[net.religion] Getting Personal about God

merrill@rex.DEC (02/22/85)

> Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
> ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
> CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

Tim, your quotes and your logic sound good to me; but it makes me wonder
if your feelings are being replaced by connections with computers?  How
would you feel if you Lost your login? became deaf? CompuServe thought
you were a deadbeat? ARPA tossed you off?  Probably the way I'd feel if
I thought God stopped answering prayers.

> Aargh!  I cannot possibly express how frustrated I get when I see people
> spouting nonsense that I had already seen through at age 12.

Your frustration is understandable, but why DO you feel so angry about it?
Does it feel better to be so condesending?

>In article <642@decwrl.UUCP> merrill@rex.DEC writes:
>> What if there were a Large Monolith discovered on one of the outer planets
>> that had engraved on it in 2000 earth languages "Greetings from God", would
>> that make it easier for you to believe in Him?  Would that make it too easy?
>
>I would wonder who was the practical joker.  Perhaps some alien?

Therefore it is logical that ANY "objective evidence" could be dismissed by
YOU as a practical joke.  Some of the people in Moses day must have
thought his miracles were some hacker's pranks.

>Right there in the Bible are numerous purportedly undeniable miracles.
>Such as the opening of the Red Sea, etc.  Such as the stopping of the sun.
>Why should I insist on anything less?

When was the last time you ASKED Him for something "vital"?

>> If you could choose HOW God would reveal himself to you personally,[...]
> If that happens to me, then I'll believe.  No sweat. [...]
> I don't see that I could distinguish Satan from God from any other
> sufficiently manipulative being.
> Mike Huybensz

Would you sincerely like people to pray for you, Mike?

Rick Merrill

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (02/25/85)

In article <682@decwrl.UUCP> merrill@rex.DEC writes:
> Therefore it is logical that ANY "objective evidence" could be dismissed by
> YOU as a practical joke.  Some of the people in Moses day must have
> thought his miracles were some hacker's pranks.

The point is not the motivation of the being that produces the "evidence".
The point is how likely that being is to affect my welfare, and how I
can achieve the best outcome for myself by serving, toadying, ignoring,
or avoiding that being.  Without sufficient evidence as to the source of
the evidence, how can I distinguish which is the best strategy?

> >Right there in the Bible are numerous purportedly undeniable miracles.
> >Such as the opening of the Red Sea, etc.  Such as the stopping of the sun.
> >Why should I insist on anything less?
>
> When was the last time you ASKED Him for something "vital"?

If evidence of god isn't vital what is?  I asked frequently when I was a
believer (until about age 16.)  It's hard to ask, now that I consider it a
myth.

> >> If you could choose HOW God would reveal himself to you personally,[...]
> > If that happens to me, then I'll believe.  No sweat. [...]
> > I don't see that I could distinguish Satan from God from any other
> > sufficiently manipulative being.
>
> Would you sincerely like people to pray for you, Mike?

Is this a non-sequiteur?  You may do anything you like.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh