[net.religion] Response to Laura on appropriateness of newsgroups

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (02/20/85)

> From my perspective, what happens is *this* --
> you post a followup to some article. In it you slam certain exoteric
> beliefs, practices, or (sometimes) believers. There are a lot of
> Christians out there. They don't like having their beliefs slammed. They
> send a reply. You followup that reply...and so on, and so on, and so on...
> [LAURA CREIGHTON]

When my beliefs get "slammed", unjustifiably, I counter with an offering of
the reasons why the argument slamming my beliefs was flawed (if I can
formulate such an offering).  When *I* write an article "slamming" beliefs, I
try to ensure that I have backed up what I have said with evidence.  The
reasoning, Rich."  or "You haven't taken *this* into account." (Exceptions have
occurred when the "this" in the previous sentence is something that the group
as a whole has already addressed and found flaws with.)  Rather, the responses
are of the form "HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY BELIEFS?  WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE,
SHOWING FLAWS IN A BELIEF SYSTEM HELD BY MILLIONS OF PEOPLE FOR THOUSANDS OF
YEARS?  YOU MUST BE AN ASSHOLE!"  If responses like *that* wouldn't get you
irate, and prompt you to get a little annoyed, frustrated, and perhaps nasty,
well, ...   (Another RULE #1 I've learned to live with:  When you show people a
flaw in their logic, they have every right to punch you in the face.  Or so it
seems on the net...)

> I think that this is a problem. There seem to be people who think that
> arguing sides of the Christianity/Humanist debate (flame?) is a lot of
> fun. You claim to be enjoying it.

*Enjoying* it?  When did I claim that?  I found some aspects of it very
*interesting*, like the short-lived (why?) absolute good/evil discussion.
I've found that interacting with people of opposing points of view on a
rational basis helps improve understanding on both sides.  I've grown to
understand to some extent where the concerns of people with opposite
viewpoints lie, and I would hope that the same holds true for them regarding
my concerns.  What's more, taking the time to discuss these things has better
helped me to understand clearly (and hopefully to state clearly) my point of
view.  If you don't believe this, read article <509@pyuxd.UUCP> on "Logic
based on different sets of assumptions".  It codifies the concepts I've been
trying to put forth in this group since day one (or two), to me, better and
more clearly than anything I've written before.  Is that why no one has
offered any response to it?  Because only my vindictive (because of what?)
articles get responded to, providing an opportunity for people to say "See?
Rosen is an asshole."???

> The problem is that there are 2 groups of people that I know about who are
> not enjoying it. The first group are the Christians who want a nice forum to
> discuss Christianity with the implicit assumption that Christianity is true.

Anybody who thinks that they can control and determine what gets said (and by
whom) in a particular newsgroup is in for a surprise.  Look at net.singles!
How many people who contribute are actually single?  How many of the articles
contain anything related to "being single"?  Face it, net.singles is the REAL
net.social (AND net.love/sex AND net.personal_affairs), with "net.social"
practically starving by comparison.  People choose the newsgroup(s) in which
they post their articles based on whom they want to address, whom they wish to
read the articles, which audience the article is intended for.  If I have a
question to ask of people who own Volkswagens, I'm going to ask it in
net.auto.vw (if such a thing still exists).  If it doesn't, I'll post it to
net.auto proper.  If I have a question to ask of religious believers, that's
what net.religion WAS for.  If I have a point to make and a further question to
ask on something Jeff Sargent (or Sragnet, as I noticed that I've been spelling
it) has said in net.religion.christian, I'm liable to follow it up in that same
newsgroup.  Whether Steve Hutchison calls it impolite or not...

> The second group is comprised of people who think that both sides of
> the argument are seriously flawed. This includes the believers of
> primarily esoteric religious practice, but may not be confined to them.
> I am in this category, and so is Tim Maroney ...

If you consider both sides to be seriously flawed, you're just as welcome to
respond to the same article I referred to above (and others).  Though the
thrust of my articles is often directed at problems with what you call
exoteric religions and their "implementation", many of my points apply to
esoteric religions as well.

> It has been my experience that it is possible to have long mail discussions
> with Christians such as Gary Samuelson without having an argument/debate.

To a degree, it's been mine as well.

> It has also been my experience that it is impossible to do this in
> net.religion. I used to believe that this was because posters to
> net.religion were in part interested in grandstanding on their soapbox
> for the amusement of their friends and fellow believers/unbelievers.
> Now, however, I think that this is not the case. I think that the problem is
> that net.religion is viewed as a battleground. Nobody shows up there
> unless they are gunning for bear, since they expect to get an argument
> fought tooth and nail. This means that otherwise calm and reasoned people
> resort to unreasoned ad hominem attacks and flaming (all's fair in love,
> war, and net.religion) and people who will not resort to these tactics
> either never post or stop posting.

I think that the problem is that RELIGION, not NET.religion, is viewed as a
battleground.  Some trying to persuade others of their rightness, others
resenting the efforts, still others seeking to persuade by stronger means,
still more others resisting that.  Yes, even the gentle little footprints
article had swipes taken at it.  And maybe that's the point.  People who want
to air their beliefs in a public forum but don't want to hear contrary points
of view in that same forum are living in a dream world.  And if they wish to
control what other people have to say, well, Gary Samuelson knows the word
that describes that.  As Charlie Wingate had already mentioned, there is a
*private* forum, a mailing list, for private discussions amongst Christians.
But net.religion.christian is a *public* forum.  Like net.women.only turned out
to be.  (That's one of the reasons there's a feminist mailing list as well.)

> I would like to try to do something about this. Since you tend to provoke
> (maintain?) such arguments, moving you is a simple way to test the theory
> that it is the presence of arguments which continues the arguments. The
> theory may be wrong, but if it *isn't* it would be nice to do something.

I wasn't "put" on earth to be the subject of your scientific experiments,
Laura, and I resent being the "guinea pig" to formulate some sort of netnews
litmus test.  *I* wasn't the one who replied to the Footprints poem.  The
series of articles countering each other that followed it (no less abrasive
than my own) had nothing to do with my participation in either newsgroup.
I'm not the only one who responds to articles in either newsgroup, "impolitely"
(as Hutch would call it) or otherwise.
--
Otology recapitulates phonology.
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

[Laura Creighton]

>> The problem is that there are 2 groups of people that I know about who are
>> not enjoying it. The first group are the Christians who want a nice forum
>> to discuss Christianity with the implicit assumption that Christianity
>> is true.

[Rich Rosen replys]

>Anybody who thinks that they can control and determine what gets said (and by
>whom) in a particular newsgroup is in for a surprise.  Look at net.singles!
>How many people who contribute are actually single?  How many of the articles
>contain anything related to "being single"?  Face it, net.singles is the REAL
>net.social (AND net.love/sex AND net.personal_affairs), with "net.social"
>practically starving by comparison.  People choose the newsgroup(s) in which
>they post their articles based on whom they want to address, whom they wish
>to read the articles, which audience the article is intended for.  If I have
>a question to ask of people who own Volkswagens, I'm going to ask it in
>net.auto.vw (if such a thing still exists).  If it doesn't, I'll post it to
>net.auto proper.  If I have a question to ask of religious believers, that's
>what net.religion WAS for.  If I have a point to make and a further question
>to ask on something Jeff Sargent has said in net.religion.christian, I'm
>liable to follow it up in that same newsgroup.  Whether Steve Hutchison
>calls it impolite or not...

I can only take this to mean that Rich Rosen fully intends to thumb his nose
at whatever the stated purpose of this group is; since it provides him with a
convenient captive audience of Christians to rant and rave at, he intends to
continue posting to it.

[More Rich R.]

>As Charlie [Charley] Wingate had already mentioned,
>there is a *private* forum, a mailing list, for private discussions amongst
>Christians.  But net.religion.christian is a *public* forum.
>Like net.women.only turned out to be.  (That's one of the reasons there's a
>feminist mailing list as well.)

What a moral argument: "because other people trashed net.women.only, that
gives me license to trash net.religion.christian."

As a member of the not-very-famous mailing list, let me say that I think it
has one very serious deficiency: it's hard to get on the list.  Obviously,
there is a good reason for this, as it prevents the list from being trashed
by hostile anti-christian diatribe.  On the other hand, this doesn't tend
to encourage new blood (us anglicans gotta eat sometimes, you know :-)).
As a public forum, this group affords the very real advantage of a larger
audience.  What I and many others find very tedious is to start a reasonable
discussion, only to have it seized upon by the Christoclasts who roam the
group in search of new battlefields for their anti-religious diatribes.

