[net.religion] Re 'Cheeses'/ Life of Brian & St. Thomas Aquinas

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (03/16/85)

[..munch..munch   Doesn't the title of this posting sound like a MP skit?]

In article <4049@umcp-cs.UUCP>  (Charley Wingate) writes:

>Rich, you seem to think that the arguments you bring against christianity
>are new.  They're not.  Most of the things you've brought up were argued
>against by Aquinas, and there are lots of responses to them through the
>years.  I don't suppose you've bothered reading any of them, though.

Aquinas believed that women were produced by "defective" circumstances
(Ia.92.I): if conception took place under completely "natural" circumstances
males would always result ("for the active force of the male seed intends to
produce something similar to itself, perfect in its masculinity"), but if
some peculiarity intervened - a defect in sperm or seed or the prevalence of a
moist south wind at the time of conception - females would be born.

       "Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality" - John Boswell

It seems that even with God's help Aquinas fell prey to the current belief
systems of his day thinking along with Aristotle that women were inferior to
men in many practical ways.  Another Aquinas quote: "Woman is naturally
of less character and dignity than man" again in (Ia.92.i).

What I find really amazing are those Christians today that fail to see that
they have their own cultural blind spots preferring instead to think that God
would never allow them to believe anything wrong, especially anything which
would be harmful to others.  But, then again, I guess they can always claim
that they are closer to God than Aquinas was.

"The Life of Brian" satires many of the weaknesses of those devoted to some
religious belief of some sort.  And lets face it, the majority of their skits
poke fun at the weaknesses of those too devoted to any given thing in
particular.

Dave Trissel        {ihnp4,gatech,seismo}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/18/85)

There is a reason that Thomas Aquinas believed ``with Aristotle'' a number
of fallacies. Aristotles writing were discovered at the time of Thomas
Aquinas' life and he is vitually responsible for the spread of Aristotelian
thinking in the west. Both Aristotle and Aquinas got a lot wrong, but,
especially in the case of Aristotle, the amount that was right far
outshines it.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura