[net.religion] Gyn/Ecology by Mary Daly

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (03/02/85)

In article <700@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:

>I have never heard of this book or author

It's generally available in paperback.  Mary Daly is (was?) on the
faculty at Boston College.  She describes herself as a revolting hag
and crone--which sent me scurrying for my OED.

>MILLIONS of women were burned as witches or whatever in Europe?

Yes.

>Female mutilations; is this like foot-binding or is there more?

Clitorectomies, histerectomies, removal of healthy kidneys and other organs.
In nineteenth century America, surgery was the cure for dissatisfaction
with women's lot.

>Are you saying lobotomies and shock treatment are used to torture
>(for pleasure or control) women?

More than 70% of reported shock treatments are given to women, usually
older women.  These statistics do not count shock that is performed in
doctors' offices, so the actual percentage is probably higher.

Lobotomies are rarer today than they were in the 1950s, but they also
were used primarily against women.  Did you see the movie about Frances
Farmer?  Did you think they made that up?  I'm sure you've heard about
American women's great backward step, described in The Feminine Mystique.
Psychiatry was used at all levels to effect and enforce that change.
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA