[net.religion] Mormons are not Christians.

scott@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Scott Deerwester) (01/30/85)

This is a clarification of my earlier book recommendation
followed by a short flame.

"The Mormon Papers", by H. Ropp, published by IVP.

This book is divided into three major sections:

	- Are Mormons Christians?
	- Are the Mormon scriptures reliable?
	- What are the barriers to Mormons becoming Christians?

The first section of the book discusses and contrasts Mormon
and Christian beliefs on various subjects.  A few examples:

Mormons believe that God was once a man, but did enough good
works to earn becoming a god.  Further, they believe that any
good Mormon male may one day become a god, too.  They also
believe that God has a physical body just like anybody else.

Christians believe in one God in three Persons; the Father,
the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and that there is no god other
than the one God.

Mormons believe that salvation is earned by the things that
you do (salvation by works).

Christians believe that salvation is a free gift and was
accomplished once and for all by Jesus' death on the cross.
The works are a result of faith.  (If you don't understand what
I just wrote, at least recognize that it's not the same thing
at what Mormons believe).

Mormons believe that only Mormons are 'true Christians', and that
*everybody* else is apostate (look it up).

Christians of many different backgrounds accept the basic validity
of each other's faith and doctrine.

----
The point is, that Mr. Ropp does a good job of pointing out
the differences between the two faiths.  Mormons aren't Christians
because the things that they believe are fundamentally different
and incompatible with many things that *every* major (and most
minor, for that matter) Christian denomination accepts and
believes.  The book is written like any other piece of scholarly
research.  When he quotes something, he tells you where from.

Now for a short flame.

WHY, WHY, WHY, when I post a nicely worded book recommendation,
do I get called a looney, hypocrite, bigot, etc.???? Huh???
There are probably a lot of very nice Mormons and they may
well have a very nice religion.  But it's not a Christian religion.
Did I jump up and down on Mormons?  No.  Did I get jumped up and
down on?  You betcha.  NOW I remember why I never used to like
posting things.  It's because all the normal rules of showing
respect to the person you're talking to don't apply on the net.

Note to the person who wondered if I could find Regenstein
(the campus graduate library):

Given that I'm an Asst. Professor in the Graduate
Library School, and that this note was written from
my office in Regenstein, I don't imagine that I'll
have a lot of trouble.

	S * I * G * H ......

	Scott Deerwester
	University of Chicago
	Graduate Library School

geb@cadre.UUCP (01/31/85)

Apologies to all those bored of this discussion.  I had intended
to stop, but couldn't pass this one up:

In article <319@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> scott@gargoyle.UUCP writes:

>Mormons believe that God was once a man, but did enough good
>works to earn becoming a god.  Further, they believe that any
>good Mormon male may one day become a god, too.  They also
>believe that God has a physical body just like anybody else.

Correct, except that they also believe females become gods too.

>Christians believe in one God in three Persons; the Father,
>the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and that there is no god other
>than the one God.

SOME Christians believe in such a God, others don't.  You don't
have the right to decide who is and isn't a Christian.  Maybe
you should have said "orthodox Christians".

>Mormons believe that salvation is earned by the things that
>you do (salvation by works).

Almost correct, Mormons believe that salvation is a result of
adherence to certain moral principles.  Earned isn't the right word.

>Mormons believe that only Mormons are 'true Christians', and that
>*everybody* else is apostate (look it up).

Yes, there are lot of Mormons just as narrow-minded as you appear
to be (oh, excuse me, I flamed).  Their official policy, I believe
has been not to make attacks on other religions, and confine their
proselyting activities to presenting their positive features, which
I consider a more respectable practice.

>WHY, WHY, WHY, when I post a nicely worded book recommendation,
>do I get called a looney, hypocrite, bigot, etc.???? Huh???

I didn't call you a loony, I was referring to the authors of
the "cult" books.  I didn't
use the word bigot or hypocrite, but I do think those shoes
also fit the books you mentioned very well.  In another posting
I explained why I think this sort of thing is contemptible.

>NOW I remember why I never used to like
>posting things.  It's because all the normal rules of showing
>respect to the person you're talking to don't apply on the net.

Well, tact is not one of my faults.  I think that if someone
makes a racial or religious attack they are fair game for
verbal reprisal.  Those who know me personally will affirm that if
you had made the statements you made orally in my presence you would have
found yourself verbally set upon.  Hey, this is net.flame.
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

>Note to the person who wondered if I could find Regenstein
>(the campus graduate library):
>
>Given that I'm an Asst. Professor in the Graduate
>Library School, and that this note was written from
>my office in Regenstein, I don't imagine that I'll
>have a lot of trouble.

That was sarcasm, and it looks like it went over your head!
The point was, here you sat surrounded by one of the best
scholarly collections on Mormons in the country and where do
you go to find out about them---a "Christian" book store.
There is a reason that books of that ilk are only found in
special bookstores---they aren't considered reputable by
most scholars.  I am sorry if I personally hurt you.  But
I feel your arguments are unjustified and, yes, a little bigoted.

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (02/02/85)

In article <319@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> scott@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Scott Deerwester) writes:
>"The Mormon Papers", by H. Ropp, published by IVP.
>
>Mormons believe that salvation is earned by the things that
>you do (salvation by works).
>
>Christians believe that salvation is a free gift and was
>accomplished once and for all by Jesus' death on the cross.
>The works are a result of faith.  (If you don't understand what
>I just wrote, at least recognize that it's not the same thing
>at what Mormons believe).

This is hardly correct.  Historically there have been great differences
of opinion among various Christian beliefs as to whether good works were
necessary or sufficient for salvation.  Catholicism, for example, has
made people saints for their good works alone, because their works made
them holy.  And to accept Jesus as faith is not sufficient; one must
confess ones sins, do proper penance for them (these sometimes also take
to form of good works), and generally act in a Christian fashion.  The
question of "good works" is not settled in the universal fashion H. Ropp
indicates; there is a complete range of belief.

If H. Ropp can't even get his description of Christianity right, why should
I care about his analysis "showing" Mormons aren't Christian?

>Mormons believe that only Mormons are 'true Christians', and that
>*everybody* else is apostate (look it up).
>
>Christians of many different backgrounds accept the basic validity
>of each other's faith and doctrine.

Yeah?  Christians may accept "each other's faith and doctrine", but first
they have to exclude people they think aren't Christian, and then this
becomes a tautology: I accept as Christian the beliefs of people I accept
as Christian.
--

		Ken Arnold
Of COURSE we can implement your algorithm.  We've got this Turing

dbrown@watarts.UUCP (Dave Brown) (02/05/85)

   For the record, Mormon's believe everyone will make it to heaven.
Indeed, there is no hell. But, my friends, there are three sections
to the afterlife. These sections will be reached only after the second coming of
Christ, at which time the judgement will take place. Up until that time. we
all will have been in a type of limbo, segregated into the believers,
i.e. Mormons, and the unbelievers, who can reach the side of the
believers through baptism of the dead. After the judgment, one's "hell",
will be in knowing that one could have been closer to God.
   The quest then for Mormon's is not to receive salvation,
but to get closer to God through works.  Herein lies my quarrel with
Mormon's being called Christian, which means a follower of Christ.
You see, Jesus said, "No one comes to the father, except through me."
To me, that precludes a graduated system of closeness to God.
Again, one can quote scripture verses all day, but, in the end,
faith is the thing I rely upon.

wmk@ptsfa.UUCP (Bill Klein) (02/06/85)

In article <319@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> you write:

>Christians believe in one God in three Persons; the Father,
>the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and that there is no god other
>than the one God.

This is an excellent definition of "Trinitarians" not of Christians.
For much of the history of Christianity, the nature of the Trinity
has been debated. Most, but not all Christian denominations believe
in it. On the other hand to say that the definition of a Christian
denomination is one that believes in the Trinity only says you are
really defining Trinitarian denominations.

>Christians believe that salvation is a free gift and was
>accomplished once and for all by Jesus' death on the cross.
>The works are a result of faith.  (If you don't understand what
>I just wrote, at least recognize that it's not the same thing
>at what Mormons believe).

Have you ever read anything about the Reformation? I believe the number
of current Christian denominations that accept at least the VALUE of
good works if not the requirements for good works probably equals
the number who do not.

>Mormons believe that only Mormons are 'true Christians', and that
>*everybody* else is apostate (look it up).
>
>Christians of many different backgrounds accept the basic validity
>of each other's faith and doctrine.

To the best of my knowledge the Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist
Presbyterian and a variety of other "churches" ALL state in their
official doctrine that they are the ONE TRUE CHURCH. (They either
excommunicate or damn each other.) I appreciate that many are moving
toward reconciliation but what are they move from?

In conclusion, I have not studied the Mormon doctrine well enough to
know if I would "label" them as Christian. However, I believe there
are only two valid questions:
 1. Do they label themselves as Christian?
 2. Does God label them as Christian?

I don't personally have the answer to either question!

Bill Klein          (...!ucbvax!dual!ptsfa!wmk)
 Pacific Bell

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (02/07/85)

In article <432@ucsfcgl.UUCP> arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold) writes:
>Quoting article <319@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> (Scott Deerwester):
>>"The Mormon Papers", by H. Ropp, published by IVP.
>>
>>Mormons believe that salvation is earned by the things that
>>you do (salvation by works).
>>
>>Christians believe that salvation is a free gift and was
>>accomplished once and for all by Jesus' death on the cross.
>>The works are a result of faith.  (If you don't understand what
>>I just wrote, at least recognize that it's not the same thing
>>at what Mormons believe).
>
>This is hardly correct.  Historically there have been great differences
>of opinion among various Christian beliefs as to whether good works were
>necessary or sufficient for salvation.  Catholicism, for example, has
>made people saints for their good works alone, because their works made
>them holy.  And to accept Jesus as faith is not sufficient; one must
>confess ones sins, do proper penance for them (these sometimes also take
>to form of good works), and generally act in a Christian fashion.  The
>question of "good works" is not settled in the universal fashion H. Ropp
>indicates; there is a complete range of belief.

Uhhhhhhh.... While I agree that there have been differences of belief, and
that doctrines of Trinity, f'rinstance, have been points of dissension,
I have to point out here that when major deviations from the teachings about
salvation and justification occur, they usually occur because of ignorance
of the New Testament writings, or because of revisionism (Gee, I don't like
this particular bit of theology, so I will claim that Paul, or Peter, or John,
was actually lying/misinterpreted here, and...)

I am not a Catholic nor do I claim to be a Catholic theologian.  However,
from my Hist Christianity class, I recall the description of what the rules
for canonization were, as established by one of the Vatican councils (number 2,
I think) and these were   a) the saint is a very historical one, even though
there may be no real proof that there WAS such a person,   b) a martyr for
the faith, regardless of good works,   c) a person who was a member of the
church, who demonstrated through their life of good works that they had
faith, and after whose death, it could be shown that there were at least
three documented miracles attributable to the intercession of that saint.

That is, I believe, THE set of requirements.  Bernard of Clairveaux was
decanonized because his membership in the church was rendered doubtful.
Christopher was decanonized because there was not enough evidence about
his "miracles" to fit documentation requirements.

For SALVATION, in fact, even in the Catholic church, which during the Dark
Ages developed some ODD traditions due to the ignorance of most of the
priests, FAITH IN JESUS AS SAVIOR is sufficient for salvation.  However,
there MAY be purgatory to serve for unconfessed or unrepented sins.

Works are EXPECTED, as a sign that a person has faith, but they DO teach
(according to my discussions with practicing Catholics) that they are not
of themselves sufficient for salvation, and that good works without faith
ought to shame those who have faith but do not engage in good works.

The doctrine of purgatory is not biblical in origin, and has been questioned
by a number of Catholic scholars.

>Yeah?  Christians may accept "each other's faith and doctrine", but first
>they have to exclude people they think aren't Christian, and then this
>becomes a tautology: I accept as Christian the beliefs of people I accept
>as Christian.
>--
>
>		Ken Arnold

No tautology.  We have a written handbook from which we derive our doctrine,
as you have complained before.  Since we can constantly perform checksums
against that handbook, we can tell if what is held by one person is the
same or significantly dissimilar to what is held by another.  Sure, we go
eventually to the point of accepting what someone taught us, and we can look
to see that what they taught corresponds to what we KNOW was taught by the
founder of our religion.  We can say that the Mormons do not seem to teach
the same faith because we can examine their teachings against the documented
teachings of our faith.  We can determine that they have several hundred
points of deviation from our teaching.  We can therefore say that they
do not teach Christian doctrine, AND THEY MAKE THE SAME DISTINCTION.

The Mormon church is called
	"The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints"

This indicates that THEY hold a schism to have occurred.  They claim that
they have the original, REAL word of God, and that the rest of us are
mistaken and have false doctrines taught by Paul and others introduced later
by the council at Nicea.  We claim that they have (at best) not-too-clever
imitations of scripture, given to them by a pair of con men.

The fundamental question of "are Mormons saved by their faith in Jesus"
is not really one I can answer;  I am not Jesus and I do not presume to
speak for Him in this case.  I HOPE they are saved.  I still think that
most of their doctrines are false.

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (02/09/85)

>> = me
> = Stephen Hutchison

>Uhhhhhhh.... While I agree that there have been differences of belief, and
>that doctrines of Trinity, f'rinstance, have been points of dissension,
>I have to point out here that when major deviations from the teachings about
>salvation and justification occur, they usually occur because of ignorance
>of the New Testament writings, or because of revisionism (Gee, I don't like
>this particular bit of theology, so I will claim that Paul, or Peter, or John,
>was actually lying/misinterpreted here, and...)
>
>   [ Some corrections to my example of "good works" vis-a-vis Catholic
>     sainthood ]

The first paragraph claims that the problem has been "ignorance" and
"revisionism".  I will not be the first person to point out that the
recorded statments of Jesus and the apostles are subject to wide
interpretation, even if they are read in the original Greek.  One
preson's "revisionism" is another person's truth.  For example, the
discussion going on about whether premarital sex is proscripted, or as
strongly proscripted as adultery, shows that there can be several
linguistically valid interpretations of the same phrase.  The concept
of Trinity is not Biblical.  It was added to Catholicism later, was the
cause of a great schism within the early church.  Another great
unsolvable is whether God and Jesus are one, or whether Jesus, being
the Son, was created later and is the servant of the Father.  There is
NO clear cut discussion of these important theological points in the
Bible.  So who is right depends not on a judgement of "ignorance" or
"revisionism", but on discussion and argument and personal belief.

I, also, am not Catholic, so I am quite willing to believe that I
made some subtle but theologically crucial point.  Any corrections are
appreciated.
--

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (02/11/85)

In article <8229@watarts.UUCP> dbrown@watarts.UUCP (Dave Brown) writes:

>   For the record, Mormon's believe everyone will make it to heaven.
>Indeed, there is no hell. But, my friends, there are three sections
>to the afterlife.

Almost right.  There's also a possibility for hard-core types to get
expelled into the outer darkness, where there is wailing and gnashing
of teeth.  My understanding is that it takes a heinous crime such as
becoming an Elder and then becoming an apostate and denying the truth
of the religion ... perhaps some current LDS member could describe other
ways of making it?
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

slack@wxlvax.UUCP (Tom Slack) (02/14/85)

> Works are EXPECTED, as a sign that a person has faith, but they DO teach
> (according to my discussions with practicing Catholics) that they are not
> of themselves sufficient for salvation, and that good works without faith
> ought to shame those who have faith but do not engage in good works.

I would like to correct a slight implication made in the above paragraph.
Mormons also believe and teach that goods works of themselves are NOT
sufficient for salvation.
The difference in the Morman view and that of the above (I forgot who)
author is found in the last line.
Mormans would say that "those who have faith but do not engage in good works"
do not exist as that is inconsistant with the definition of faith
(Sometimes I think that the differences are all semantics).

Another point for those who would say that Mormans are not Christian.
Mormans also believe that if it were not for Christ and His Atonement,
the combined faith and works of man would not be sufficient for salvation.
I find it interesting that some Christians
(I assume that they are because they say so and their
respective churches do not chastise them for so saying)
consider Mormans as fundamentally different from them,
but accept as similar other "Christian" sects and ministers who question
the divinity of Christ.
I have read bible comentaries by ministers of Christian faith
(main line and fringe groups) which call into question such things as:

1) Christ was (and is) the Son of God.
2) Christ was Ressurected and lives today.
3) We receive our Eternal Opportunities because of Christ.
4) We should strive to emulate Him and His teachings.

All of these things are Morman doctrine.
I might personally feel like saying that people who do not believe
these things are not Christian,
however, I refrain myself in order to remain polite.
Tom Slack :-)

BTW Paul is considered an apostle by Mormans it is the later (Post Biblical)
church that is called into question by them.

jfs@ih1ap.UUCP (Jesse Fred Shumway) (02/16/85)

> Again, one can quote scripture verses all day, but, in the end,
> faith is the thing I rely upon.

Pahleeeeezz Dave. Don't insult may intelligence and I'll sit on my
hands so as not to insult your faith!

	Jesse Shumway

stout@uiucdcsb.UUCP (02/18/85)

>>   For the record, Mormon's believe everyone will make it to heaven.
>>Indeed, there is no hell. But, my friends, there are three sections
>>to the afterlife.

>Almost right.  There's also a possibility for hard-core types to get
>expelled into the outer darkness, where there is wailing and gnashing
>of teeth.  My understanding is that it takes a heinous crime such as
>becoming an Elder and then becoming an apostate and denying the truth
>of the religion ... perhaps some current LDS member could describe other
>ways of making it?
>	Jim Gillogly

	Almost right.  Here is the most pertinent quote (Teachings of the
Prophet Joseph Smith, p.358):  "What must a man do to commit the unpardonable
sin?  He must receive the Holy Ghost, have the heavens opened unto him, and
know God, and then sin against Him.  After a man has sinned against the Holy
Ghost, there is no repentence for him.  He has got to say that the sun does
not shine while he sees it; he has got to deny Jesus Christ when the heavens
have been opened unto him, and to deny the plan of salvation with his eyes
open to the truth of it; and from that time he begins to be an enemy.  This
is the case with many apostates of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints."
	Instead of thinking that anyone who leaves and denies the church has
committed the unpardonable sin, most Mormons tend to think that this is a
rare occurrence, reasoning that very few have had the depth of knowledge--
"the heavens opened unto them," etc.--to be capable of that great a sin.  Most
LDS members I know hesitate to accuse anyone of being a "son of perdition,"
however bitter he is.
	Those interested in the LDS concept of the afterlife should read
section 76 of the Doctrine and Covenants as the prime source.
		Bryan Stout
		ihnp4!uiucdcs!stout

sm@cadre.UUCP (02/23/85)

In article <469@ptsfa.UUCP> wmk@ptsfa.UUCP (Bill Klein) writes:
>To the best of my knowledge the Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist
>Presbyterian and a variety of other "churches" ALL state in their
>official doctrine that they are the ONE TRUE CHURCH. (They either
>excommunicate or damn each other.)

No, no, no, no, no! Why do people keep printing this without substantiation?

Sean McLinden