[net.religion] Dat GOD, he sure am a funny guy!

arndt@lymph.DEC (02/12/85)

I couldn't say it any better myself, so that's why I'll quote him Rich, so
listen to that famous TV bible preacher Robert Jastrow:

"For the scientist who has lived by his faith (his word) in the power of
reason, the story ends like a bad dream.  He has scaled the mountains of
ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself
over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been
sitting there for centuries."

                 GOD AND THE ASTRONOMERS, (NY:WW Norton,1978)p116.

He is talking, of course, about the search for the origin of the universe
and our current understanding in the 'Big Bang' theory.

It seems that as we peep through the keyhole we suddenly see GOD's eye
looking back at us (and I think I hear the sound of laughter).

Always like to share a good joke.

Keep chargin'

Ken Arndt

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (02/12/85)

In article <539@decwrl.UUCP> arndt@lymph.DEC writes:
> "For the scientist who has lived by his faith (his word) in the power of
> reason, the story ends like a bad dream.  He has scaled the mountains of
> ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself
> over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been
> sitting there for centuries."
>                  GOD AND THE ASTRONOMERS, (NY:WW Norton,1978)p116.
> He is talking, of course, about the search for the origin of the universe
> and our current understanding in the 'Big Bang' theory.

Isaac Asimov wrote a scathing and telling critique of that paragraph,
which was reprinted in Skeptical Enquirer magazine a few years back.
Why not check that out and report to us, Ken?  Or do you just like pulling
our tails?  :-)

(For your convenience, one of the arguments Asimov makes is that there are
rather few theories possible for how the universe came to exist: all at
once, or always existing, etc.  And there are several religions using
each theory.  So, no matter what theory is prevalent, some religion can claim
confirmation of its doctrines.  Another argument is that genesis corresponds
poorly to astronomical theories, according to most creationists.)
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (02/13/85)

> He is talking, of course, about the search for the origin of the universe
> and our current understanding in the 'Big Bang' theory.
>
> It seems that as we peep through the keyhole we suddenly see GOD's eye
> looking back at us (and I think I hear the sound of laughter).
>
> Always like to share a good joke.
>
> Keep chargin'
>
> Ken Arndt

I went to college with David Penzias, son of Arno Penzias, nobel
prize winner, who supposedly proved that the big bang happened by
measuring the correct level of background radiation with a radio
telescope. ( Go ahead flame me, I never was much of an astronomer,
thats the way I remember it)

Dave got his dad to come down to school and give a guest lecture
about the subject to a bunch of us. I don't remember his exact
words but he claimed that the whole thing constituted proof of
the existence of a God.

Keep chargin'

Mike Parker

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (02/13/85)

> I couldn't say it any better myself, so that's why I'll quote him Rich, so
> listen to that famous TV bible preacher Robert Jastrow:
>
> "For the scientist who has lived by his faith (his word) in the power of
> reason, the story ends like a bad dream.  He has scaled the mountains of
> ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself
> over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been
> sitting there for centuries."
>                  GOD AND THE ASTRONOMERS, (NY:WW Norton,1978)p116.

Calling across the abyss from a nearby man-made mountain, Ken?  If this
doesn't reek of presumption I don't know what does.  We'll know only when
we get there who (if anyone) is waiting to greet us there, and who else (if
anyone) might be waiting in the wrong place to greet us.  ("What's keeping
those damned scientists?  You'd think they'd have gotten here to the
obviously correct place where *I'm* sitting by now...")

> He is talking, of course, about the search for the origin of the universe
> and our current understanding in the 'Big Bang' theory.
> It seems that as we peep through the keyhole we suddenly see GOD's eye
> looking back at us (and I think I hear the sound of laughter).

Given your incredible presumptions (Who's seen god's eye?  Where?  In the
mirror?), I'm not surprised that you hear people laughing...
--
"I don't understand.  Is it modern?"		Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (02/14/85)

> I went to college with David Penzias, son of Arno Penzias, nobel
> prize winner, who supposedly proved that the big bang happened by
> measuring the correct level of background radiation with a radio
> telescope. ( Go ahead flame me, I never was much of an astronomer,
> thats the way I remember it)
>
> Dave got his dad to come down to school and give a guest lecture
> about the subject to a bunch of us. I don't remember his exact
> words but he claimed that the whole thing constituted proof of
> the existence of a God.

Proof of existence which god? Undoubtly, Zeus! No, I think it
is Obizmo!
--

Yosi Hoshen, Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Illinois, (312)-979-7321, Mail: ihnp4!ihuxn!jho

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (02/14/85)

> Dave got his dad to come down to school and give a guest lecture
> about the subject to a bunch of us. I don't remember his exact
> words but he claimed that the whole thing constituted proof of
> the existence of a God.
>
> Keep chargin'
>
> Mike Parker

*** REPLACE THIS LINE *** (please)

Thank you for settling the issue.  Your piercing, insightful comments have
laid to rest my doubts.

"Don't argue with a fool.      Ethan Vishniac
 Borrow his money."            {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan
                               Department of Astronomy
                               University of Texas
                               Austin, Texas 78712

larry@cci-bdc.UUCP (Larry DeLuca) (02/15/85)

 > I couldn't say it any better myself, so that's why I'll quote him Rich, so
 > listen to that famous TV bible preacher Robert Jastrow:
 >
 > "For the scientist who has lived by his faith (his word) in the power of
 > reason, the story ends like a bad dream.  He has scaled the mountains of
 > ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself
 > over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been
 > sitting there for centuries."
 >                  GOD AND THE ASTRONOMERS, (NY:WW Norton,1978)p116.

Barf me OUT!!!

 > He is talking, of course, about the search for the origin of the universe
 > and our current understanding in the 'Big Bang' theory.
 > It seems that as we peep through the keyhole we suddenly see GOD's eye
 > looking back at us (and I think I hear the sound of laughter).

if i saw god's eye staring through the keyhole i'd be embarrassed that
i was caught spying on him in the bathroom.

					larry...

--
uucp:  ..mit-eddie!cybvax0!cci-bdc!larry

arpa:  henrik@mit-mc.ARPA

This mind intentionally left blank.

david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) (02/20/85)

In Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the proof goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove I exist", says God, "for proof denies faith and without
faith, I am nothing."

"But", says Man, "the Babelfish is a dead give-away.  Surely something so
mind-bogglingly useful as that couldn't evolve by chance.  Therefore, you
exist."

"Oh.", says God, "I hadn't thought of that." and promptly vanishes in a
puff of logic.

Pleased with himself, Man goes on to prove that Black is White and gets
killed at the next zebra crossing.

(In Britain, where the Guide originated, a zebra crossing is a pedestrian
crosswalk.)

{generic disclaimer} {N.F.Q.}