charlie, the "referenced article" said nothing of the sort.
>What it did say was that the evils of non-religious despotism have little to
>do with other non-religious movements/ideals.  It's erroneous (and
>manipulative) to try to simply lump to the two groups together just because
>they are BOTH *not* religion (esp. Christianity).

	But the evils of such systems *do* have much to do with the
movements/ideals which generated them.  The atrocities of Nazi Germany
followed *directly* from the tenets of Naziism, and so forth.  How
is this any different than what you are claiming for religion?
It is a *human* failing to try and force one's own ideas down other's
throats.

>However, the evils of religion (esp. Christianity) ARE in fact closely tied
>with the tenets of the religion itself:  the element of superiority, of
>required gospel-spreading to "heathens", of imposing morality on other people.
>			Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

	In view of what I said above, this sounds like an erroneous (and
manipulative) point of view, lumping together different groups with
different points of view just because they share the label 'Christian'.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
 or
quad1!psivax!friesen

dbrown@watarts.UUCP (Dave Brown) (02/05/85)

> However, the evils of religion (esp. Christianity) ARE in fact closely tied
> with the tenets of the religion itself:  the element of superiority, of
> required gospel-spreading to "heathens", of imposing morality on other people.
> Those very evils---the pogroms, the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Nazi
> anti-Semitism (argue if you will that it was not carried out from a very
> "Christian" perspective), and today's Moral (?) Majority (?)---are ROOTED
> in the model of so-called Christian thought.  There *are* those Christians who
> have shirked such notions and have a much more rational bent on their place
> in the world (shared with others) and in a free society.  Unfortunately, the
> more vocal, more active, and perhaps even the greater number of Christians
> still adhere to the mindset of Christian rightness and superiority.  Listen to
> those who proclaim proudly "I cannot share the world with you.  I cannot allow
> you to legitimize things I disapprove of.  It's wrong because it's against
> the word of god."
> --
> Now I've lost my train of thought. I'll have to catch the bus of thought.
> 			Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

   AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Why do people keep on misunderstanding the idea behind
evangelism? To know Jesus' Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour
is to also know his love for you. Now, bear with me athiests, but
in knowing God's love, which is beyond our understanding, yet
is so great, one doesn't want to be selfish. So that's why one
attempts to spread it around.
      Look if you love somebody enough, wouldn't you like to tell
them where to get more love.  Now, I know, not all Christians
show the love that Christ showes; but, please although
we will be known to the world by our works, don't throw
all of Christianity out with the Moral Majority(?). Take a look
at the writings of St. Francis of Assisi, for example.Or the work
of World Vision.  Christians are doing good work out their. It's
just that we don't make much noise about it.

                        A concerned evangelical with a social conscious,

                                     DAVE BROWN

dbrown@watarts.UUCP (Dave Brown) (02/05/85)

 Sorry, guys but it's late and who can spell at 11:30.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dinsdale Piranha) (02/05/85)

> 	In view of what I said above, this sounds like an erroneous (and
> manipulative) point of view, lumping together different groups with
> different points of view just because they share the label 'Christian'.
> 				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

They share more than a "label".  When part of the belief system itself
GLORIFIES the rightness of the believers and their RIGHT to "correct"
the behavior of others around them, that's more than just sharing a
label.  And that's my point.
--
When you're omniscient, everything's a tautology.      Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dinsdale Piranha) (02/07/85)

> Nowhere in the Gospels is it stated that we have an obligation to "impose
> morality" on people.  [WINGATE]

Then why are you doing it?  And why do you see justification in doing it?

> The continuance of Jewish repression under the Soviets suggests to me that
> religion was only a minor factor in the pogroms, for instance.

Perhaps because of what someone else said in a previous article:  communism
and religion (in general) cannot co-exist, because they both have the same
goals---complete control of mind and body.  As I've said before, modern
despotism is simply religious autocracy with a brand new cast.  New "priests",
new "parishes", new inquisitors.

> I should also point out that the period in which christianity was most
> relentlessly rationalistic, the late middle ages, also produced some of the
> worst repression and intolerance, and not just toward non-christians, either.

Then it was hardly "rationalistic", despite your simple assertion that it was.
On what basis do you make such a contradictory assertion?
--
Otology recapitulates phonology.
					Rich Rosen    {ihnp4|harpo}!pyuxd!rlr

In article <463@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:

>> 	In view of what I said above, this sounds like an erroneous (and
>> manipulative) point of view, lumping together different groups with
>> different points of view just because they share the label 'Christian'.
>> 				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

>They share more than a "label".  When part of the belief system itself
>GLORIFIES the rightness of the believers and their RIGHT to "correct"
>the behavior of others around them, that's more than just sharing a
>label.  And that's my point.

Rich, if you think that every sect and denomination of christianity believes
in a right to force everyone into line with their particular morality, then
you either don't what you're talking about or you don't care.  Quote me some
NT scripture to justify your point.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (02/17/85)

> In article <463@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
>
>>They share more than a "label".  When part of the belief system itself
>>GLORIFIES the rightness of the believers and their RIGHT to "correct"
>>the behavior of others around them, that's more than just sharing a
>>label.  And that's my point.
>
>Rich, if you think that every sect and denomination of christianity believes
>in a right to force everyone into line with their particular morality, then
>you either don't what you're talking about or you don't care.  Quote me some
>NT scripture to justify your point.
>
>Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

Yes, Charles, virtually all Christian sects DO believe that.  The only
exceptions are those churches that believe in universal salvation.  I would
expect you, a Christian, to be aware of the doctrine in the Gospels that God
has the right to force everyone to follow his particular opinion on morals,
and even to torture those who refuse.  Virtually all Christian churches
believe in this right.

When it comes down to the rights of HUMANS to do this, nothing in the New
Testament comments either way.  At all.  Can you cite any scripture which
shows clearly that people do NOT have the right to impose Christian morality
on unbelievers?  Since the Old Testament is crammed full of "good" people
serving God by killing and persecuting unbelievers, and the New Testament
contains no scriptures that contradict this, and Christians don't have the
moderating rabbinical interpretations of the OT, then, yes, it is safe to
say that imposing your beliefs on others is a inherent part of Christianity.
Allow me to point out that until this century (that's nineteen centuries if
you're counting) almost all Christian countries had laws against
non-Christians holding public office; Christian sexual morality was written
into law; particularly deviant heretics were put in jail or executed by
Catholics and Protestants alike; and so on.  Christianity is and always has
been a religion that practices the harrassment of unbelievers; and if you
disagree with these historical facts, it is you who are ignorant or
uncaring, not Rich.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.