[net.religion] Sodom

In article <863@ames.UUCP> barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:

>>    "They called to Lot, `Where are the men who came to you
>>    tonight?  Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with
>>    them.'" (NIV)

>	It's less clear in other translations. The RSV says "And they
>called to Lot, 'Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them
>out to us, that we may know them.'". And the King James also says "know
>them" rather than "have sex with them". A bit more ambiguous, I would
>say.

The verb "know" is the typical KJV euphemism for "have sex".  Seeing as how
the NIV is a fundamentalist bible, one would expect it to be more aggressive
about bringing this point out.  My Jerusalem has the following:

  Calling to Lot they said, "Where are the men who came to you tonight?
  Send them out to us that we may abuse them."

with the following note:

  The unnatural vice that takes its name from this incident was condemned by
  the israelites though it was common among their neighbors.  However,
  underlying the story is a horror of the double offense of such behavior
  towards angels (as the "men" are revealed to be), and the breach of the law
  of hospitality would also be considered serious.

This would explain why Lot would rather have them ravage his daughters rather
than let them abuse his guests.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

ask@cbdkc1.UUCP (A.S. Kamlet) (03/15/85)

>   The unnatural vice that takes its name from this incident was condemned by
>   the israelites though it was common among their neighbors.  However,
>   underlying the story is a horror of the double offense of such behavior
>   towards angels (as the "men" are revealed to be), and the breach of the law
>   of hospitality would also be considered serious.
>
> This would explain why Lot would rather have them ravage his daughters rather
> than let them abuse his guests.
>
> Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

Yes, that's how I learned it.

The story of Lot's daughters is also interesting.  Immediately after
the destruction of Sodom, and Lot's wife turning into a pillar of salt,
Lot probably wasn't feeling too great.  His daughters thought that
the whole world had been destroyed, and that Lot was the last man on earth.
To keep the human race going (they believed), they got him drunk and
had sex with him.  The child of the older daughter was Moab, the ancestor
of Ruth, the ancestor of King David.
--
Art Kamlet  AT&T Bell Laboratories  Columbus {ihnp4 | cbosgd}!cbrma!ask

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (03/17/85)

> Lot probably wasn't feeling too great.  His daughters thought that
> the whole world had been destroyed, and that Lot was the last man on earth.
> To keep the human race going (they believed), they got him drunk and
> had sex with him.  The child of the older daughter was Moab, the ancestor
> of Ruth, the ancestor of King David.

Wait a minute.  Wasn't Jesus related to David in some way, through
(obviously) Mary?
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"And Frith made the world"