[net.religion] Response to Laura - what is a religion?

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/08/85)

> Rich,
> your personal definition of ``religion'' implies a worship of a deity,
> and your personal definition of ``worship'' implies the existence
> of a deity -- or deities, I suppose.   [LAURA CREIGHTON]

It would be "my personal definition" if I took it from "my personal
dictionary".  Sorry, but I haven't published "The English Language According
to Rich Rosen" yet.  (Hell, I haven't even finished writing... uh, I mean
TRANSLATING!!! (whew!) the Book of Ubizmo!!!)  I would think that the
dictionaries I utilized do not contain "personal" definitions.

> Unfortunately, you are in Humpty Dumpty mode again. Everybody else
> (yes, I am sure you could drag up people who agree with you, that
> wasn't meant to be taken literally) just doesn't use words that way.

I could (and with more substantiation, given the dictionaries) say the
same thing back to you, Laura.

> This definition of religon is true for Judaism, Christianity and Islam --
> though I know Gnostics who consider themselves Christian and who don't
> ``worship God'' (according to them, Jesus was *not* God, and worshipping the
> Demiurge [sp?] is a mistake) (as opposed to the Yezidees who have a similar
> world view and who are proclaimed Satanists) and I am not sure how to
> characterise Sufism.  You seem to have left out Hinduism (though some Hindus
> do ``worship'' as you understand the term) Buddhism, Taoism, and a great many
> ``primative religions'' found in Malasia, Africa, and the Americas.
> The european pagan tradition (assuming that you believe that there
> was one, and that it is connected to current paganism, the point
> being hotly debated in anthropological circles today) would be very
> divided into worshippers and non-worshippers by your standard -- all
> depending on what and how one takes to be symbols.
>
> That is a lot of people who consider themsleves ``religious'' and who
> have designed ceremonies, and build statues, frescos and temples
> and in general gathered together to express a common belief and
> practice which they considered religious whom you are not recognising.

There are also a lot of people who consider themselves "scientists", who
hardly fit any reasonable definition of the term.  Must we adhere to their
self-labelling just because THEY say so?  If the definition of religion
implies worship of a deity (as I think I've shown that it does imply), then
the philosophies/belief systems you mention simply do not fall into the
category of "religion", and another word would have to be used to describe
them.

> Why must we all adopt your definitions? It seems that you are only
> willing to discuss what are called ``Judeao-Christian religions''
> (the authority centred, God creator ones) and, at that, I can't
> remember you discussing Islam ever, or Judaism much. If what you
> want to discuss is Christianity, then, you are in the wrong newsgroup,
> even if ``religion'' is synonymous with ``christianity'' to you.

Gee, Laura, are you now back to telling me TO post to n.r.c?  I'm confused.
Religion, by definition, implies worship of a deity.  Other belief systems
or philosophies that do not engage in such worship are thus not religions.
This does not make them "bad" (certainly not in my eyes), rather it simply
means that another word should be used to describe them.  Again, these are
not MY definitions:  there are commonly accepted definitions.  The fact that
a movement runs around calling itself a religion (or a science) does not
make it so.  Why such a movement would WANT to get lumped in with belief
systems it is fundamentally different from in that regard is beyond me.
--
"It's a lot like life..."			 Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/10/85)

Rich, there isn't a university in the world that I know of which
will give you a degree in comparative religions which will let you
ignore Buddhism, Hinduism and various shamanistic religions simply
because they do not believe in the sort of God that is believed in
by Jews, Moslems and Christians. Ask around -- do people consider
Hinduism a religion? Do people consider Buddhism a religion?
What about Taoism?

There is one school of thought that says that physics, biology and
chemistry (with astronomy) are the only scientists, and ``computer
scientists'' aren't. Yet I know a lot of computer professionals who
really think that they are doing science. Is the opinion of the
``physics, biology and chemistry only'' crowd to be taken over the
word of the computer scientists? I suspect not. What we need is
a definiton of science and then we can figure out if computer
scientists are doing it. It is wise to notice that if our definition
of science ends up concluding that biologists are not scientists,
then, no matter how initially appealing that defintion is, it is
not useful as a definition of science.

Okay. You have proposed a definition of religion. We must dispose of
it now. Too many of the world's great religions do not fit. It may
be that most North Americans that you have come across would accept
your defintion, (though I actually doubt this -- I think that they would
accept that Hinduism is a religion as is Buddhism) but a simple
plebiscite is not enough -- or astrology is a science, again. You
must deal with the experts in the field - and I don't think that
you will find any religion student or professor who will be happy
with your definition.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/12/85)

> Okay. You have proposed a definition of religion. We must dispose of
> it now.

Because you say so?  Sorry, Laura, I'm talking about religion as defined
in the dictionary, meaning a system involving beliefs in "supernatural"
or non-physical entities (whatever that means) of some higher or ultimate
controlling power with a will and the means to exercise that will.  If
you're talking about other systems, then don't argue with me.  I'm not
debating the merits or non-merits of such systems (at this time).  Can't
you please stick to the topic?  Go back three or four iterations and witness
the numerous points in my earlier articles that have gone unanswered because
of this straying from the original topic!!!  Your avoidance of the
original questions almost made me think that maybe you had converted to ...
(No, I won't say it.)

> There is one school of thought that says that physics, biology and
> chemistry (with astronomy) are the only scientists, and ``computer
> scientists'' aren't. Yet I know a lot of computer professionals who
> really think that they are doing science. Is the opinion of the
> ``physics, biology and chemistry only'' crowd to be taken over the
> word of the computer scientists? I suspect not. What we need is
> a definiton of science and then we can figure out if computer
> scientists are doing it.

I've heard it said that any "science" that must include the word "science"
in its name (as if to justify it being called a science), such as "computer
science" or "creation science", is by it very name NOT a science.  Maybe
this is one step in producing such a definition.  :-?
--
Life is complex.  It has real and imaginary parts.
					Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/12/85)

Rich, your definition changed. Last week you said that all religions
have a belief in a creating deity which is external to the world. This
week we have:

	a system involving beliefs in "supernatural" or non-physical
	entities (whatever that means) of some higher or ultimate
	controlling power with a will and the means to exercise that
	will.

This is not the same thing. Indeed, a lot of Christians would not buy
this definition of their God, since they don't think that God
``controls'' anything.

[this assumes that ``controlling'' binds to ``power''. If it binds to
``ultimate'' instead, and the or is an xor, then thI think that all
Christians would admit that this describes their Deity.]

On the other hand, I am quite happy to profess a belief in willed,
non-physical, supernatural entities. Not all members of other religions
would agree with me, though.

What I am trying to do is to get you to admit that your definition of
religion excludes a good many things which are already known to be
religions. I don't find your definitions any more congenial than those
of the Ba'hai -- they claim religious eclecticism while firmly
insisting on monotheism, and you are insistant upon theism.

There are words for what you have defined which are in common usuage.
Theism corresponds to your definition of today, and Judeao-Christian
corresponds to your definition of last week (though what you are
describing may be a larger set that happens to include Judaism,
Christianity and Islam.)

I am sorry that your exposure has been limited to people who either do
not know of eastern religions, or are so misconceived about them that
they might lead you to believe that your definition of religion is
anything like that used by the world at large. However, there is
nothing that I can do about it -- except to suggest that if you go
about telling every potential Buddhist that you meet that Buddhism is
not a religion, it is small wonder that they do not seek you out to
clean up your misconceptions.

Buddhism is a religion. Hinduism is a religion. There are lots more
pagan religions. If you want a word which only gives you those
religions which believe in a creator-deity, the word
``Judeao-Christian'' is often appropriate, and the phrase ``Western
religion'' is perhaps moreso, and is more inclusive. The belief in a
creator-god can be traced through all cultures which have had contact
with the metaphysics of Aristotle, so it may be that it is the
mataphysics of Aristotle that you are actually interested in, or
perhaps how that influenced the development of religion.

If I had decided to continue studies in the philosophy of religion I
would have gone for a Masters on that very subject -- it is very
interesting.

	If you're talking about other systems, then don't argue with
	me.  I'm not debating the merits or non-merits of such systems
	(at this time).

Horrors. I recall Christians who were discussing the various
differences between one sect of Protestantism and another react the
very same way to you plowing in and arguing about Christianity. This is
what I want to argue about, so I guess that you are stuck with it this
time.

	Can't you please stick to the topic?  Go back three or four
	iterations and witness the numerous points in my earlier
	articles that have gone unanswered because of this straying
	from the original topic!!!

Ah, but Rich, I *am* on topic. This began with your ``logic based on
different assumptions'' article. I am working very heavily on one of
your assumptions - that Eastern religions, and pagan religions
generally, are not religions. This faulty assumption influences your
logic to a very great degree -- indeed, it makes you prefer to think
that I am avoiding the argument rather that meeting it head on. *your*
*concept* *of* *religion* *has* *no* *room* *in* *it* *for* *my*
*religion*. This shows how very attatched you are to your false concept
of religion -- you would rather believe that your interpretation of the
definition of a general purpose dictionary is correct rahter than ask
any religion, philosophy of religion, or theology student or
professor. I suspect that if you did a house to house poll, even in New
Jersey you will find that most people think that Buddhism is a religion
and that Hinduism is a religion.

But you *still* cling to your concept. I it almost amusing that
clinging to his concept of God is what you are accusing Paul Dubuc of.
Again, I say, that both you and the Christians have missed the whole
thing by confusing your concepts with reality. If you do not understand
what I mean by this, consider -- if Buddhism and Hinduism are
religions, then you have confused your concept of religion with what a
religion is, and are so confused you *still* defend your belief.

	Your avoidance of the original questions almost made me think
	that maybe you had converted to ...  (No, I won't say it.)

If you think that, then you have imposed *another* concept of my
behaviour upon my behaviour. But I am trying to get away from that.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

In article <657@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen in disguise) writes:

[quoting Laura Creighton]
>> Okay. You have proposed a definition of religion. We must dispose of
>> it now.
>
>Because you say so?  Sorry, Laura, I'm talking about religion as defined
>in the dictionary, meaning a system involving beliefs in "supernatural"
>or non-physical entities (whatever that means) of some higher or ultimate
>controlling power with a will and the means to exercise that will.  If
>you're talking about other systems, then don't argue with me.  I'm not
>debating the merits or non-merits of such systems (at this time).  Can't
>you please stick to the topic?  Go back three or four iterations and witness
>the numerous points in my earlier articles that have gone unanswered because
>of this straying from the original topic!!!  Your avoidance of the
>original questions almost made me think that maybe you had converted to ...
>(No, I won't say it.)

Christianity? [I told you not to say it!] :-)

Rich has edited out precisely the part of Laura's original article in which
she presents the authority for her claim:

> Rich, there isn't a university in the world that I know of which
> will give you a degree in comparative religions which will let you
> ignore Buddhism, Hinduism and various shamanistic religions simply
> because they do not believe in the sort of God that is believed in
> by Jews, Moslems and Christians. Ask around -- do people consider
> Hinduism a religion? Do people consider Buddhism a religion?
> What about Taoism?

> Okay. You have proposed a definition of religion. We must dispose of
> it now. Too many of the world's great religions do not fit. It may
> be that most North Americans that you have come across would accept
> your defintion, (though I actually doubt this -- I think that they would
> accept that Hinduism is a religion as is Buddhism) but a simple
> plebiscite is not enough -- or astrology is a science, again. You
> must deal with the experts in the field - and I don't think that
> you will find any religion student or professor who will be happy
> with your definition.

The problem is, Rich, that Buddhism, for instance, has a radically different
view of the cosmos from the one you espouse; yet it has no deities.  Belief
in the supernatural in no way implies belief in a single God.  The fact that
your dictionary definition demands belief in a single god indicates that it
is so heavily popularized that as a TECHNICAL definition it is worthless.

[By the way, Rich, I find it amusing that you have cut the heart out of an
 article you quote, in precisely the way that you invariably accuse me of.]

Charley Wingate

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (03/14/85)

Look, Rich.  Several dictionary definitions of "religion" have been pointed
out that do not mention deity in any way.  Would you care to respond to
them?  So far, all you've done is pointed out that they do not EXCLUDE
deity.  That is not sufficient to show that they necessarily INCLUDE deity,
and in fact Buddhism meets several of them while remaining completely
atheistic.

I've got a fun idea.  Is there a university near where you live?  If so, how
about going down to the admissions office and telling the person there that
you want to study Buddhism but you aren't sure what department such classes
would be in.  After the laughter subsides, go down to the university library
and see what classification books on Buddhism are filed under.  Then I
suggest contacting Chogyam Trungpa and asking him how he got tax-exempt
status for his organization.  When you're done with all this, buy any book
on the "World's Great Religions" and see if Buddhism and Taoism are listed
there.  After you do these things and report the results on net.religion,
then I will be happy to continue this discussion with you.

Of course, you are free to use a definition of "religion" different from
that of virtually every expert in the field if (for some emotional reason)
you so wish.  But language is based on consensus, and if you flout the
conventions, you can't expect much communication to happen.  Still, if it's
any solace, I WAS once criticized by another ceremonial magician for calling
Magick a religion...
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University, Networking
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (03/16/85)

From pyuxd!rlr (Rich Rosen):
>> Okay. You have proposed a definition of religion. We must dispose of
>> it now. [LAURA CREIGHTON]
>
>Because you say so?  Sorry, Laura, I'm talking about religion as defined
>in the dictionary, meaning a system involving beliefs in "supernatural"
>or non-physical entities (whatever that means) of some higher or ultimate
>controlling power with a will and the means to exercise that will.  If
>you're talking about other systems, then don't argue with me.  I'm not
>debating the merits or non-merits of such systems (at this time).  Can't
>you please stick to the topic?  Go back three or four iterations and witness
>the numerous points in my earlier articles that have gone unanswered because
>of this straying from the original topic!!!

	Well, if you can't appeal to God as an ultimate authority, there's
always the dictionary :-). Seriously, though, I would be at least a little
curious what dictionary it is that contains the rather restrictive
definition of religion cited above, and no others. Others submitting
articles on this question have already quoted dictionaries showing that
the term "religion" is much broader than Rich wants it to be. Rich, aren't
you at *all* bothered that the definition you give above excludes many
branches of Buddhism and Taoism (no God), Deism (no controlling power),
pantheism, and probably others that I'm overlooking?
	In any case, the question of what constitutes "religion" is a
side-issue. You and the Christian apologists have been discussing the
"whys" (or lack of them) of existence, and Laura has offered ideas that
don't fit with either side's point of view. You can call them "speculative
philosophy" if you don't want to call them religious, but they *are*
responsive to the questions being addressed; this is hardly "straying
from the original topic".  If Laura's points are of interest to you, I
think you should respond to them with something more substantial than quibbles
over whether they are religious by your definition. And if they are not
of interest, there is no need to respond at all. You are free to continue
your debates with the proponents of anthropomorphic ideas of deity, and
ignore the rest.
	But however you subdivide the territory, it remains a fact that
there are opinions about the ultimate nature of reality (there's a grandiose
phrase!) that are not atheistic, but also do not require a belief in
supernatural manlike creatures with long beards who work miracles at
will, and keep track of any and all sparrows that fly by. And neither
you nor the Christian apologists have a special charter guaranteeing
that only your viewpoints are appropriate to this discussion.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	USENET:		 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/16/85)

>>> Okay. You have proposed a definition of religion. We must dispose of
>>> it now.  [LAURA CREIGHTON]
>
>>Because you say so?  Sorry, Laura, I'm talking about religion as defined
>>in the dictionary, meaning a system involving beliefs in "supernatural"
>>or non-physical entities (whatever that means) of some higher or ultimate
>>controlling power with a will and the means to exercise that will.  If
>>you're talking about other systems, then don't argue with me.  I'm not
>>debating the merits or non-merits of such systems (at this time).  Can't
>>you please stick to the topic?  Go back three or four iterations and witness
>>the numerous points in my earlier articles that have gone unanswered because
>>of this straying from the original topic!!!  Your avoidance of the
>>original questions almost made me think that maybe you had converted to ...
>>(No, I won't say it.)  [ROSEN]

> Christianity? [I told you not to say it!] :-)

Ahem.  *YOU* said it yourself.

> Rich has edited out precisely the part of Laura's original article in which
> she presents the authority for her claim:
>>   Rich, there isn't a university in the world that I know of which
>>   will give you a degree in comparative religions which will let you
>>   ignore Buddhism, Hinduism and various shamanistic religions simply
>>   because they do not believe in the sort of God that is believed in
>>   by Jews, Moslems and Christians. Ask around -- do people consider
>>   Hinduism a religion? Do people consider Buddhism a religion?
>>   What about Taoism?
>>   Okay. You have proposed a definition of religion. We must dispose of
>>   it now. Too many of the world's great religions do not fit. It may
>>   be that most North Americans that you have come across would accept
>>   your defintion, (though I actually doubt this -- I think that they would
>>   accept that Hinduism is a religion as is Buddhism) but a simple
>>   plebiscite is not enough -- or astrology is a science, again. You
>>   must deal with the experts in the field - and I don't think that
>>   you will find any religion student or professor who will be happy
>>   with your definition.

As I've repeated several times in several places (which is why this part was
excised, not, as "charley" the kettle-calling pot says, in an effort to
"cut out the heart of an article", but rather in an effort not to repeat
points made elsewhere).  Anyway, as I've repeated several times in several
places:  if 50 million people say that a tomato is a vegetable, must we change
the botany books or alter the definition of vegetable?  Not at all.  The
people who say that the tomato is a vegetable have simply mislabelled it.
Lots of things get mislabelled, and get stuck with the erroneous classification
for all eternity.  That doesn't make the tomato a vegetable.

> The problem is, Rich, that Buddhism, for instance, has a radically different
> view of the cosmos from the one you espouse; yet it has no deities.

I can't imagine how you'd "know" that...

> Belief in the supernatural in no way implies belief in a single God.

Belief in and worship of a superior so-called supernatural entity (-ies) = ...
(Fill in the "...")

> The fact that your dictionary definition demands belief in a single god...

It doesn't, and what's more I never claimed that it did or that such a
limitation was part of the definition of religion.

> ... indicates that it
> is so heavily popularized that as a TECHNICAL definition it is worthless.

Since it doesn't, I'd say the definition is still worthwhile.  And I'd say
that another, more accurate word, perhaps a new one (that happens, you know---
new words...), would be more suitable to describe belief systems like
Buddhism.

But let's say I gather 50 million people together and we all agree to claim,
for the rest of our lives, that Buddhism is not only a religion, it is a sect
of Christianity.  By "our" definition.  We don't wish to be limited by
usage of the language or definitions of "christian".  In fifty years time,
will it be so?  Because we say it's so?  If we convince the rest of the world
that Buddhism is a sect of Christianity, still retaining the definition of
Christianity being belief in the divinity of Jesus Christ as the son of god,
would THAT make it so?  Or would we have mislabelled Buddhism?  Once it's
so, and Buddhism is taught as a form of Christianity (whatever that means),
is it likely to get "unlabelled"?  Does THAT make it so?

> [By the way, Rich, I find it amusing that you have cut the heart out of an
>  article you quote, in precisely the way that you invariably accuse me of.]

I'm glad you find it amusing.  The reason the "heart" was cut out was because
all the points I've made, which answered Laura's comments, had been redundantly
addressed elsewhere.  Why is it, though, that I "invariably" have to accuse
you of same?
--
"When you believe in things that you don't understand, you'll suffer.
 Superstition ain't the way."		Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/17/85)

Okay Rich, we have a problem. Do you know why people think that tomatoes
are vegetables? I know an apocryphal story, and i can't vouch for its
correctness, but it seems that the Food and Drug Administration
classified them this way to make it easier for the farmers who
raised vegetables and tomatoes. So we have overloaded a word, and in
a funny sense -- one meaning of vegetable is the same as the other
meaning of vegetable with the addition of the tomato.

Now, look around. See how many people have a problem with this definition.
The only people I know who are seriously upset by it are those who are
objecting to Ronald Reagan calling ketchup a vegetable. Are there any
others that I have missed?

I suspect that having tomatoes reclassified by the FDA will not fix
Ronald Reagan in such a way that everybody will go home happy to
sleep tonight. I think that the whole thing doesn't matter very
much. If you want to fight the FDA I can tell you about a lot of
other things that they are doing which could use more fighting than
the definition of tomato, but I suspect that fighting the FDA is not
what you really want to do.

Now it is interesting that the botanists and farmers and gardeners
who use tomatoes in their work might conceivably want the definition of
tomato as a vegetable scrapped. I don't see them doing this, but one
could see why they are interested. Now, is it the religious writers,
religion professors, clergy, and gurus that object to people classifying
Hinduism and Buddhism as a religion? On the whole, no -- there are some
zealots who object to anything other than their religion being called religion,
but I think that we can excuse them. Is this because they think that Buddhists
worship a deity? Nope -- they argue like crazy over whether yoga is a form
of prayer, so I think they are rather aware of the distinction.

It is interesting, in that they want to distinguish between religions which
worship an external deity and those which do not. This is the ``eastern
religion'' ``western religion'' split. They *aren't* campaigning for
anotehr word that describes both western and eastern religion -- they
think that ``religion'' does quite well. Considering the effort that
they put into defining ``what is a cult'' I am sure that if they were
unhappy with the definition I would have heard about it by now.

Why are you unhappy with the word, Rich? I keep going back to the same
thing -- Rich is unhappy about what the word ``religion'' means because
he is very attached to his definition of the word religion. He presumes
this definition of the word religion when he used the term, and it is
WISHFUL THINKING on his part that the rest of the world is going to
accept his definition.

So Rich, why is your attatchment to your definition of the word religion
(the one you find in your dictionary) any better than a Christian's
definition of the word God (the one he finds in his Bible)?

Laura Creighton

ps I think that we spell Ken Arndt's name wrong because the ending
   ``dn't'' is common in English. Also, I have no idea how to
   pronounce that name -- in my head it is a homonym for ``aren't''.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/21/85)

> So we have overloaded a word, and in a funny sense -- one meaning of vegetable
> is the same as the other meaning of vegetable with the addition of the tomato.

As one meaning of "religion", you would have it, is the same as the other
meaning with the addition of...  But have the actual definitions actually been
changed?

> It is interesting, in that they want to distinguish between religions which
> worship an external deity and those which do not. This is the ``eastern
> religion'' ``western religion'' split. They *aren't* campaigning for
> anotehr word that describes both western and eastern religion -- they
> think that ``religion'' does quite well. Considering the effort that
> they put into defining ``what is a cult'' I am sure that if they were
> unhappy with the definition I would have heard about it by now.

I agree.  As we all already agreed,  the actual meaning of the word cult is
a belief system that is contrary to the belief system of the person saying
the word.  The word "cult" has a meaning, a definition, but where that word
gets used will depend on who is saying it.  You're right, "they" aren't
campaigning.  If you want clarity and understanding of what your beliefs mean,
it becomes up to you to campaign.  If you choose to, I for one would be more
than glad to make use of such a word (obviously---provided it's better by leaps
and bounds than the ones I've been offering you, like "menglopism"...).

> Why are you unhappy with the word, Rich? I keep going back to the same
> thing -- Rich is unhappy about what the word ``religion'' means because
> he is very attached to his definition of the word religion. He presumes
> this definition of the word religion when he used the term, and it is
> WISHFUL THINKING on his part that the rest of the world is going to
> accept his definition.

First, by definition I think the "world" has accepted the existing definition
of religion as I have.  (Calling it "my" definition is an abusive argumentative
tactic.)  Could it possibly be that YOU are unhappy that your beliefs, if
labelled properly, would not fall under an umbrella called religion that
offers respect, tax shelters, etc.?  Is it wishful thinking on your part to
make it suddenly adhere to the definition via magic, or to suddenly change
the definition to make the erroneous inclusion more palatable?  One bland
assertion (or two) deserves another...

> So Rich, why is your attatchment to your definition of the word religion
> (the one you find in your dictionary) any better than a Christian's
> definition of the word God (the one he finds in his Bible)?

There's a *definition* of "God" in the Bible?  I don't think that's a book
that contains definitions of words.  The book does describe a specific
belief about what certain people (there I go again, Tim) believe to be a (the)
god.
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/21/85)

Rich,

People in religion departments all over the world are very interested
in religion. Christians have found that they have something in common
with Buddhists and with Hindus. The complement is also true. Suppose
you were able to forbid everyone to use the term ``religion'' unless
they believed your definition. Immediately the religion departments
have a problem. They are going to have to call themselves something
else! But picking a new word is a hassle. It should have been easier
to convince Rich Rosen that the word ``religion'' has been used to
describe Buddhists and Hindus for centuries, and that if he wants a
name that excludes them we have a wide variety from which he can
select. ``Theism'' is a good one, as is ``Judeao-Christian'' or
``Western Religion'' or even ``Aristotelian Religion'' (if you want
to use a phrase that the philosophers sometimes use but that the
religion departments, on the whole are not pleased with.)

If you don't want to use the technical words that religious scholars
have come up with, you may have to invent your own.

What you cannot do is take a word that already has a technical meaning
and say ``wow! some people don't believe this! you can't have that
meaning any more! what's more, you can't want it! How can you be
so crass as to let yourself be confused with those people?'' This is
akin to telling the botanists that they can't call tomatoes a fruit
because some people think it is a vegetable. After all, if you call it
a fruit then somebody will think that you are ignorant because they
``know'' that a tomato is a vegetable!

How can you know that the botanists are correct, and that the religion
scholars are wrong? I maintain that you can't. You simply accept one
definition and do not accept another. But you still haven't given
us a reason to change our beliefs to suit yours -- just more opinion
that your beliefs are somehow better. But I can gets lots of opinions
that you are simply obstinant in not either defining a new word, or
finding an existing one that means what you want to talk about.

Why do you assume that the people of various religions do not themselves see
they have something in common for any other reason than to confuse and be
obscure? Isn't this a paranoid assumption? Maybe, just maybe, they
know something about religion that you do not. Maybe, just maybe, you
could find out about it and then learn why it is that it is necessary to
have a word which encompasses both the theistic and non-theistic religions.
It isn't a big secret. If you spend even a short time at any religion
department of any university I know you will find people who are willing
to explain this to you -- assuming that you are willing to listen and
don't keep arguing with them all the time about whether they should be
allowed to use words as they have always used them. While you are
learning, I am sure that someone could point out to you that ``divine''
does not mean the same as ``god'' (at least to all people) and that
``worship'' does not imply a god that is the object of worship, or
any object of worship distinct from the self at all.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura