[net.religion] What is a religion: American Heritage exposed.

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (03/21/85)

OKAY, Rich, we've seen clearly that you firmly believe that ``religion''
only refers to deistic systems.

We've seen that your authority is the American Heritage Dictionary, and
you seem not to be interested in the definitions of other dictionaries.
(Even though the AmHer is not all *that* authoritative...)

But when I looked up Buddhism (a non-theistic whateverthehellitis) in
*my* copy of AmHer (1979), it states:

	Buddhism: 1. The doctrine atrributed to.... 2. The *religion* of
	eastern and central asia... (Emphasis is mine.)

And when I looked up Taoism in the same book

	Taoism: A principle philosophy and *religion* of China based on
	the teachings of Lao Tzu...

So, your own authority states that Buddhism and Taoism are
``religions'', and we already know that Buddhism and Taoism are non-
theistic, it follows that they must also be religions in the ``eyes'' of
the American Heritage dictionaries, and that religions do not then
involve a deity.

You know, Houghton-Mifflin has a department which handles errors;
you really ought to write them a letter about the bad definition of
religion.

Alternatively, you must argue now that Buddhism and Taoism *do*
have a deity; you must have a considerably better authority than
a dictionary for that to convince me, as I have been a Buddhist
for some years, have taught both Buddhist and Taoist religions at
college level, and have yeears of sutra-study.

Or, you can dredge up a definition from some other source that does
not class Buddhism as a religion.  But first, a challenge: look up
and type in unedited the definition of Buddhism from *your* copy
of the dictionary that you are using.

This sort of thing is why I stopped reading net.religion...

--
			Opinions stated here.

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/22/85)

> OKAY, Rich, we've seen clearly that you firmly believe that ``religion''
> only refers to deistic systems.
> We've seen that your authority is the American Heritage Dictionary, and
> you seem not to be interested in the definitions of other dictionaries.
> (Even though the AmHer is not all *that* authoritative...)

As I mentioned, compare the way AmHer (vs. Webster's) defines terms like
"scientism".  Webster's definition is clearly a biased judgmental one,
in which it is called "an exaggerated trust", something Wingate, who is
clearly biased against "scientism" might agree, but hardly qualifying as
unbiased.  Compare that to AmHer.  Also, compare the two dictionaries'
definitions of "miracle".

> But when I looked up Buddhism (a non-theistic whateverthehellitis) in
> *my* copy of AmHer (1979), it states:
> 	Buddhism: 1. The doctrine atrributed to.... 2. The *religion* of
> 	eastern and central asia... (Emphasis is mine.)
> And when I looked up Taoism in the same book
> 	Taoism: A principle philosophy and *religion* of China based on
> 	the teachings of Lao Tzu...

Thus, you've shown that the mislabelling I've referred to does exist.  If
a dictionary defined purple and mistakenly called turquoise a shade of purple,
would that make it so?

> You know, Houghton-Mifflin has a department which handles errors;
> you really ought to write them a letter about the bad definition of
> religion.

I'm not the one who thinks the definition of religion, either in the
dictionary or in common usage, is "bad".  Who is any of us to claim that
a common usage *definition* is "bad"?

> Alternatively, you must argue now that Buddhism and Taoism *do*
> have a deity; you must have a considerably better authority than
> a dictionary for that to convince me, as I have been a Buddhist
> for some years, have taught both Buddhist and Taoist religions at
> college level, and have yeears of sutra-study.

1) I make statements about religion in an article.
2) Laura says:  "Why did you make those comments when they don't apply to my
   religion, which doesn't have a god?"
3) I say: "I didn't make comments about your beliefs.  I was referring to
   religions, those belief systems which have worship/concepts of a supernatural
   deity."
4) Laura: "How dare you make those comments about my religion.  They're false.
   What's more my religion doesn't have a god!"
5) I go back to definitions.
6) You [Charlie Martin] and others:  but you're wrong in telling Laura that
   her belief system is not a religion.  In fact, it would seem that it fits
   the definition in the broad sense anyway."
7) Me:  "Fine.  If that's true, can we get back to the original discussion???"

> This sort of thing is why I stopped reading net.religion...

How do you stop reading it yet continue writing to it?  And in response to
something you haven't read (??)
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (03/25/85)

In article <742@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) writes:
>> But when I looked up Buddhism (a non-theistic whateverthehellitis) in
>> *my* copy of AmHer (1979), it states:
>> 	Buddhism: 1. The doctrine atrributed to.... 2. The *religion* of
>> 	eastern and central asia... (Emphasis is mine.)
>> And when I looked up Taoism in the same book
>> 	Taoism: A principle philosophy and *religion* of China based on
>> 	the teachings of Lao Tzu...
>
>Thus, you've shown that the mislabelling I've referred to does exist.  If
>a dictionary defined purple and mistakenly called turquoise a shade of purple,
>would that make it so?

	You're chasing your own tail here, Rich.  The only authority that
	I've seen from you for claiming that ``religion'' implies theism
	have been: 1) the dictionary definition, which we see clearly is
	inconsistent; 2) you speaking ex cathedra from your bellybutton.
	.(f trivia question: what is that a quotation from? .)f

	Clearly your dictionary has some mislabelling -- but the external
	evidence strongly suggests that it is in the single definition of
	``religion'' *not* in the word as it is defined everywhere else!

>> You know, Houghton-Mifflin has a department which handles errors;
>> you really ought to write them a letter about the bad definition of
>> religion.
>
>I'm not the one who thinks the definition of religion, either in the
>dictionary or in common usage, is "bad".  Who is any of us to claim that
>a common usage *definition* is "bad"?
	The common usage defintion is that Buddhism is a religion, as is
	Taoism, as is Christianity.
	... I admit my choice of ``bad'' was incorrect; make that
	``incorrect''.

>> Alternatively, you must argue now that Buddhism and Taoism *do*
>> have a deity; you must have a considerably better authority than
>> a dictionary for that to convince me, as I have been a Buddhist
>> for some years, have taught both Buddhist and Taoist religions at
>> college level, and have yeears of sutra-study.
>
>1) I make statements about religion in an article.
>2) Laura says:  "Why did you make those comments when they don't apply to my
>   religion, which doesn't have a god?"
>3) I say: "I didn't make comments about your beliefs.  I was referring to
>   religions, those belief systems which have worship/concepts of a supernatural
>   deity."
	You made global statements about religion which are not correct
	about Buddhism in particular; we believe Buddhism is a religion
	and we see that the word religion does indeed include Buddhism;
	maybe your statements are true about *theistic* religions?

>4) Laura: "How dare you make those comments about my religion.  They're false.
>   What's more my religion doesn't have a god!"
>5) I go back to definitions.
	Falsely.
>6) You [Charlie Martin] and others:  but you're wrong in telling Laura that
>   her belief system is not a religion.  In fact, it would seem that it fits
>   the definition in the broad sense anyway."
>7) Me:  "Fine.  If that's true, can we get back to the original discussion???"
	It's OK by me.  But how about we do so in definition that the rest
	of us agree on?

>> This sort of thing is why I stopped reading net.religion...
>
>How do you stop reading it yet continue writing to it?  And in response to
>something you haven't read (??)
	Well, no, I started reading again when Laura asked me to look back
	into it.  And I did read your message, just don't think I'm
	interested in the other points.

--
			Opinions stated here.

			Charlie Martin