(By the way; send applications to the mailing list to:

         {seismo!allegra}!umcp-cs!mailJC-request
  or     mailJC-request@maryland.ARPA)

Charley Wingate    umcp-cs!mangoe

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (02/23/85)

Reply to Rich:

	When my beliefs get "slammed", unjustifiably, I counter
	with an offering of the reasons why the argument
	slamming my beliefs was flawed [...] The responses to
	such articles are not of the form "This is the flaw in
	your reasoning, Rich." Rather, the responses are of the
	form "HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY BELIEFS?  WHO DO YOU
	THINK YOU ARE, SHOWING FLAWS IN A BELIEF SYSTEM HELD BY
	MILLIONS OF PEOPLE FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS?  YOU MUST BE
	AN ASSHOLE!"  If responses like *that* wouldn't get you
	irate, and prompt you to get a little annoyed,
	frustrated, and perhaps nasty, well, ...   (Another
	RULE #1 I've learned to live with:  When you show
	people a flaw in their logic, they have every right to
	punch you in the face.  Or so it seems on the net...)

No. When you show people a flaw in their logic they do not have the
right to punch you in the face. You have got the problem down pat.
(except -- hmm, Rich, if this is you when you are ``a little
annoyed, frustrated, and perhaps nasty''
I would hate to see you when you go whole hog...

But there is a further problem here. This business of face-slamming
has been going on for years here. You are obviously not getting
your message across. Now the question to ask is: What is wrong
with your messages that so many people can't understand them?

``They are all morons'' is not an acceptable answer. It may be
true, but then you are a fool to argue with them in the first place.
My theory is that they are not listening because they perceive
you as not listening -- and hostile to boot. If you want to get a
better response out of them, then you are going to have to
change this perception of them. A good place to start is to
always assume that if your message isn't getting across, then
it is *your fault* for not tailoring it to your audience properly.

Sometimes, of course, this isn't the problem. But it saves on flames.

At some point you may have to consider that they are not interested in
logic at all -- and if you conclude that this is the case then what
are you going to do? Logical arguements are not going to work with them
no matter how you phrase them!

[...]

You may be understnading them better, but I don't tghink that they are
understanding you. From the mail I have received, it seems that
a fair chunk of the readership think that you are playing a con-game --
you claim to want understanding but don't make any effort to understand.
This claim may be false -- but you seem to have lost some of teh audience.

The article you mention hasn't arrived here yet.

I don't know exactly what happened to the ultimate good/ultimate evil
discussion -- but Larry Bickford (where is he now?) and I went at it
for a few months by mail. it took that long for us to get a defintion
of ``evil'' that we both could use. I don't think that we ever got a
definition of ``good'' that was mutually acceptable.

	Because only my vindictive (because of what?) articles get
	responded to, providing an opportunity for people to say "See?
	Rosen is an asshole."???

Yes, but if this is happening, at least it is easy to fix. Cut
out the vindictive articles. And stop worry about ``because of
what'' --, because, at this late date, it doesn't matter. That
you may be justified in venting your spleen doesn't mean that you
*should*. Why contribute to the general level of vidictiveness?
is it doing you any good?

	[Long paragraph on how nobody can force which newsgroups people
	post to.]

Yes. Remember me? It is going to be a very cold day in hell before
I start advocating censorship -- but that wasn't the idea. The idea
was to set up a form where you could get the audience you are
interested in, as well as one where they could get the audience that
they are interested in. This is more like the net.music split --
but then, I seem to recall, you didn't like this one either.
Why?

	I think that the problem is that RELIGION, not NET.religion, is
	viewed as a battleground.  Some trying to persuade others of
	their rightness, others resenting the efforts, still others
	seeking to persuade by stronger means, still more others
	resisting that.  Yes, even the gentle little footprints article
	had swipes taken at it.  And maybe that's the point.  People
	who want to air their beliefs in a public forum but don't want
	to hear contrary points of view in that same forum are living
	in a dream world.  And if they wish to control what other
	people have to say, well, Gary Samuelson knows the word that
	describes that.  As Charlie Wingate had already mentioned,
	there is a *private* forum, a mailing list, for private
	discussions amongst Christians.  But net.religion.christian is
	a *public* forum.

The problem with mailing lists is that new people don't know that
there is one, and that casual readers who don't want to always follow
the discussion either get their mailbox filled when thy don't desire this
or get themselves removed from the mailing list. Why not have more than
one public forum?

The dificulty about the argument about it being the fault of religion,
rather than the currect activities of net.religion is that certain
discussions seem to take place without rabid flaming -- at least for a
while. How much flaming is there about ``what do various Christians
believe about transubstantiation'' now? Why is there so little about
this?

I think that this is because nobody has gotten up and said ``if I can't
one of those hosts under my microscope and see the real molecules of
Christ then I won't believe and beside you are all ninnies for
believing this anyway.'' Now -- I am sure that there are a lot of
people who believe this. How come we haven't seen this? because
this argument is not worthwhile.

But many people get sucked into the same unworthwhile debates again,
and again, and again. This is folly.

Most of the Christians can claim ``well, I wasn't around 2 years
ago -- so this is news to me''. But there are others, like
Ken Ardnt and Kar:en alias larryg who seem fantastically interested
in such folly. And you, Rich, either also enjoy this or get sucked in
far too often. So, why not move these arguements to another newsgroup?
net.religion.perpetual perhaps? (gee, I'm having fun thinking of names).

		I would like to try to do something about this. Since you
		tend to provoke (maintain?) such arguments, moving you is a
		simple way to test the theory that it is the presence of
		arguments which continues the arguments. The theory may be
		wrong, but if it *isn't* it would be nice to do something.

	I wasn't "put" on earth to be the subject of your scientific
	experiments, Laura, and I resent being the "guinea pig" to
	formulate some sort of netnews litmus test.  *I* wasn't the one
	who replied to the Footprints poem.  The series of articles
	countering each other that followed it (no less abrasive than
	my own) had nothing to do with my participation in either
	newsgroup.  I'm not the only one who responds to articles in
	either newsgroup, "impolitely" (as Hutch would call it) or
	otherwise.  -- Otology recapitulates phonology.

I never said that you were ``put'' on earth for anything at all. Why so
resentful? Your claim that your participation in either newsgroup
had nothing to do with the abrasive series of articles is exactly
what I want to test. Why are you opposed to being the ``guinea pig''?

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (02/26/85)

I'm taking the liberty of responding to some points addressed to Rich Rosen,
because I've experienced these same arguments at one time or another.

In article <5093@utzoo.UUCP> laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:
> Reply to Rich: ...
> But there is a further problem here. This business of face-slamming
> has been going on for years here. You are obviously not getting
> your message across. Now the question to ask is: What is wrong
> with your messages that so many people can't understand them? ...
> My theory is that they are not listening because they perceive
> you as not listening -- and hostile to boot...

Quite possibly true-- of some individuals.  But there are a lot of people
who do get his message.  Some people feel you aren't listening unless you
agree with every word they say.  If they aren't receptive, there are enough
others who are that I wouldn't cry.

> At some point you may have to consider that they are not interested in
> logic at all -- and if you conclude that this is the case then what
> are you going to do? Logical arguements are not going to work with them
> no matter how you phrase them!

I argue both for the individual I am addressing and the audience.
If an individual is not interested in logic, he/she will have to labor to
convince those in the audience who are amenable to logic.  I think logic
and rationality have a pretty fair following, even in net.religion.christian.

> You may be understnading them better, but I don't tghink that they are
> understanding you. From the mail I have received, it seems that
> a fair chunk of the readership think that you are playing a con-game --
> you claim to want understanding but don't make any effort to understand.
> This claim may be false -- but you seem to have lost some of teh audience.

I've been accused of this also.  I feel the claim is false.  If someone
explains their beliefs to me, and I spot a "leap of faith", I will not
adopt their beliefs.  I can still understand their beliefs, and
extrapolate upon them.  But some people will misinterpret rejection as
lack of understanding.  I'm always happy to explain why, if they'd only
ask (some do) and not judge hastily.

> That you may be justified in venting your spleen doesn't mean that you
> *should*. Why contribute to the general level of vidictiveness?
> is it doing you any good?

It took me years (in notes on the PLATO system) to cut down on my sarcasm
and adopt a policy of turn the other cheek while rebutting accurately.
I think there is an esthetic involved, that supplants the satisfaction
one can receive from goading someone else into apoplexy.  Sometimes I
slip: I can only ask tolerance.

> But many people get sucked into the same unworthwhile debates again,
> and again, and again. This is folly.
>
> Most of the Christians can claim ``well, I wasn't around 2 years
> ago -- so this is news to me''. But there are others, like
> Ken Ardnt and Kar:en alias larryg who seem fantastically interested
> in such folly. And you, Rich, either also enjoy this or get sucked in
> far too often. So, why not move these arguements to another newsgroup?
> net.religion.perpetual perhaps? (gee, I'm having fun thinking of names).

Schoolteachers seem to have the same personal "problem" of not being
satisfied with their own personal knowledge.  I don't think that
willingness to educate is folly.  And splitting newsgroups doesn't
entirely solve the problem either, because the education process must
continue to keep newcomers writing in the correct groups.  And it is
amusing to consider that you are getting sucked into one of those
"foolish" perpetual arguments yourself right here.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh