[net.religion] A Voice in the Wilderness

david@terak.UUCP (David Jayakaran) (03/07/85)

[]

You are right about witch burning.  It was done world wide and my naming
Salem was just a representative case, not meant as the sole occurrence in
history.  Nor am I implying that the real witches at Salem should have been
put to death.

Show me in the Bible about all these "rules" to decide who was a witch and
who was not.  If it is not in the Bible, why call it Christian?  You see
where I'm coming from....  Christian (to me) represents a very profound
title that carries great responsibility, selflessness and commitment to
Jesus Christ.  Let's not sling it around to include people who couldn't
care less about God, but use "christian" to give a cloak of respectability
to what they do.  Personally, I could find a lot of better things to do,
than being in such people's shoes.  Like throwing myself off a 20 story
building.  Like skydiving...without a parachute.  Or walking out on the
freeway in rush hour traffic.  Sinners in the hands of an angry God
(shudder).....

A voice in the wilderness :
- ----- -- --- ----------
I personally KNOW my Lord and Savior (not just know ABOUT Him) well enough
to realize that His Judgement is just as sure and relentless as His love is
and I live my life knowing that I will make an account to God for every
word that I have said and every action done.  No, I am not walking in
continual fear of a spiritual "big brother" but facts are facts.  Every
human being is going to make an account to Him, no matter how much they
may disbelieve, intellectualize, philosophize, debate, yell, kick or
scream.  What if the Bible is right and you are wrong, O unbeliever?  It
may be too late for you when you find out.

Ever tried reminiscing about a life-threatening incident that happened to you,
where you barely escaped with your life?  Not pleasant, huh?  Why?  Because
it constantly reminds you of how easily it could have gone the other way.
In my time I was the heretic's heretic (shudder) and when I look at the
"intellectual" garbage of some of these people posting to the above-mentioned
newsgroups I say to myself "There, but for the Grace of God, go I."  Then
I go home and fall on my face and cry out to God for more Grace.

Four years a Christian....the joy and adventure keep getting more intense.
God, why isn't living for you drab and boring, like they tell me it is?
Why don't I feel sick and demented, and needing psychiatric help, like they
tell me?  Why are you so real to me, and not a mental trip, like they tell
me?  Why don't I get migraines like everyone around me?  Why don't I feel
like yelling and cursing when somebody steps on me on their way to the top?
Why do I feel this love for people who despise the ground I walk on?  Where
are those recurring illnesses of my pagan heretic days?  Why have I been
having such vibrant health these past few years?  Lord, whatever you have
been doing with me, I like it.  Let me have more of the same.

From the keys of David Jayakaran, ex pagan heretic.

Quote from Martin Taylor's posting titled *Law and Christianity (sort of)* :
----- ---- ------ -------- ------- ------ --------------------------------

--
David

uucp:	 ...{decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!terak!david
phone:	 [602] 998-4800
us mail: Terak Corporation, 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His
handywork.                                                 Psalm 19:1

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/11/85)

I have done a rather extensive survey of the biographies of the
inquisitors. I did not find that they were evil men who consciously
used Christianity to justify the atrocities that they desired to
commit. On the contrary, I found that they were sincerely convinced
that The God of the Old and New Testament was engaged in a struggle
against the forces of evil. They were committed to their faith and their
side of the struggle and they unquestionally believed that heretics
and pagans were in league with the Devil in a cosmic battle of Good
versus Evil with ``men's souls'' as the prizes.

I get the distinct impression that David Jayakaran is more interested
in the reputation of Christianity (we wouldn't want the name of the
religion to be associated with those horrid inquisitors) rather than
the excesses of religious zeal. To say the least, I do not find this
comforting. If they come to my door to lock me up in an asylum (oops,
double speak prefers that one calls them mental institutions, or
better mental hospitals, or hospitals for the desturbed) I may remember
that according to David Jayakaran these people aren't ``real Christians''
but I would much rather that the ``real'' ones kept the ``false'' ones
from my door in the first place.

	This, I suppose is the real difference. There is no way that
I would talk about Salem witch burnings. Nobody was burned at Salem,
since the special court conviened in Salem tried to follow British
law. Burning, under English Law in 1692 was reserved for treason
and treason alone -- both ``high'' (rebellion against the king) and
``low'' (murdering one's husband). To be burnt as a witch in England
one had to be convicted of using witchcraft either to murder your
husband or to attack the sovereign. Witchcraft, per se was a hanging
offense -- not that all convicted witches were hung in England,
either, as England was relatively merciful compared to other
countries at that time.

Nor would I describe it as the killing of innocent (women) citizens. 20
people were put to death (hung) and 2 ``died in prison'' -- one of whom, was
crushed to death. Those put to death were not, for the most part, citizens --
slaves, transients, beggers, cripples and other ``people of poor repuation''
bore the brunt of it.
(There is some doubt as to whether there were *any* citizens in
Salem in 1692. The English government was in the process of
examining and questining Salem's very constitution -- and had
suspended its ability to function autonomously. This is why a
special court was convened -- not, as some have argued, out of
religious fervour, but simply because there was no court at that
time. Without the special convention, the accused, both those
found innocent and those found guilty would have to wait in prison for years
until their case could go to court. Since they had to pay for their stay
in jail, innocent or guilty, this would bankrupt the innocent.)

In any case, I would never, even with a smiley face, ask ``can I
go watch''. In 1968 a witch was burned outside of Mexico City, and
in 1970 one was stoned to death in Nicaragua. These are the last 2 cases
I know of, but there may be others.

In any case, I still do not know what to make of:

	Honey, you better believe it's coming.  It may shock you who will be
	called the heretic.  Not you, but people like me.  So rest easy, it'll
	pass ya by.

Is this a joke? Or does he think that I am so lacking in compassion that
I would think that it is marvellous that people are coming to kill
and torture him for his religious convictions? Or is he welcoming
this since he considers ``real Christians'' to be the ones that have
undergone martyrdom? Any way I slice it I don't get it -- so ``resting
easy'' I am not...

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (03/13/85)

In article <431@terak.UUCP> david@terak.UUCP (David Jayakaran) writes:
>Show me in the Bible about all these "rules" to decide who was a witch and
>who was not.  If it is not in the Bible, why call it Christian?  You see
>where I'm coming from....  Christian (to me) represents a very profound
>title that carries great responsibility, selflessness and commitment to
>Jesus Christ.  Let's not sling it around to include people who couldn't
>care less about God, but use "christian" to give a cloak of respectability
>to what they do.

The question that I must ask then is, where are you on the street corners
where the witch burners claiming to be Christians are?  Where are your
denouncements of the Jerry Falwell's in your midst?  If it walks like a
duck...

>What if the Bible is right and you are wrong, O unbeliever?  It
>may be too late for you when you find out.

Why should I believe that billions of hindu's, buddists, jews and moslems
have been wrong?  Why do you believe them wrong?  When you find out,
it may be to late for you.
--
Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower