[net.religion] The cheese connection

lew@ihlpa.UUCP (Lew Mammel, Jr.) (03/06/85)

The "cheeses" ditty reminds me of the beginning of LIFE OF BRIAN where
some people are listening at the edge of the crowd to The Sermon on the
Mount:

	Jesus: ...blessed are the peacemakers

	1st man: What did he say?

	2nd man: blessed are the cheesemakers.

	1st man: Cheesemakers? Why cheesemakers?

	3rd man: It's not meant literally! It refers to any manufacturer
		 of dairy products.

Incidentally, I didn't think LIFE OF BRIAN was sacrilegious at all.
It wasn't Jesus being mocked, only peoples' response to him.

Back to cheese, my mother always thought that the refrain "All we
like sheep, [have gone astray]" sounded like "Oh, we like cheese!"

Maybe we're on to something here.

	Lew Mammel, Jr. ihnp4!ihlpa!lew

ix415@sdcc6.UUCP (Rick Frey) (03/11/85)

> Incidentally, I didn't think LIFE OF BRIAN was sacrilegious at all.
> It wasn't Jesus being mocked, only peoples' response to him.

Not to be picky or over zealous, but in the movie, Brian (the character
representing Jesus) was portrayed as a normal guy who was simply (and
literally) picked up by the masses without any reason.  He fell on the
ledge where he "preached his first sermon" and his miracles and actions
were those of a normal, everyday person.  He tried to avoid the large
groups of people and he continually told them that he was nothing
special, but they wouldn't listen.  The movie gave me the definite
impression that they were making the statement that Christ was probably
just a normal guy whom the masses, through ignorance and misconception
vaulted into the spotlight.

Christ, however, claimed to be a Teacher from God and while many dispute
it, He claimed to be God.  He certainly never avoided teaching the
masses and the Bible tries to make it very clear that the miracles
atributed to Him were not ignorant people's dumb mistakes (i.e. the man
in the whole who hadn't spoken for 40 some odd years being healed by
Brian stepping on his foot and making him scream.)  The Bible teaches
that Christ was NOT just a popular teacher whose reputation was based
rumors and stories, the Bible claims that He had authority from God,
that He came from God, and that He was God.

While I must admit that many of the scenes in the movie were excellent
in their critique of people and their dealings with religion, the
underlying statement about Christ is definitely not in line with
Biblical teaching.  Forgive me if I'm being a kill joy.

				Rick (not Rich)

p.s. All I said was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah :-)

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (03/14/85)

How could someone who saw the movie "Life of Brian" claim that Brian
represented Christ?  In case you forgot, Christ is a character in the movie.
A separate character, portrayed as very wise and benevolent.  Sheesh!

Life of Brian is not about Christ, or about Christianity.  It is about
religions and followers, and the absurdities often perpetrated by religions
and followers.  Nothing else.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University, Networking
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/15/85)

> How could someone who saw the movie "Life of Brian" claim that Brian
> represented Christ?  In case you forgot, Christ is a character in the movie.
> A separate character, portrayed as very wise and benevolent.  Sheesh!
>
> Life of Brian is not about Christ, or about Christianity.  It is about
> religions and followers, and the absurdities often perpetrated by religions
> and followers.  Nothing else.  [TIM MARONEY]

I mentioned in a previous article that the original working idea for the film
"Life of Brian" was the story of Jesus and the advent of Christianity, hence
the original working title "Jesus Christ: Lust for Glory".  The notion of
substituting ANOTHER Jewish kid of the same time period who was mistaken for
the messiah was done to *placate* the potential distributors and backers of the
film (who probably wouldn't have touched "Jesus Christ: Lust for Glory" with a
ten foot cross).  Though the basis of the original idea was the advent of
Christianity, the points the movie made became more generalized.

P.S. to Tim:  read my last two articles to Laura with regard to definition of
religion.  If the same poll Laura took asked the question: "Is a tomato a
vegetable?", would the answer of the majority of people have any bearing on
whether or not it *is* one, given the accepted definition of a vegetable (and
of a fruit)?
--
"Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

rap@oliven.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (03/15/85)

.

>Christ, however, claimed to be a Teacher from God and while many dispute
>it, He claimed to be God.  He certainly never avoided teaching the
>masses and the Bible tries to make it very clear that the miracles
>atributed to Him were not ignorant people's dumb mistakes (i.e. the man
>in the whole who hadn't spoken for 40 some odd years being healed by
>Brian stepping on his foot and making him scream.)  The Bible teaches
>that Christ was NOT just a popular teacher whose reputation was based
>rumors and stories, the Bible claims that He had authority from God,
>that He came from God, and that He was God.
> [ From: ix415@sdcc6.UUCP (Rick Frey) ]

I'm sorry, what I remember is not that Jesus claimed to  be  God,  but
that  he was the "Son of Man" and the "Son of God" and he claimed that
"I and the Father are one".  Now I don't interpet the last as  meaning
that they were identical, but united.  After all, the part about a man
and his wife leaving their parents and joining together "as one flesh"
was a figure of speech too.
--

					Robert A. Pease
    {hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!rap

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (03/16/85)

In article <1959@sdcc6.UUCP> ix415@sdcc6.UUCP (Rick Frey) writes:
>Not to be picky or over zealous, but in the movie, Brian (the character
>representing Jesus) was portrayed as a normal guy who was simply (and
>literally) picked up by the masses without any reason.

What movie did you see?  In the version of "Life of Brian" I saw, the
character representing Jesus was not Brian, but someone preaching on
a mountain.  He looked the the Jesus we see in paintings, said the things
that Jesus is quoted as saying in the Bible, and otherwise seemed just
like Jesus as one would expect to see him.  I thought he was portrayed
quite accurately, even though it was a small part.

Brain, on the other hand, was picked up by some very silly people, who
twisted what he said.  He was also saved from certain death by the
coincidental appearance of a flying saucer.

By the way, it is a fact that at the time which Jesus appeared, there
were many other people claiming or claimed to be the messiah.  The people
of that time were looking for a deliverer, and saw many.  The movie was
reasonable accurate about that.  That Jesus is the Son of God (if that
is what you believe) has nothing to do with this.
--
Ken Arnold

ee161ant@sdcc13.UUCP (ee161ant) (03/17/85)

> >Christ, however, claimed to be a Teacher from God and while many dispute
> >it, He claimed to be God.

> I'm sorry, what I remember is not that Jesus claimed to  be  God,  but
> that  he was the "Son of Man" and the "Son of God" and he claimed that
> "I and the Father are one".  Now I don't interpet the last as  meaning
> that they were identical, but united.  After all, the part about a man
> and his wife leaving their parents and joining together "as one flesh"
> was a figure of speech too.
> --
>
> 					Robert A. Pease

I was hoping that my comments on the movie might provoke a statement of
this type and I'm glad for the chance to talk about a topic that I feel
is very worth while and one that I feel can actually be resolved.
     One problem in trying to show that Christ claimed to be God is that
the only available source for support is the Bible.  For some people
this would pose an insoluable problem because they do not accept that
the Bible accurately records what Christ really said.  But, if you are
willing to accept that the statements attributed to Christ and the
opinions voiced by the apostles are for the most part 'authentic' then
there is an excellent basis for beginning this discussion.
     While I am sure there are many more, there are at least five good
points that show fairly clearly (with as little interpreting as
possible) that Christ claimed to be God.  The first point that can be
made concerns the titles claimed by Christ.  I will try to be as clear
as I can when using fairly obscure Biblical references and as often as
possible I will refer to the wording presented in the original texts
(i.e. the Hebrew or the Greek). In Isaiah 41:4, 44:6 and 48:12 God
claims to be the first and the last.  God specifically claims that there
is no one else who is like Him in this respect (44:6).  However, in the
book of Revelation, Christ twice claims to be the first and the last,
the alpha and the omega. (Rev 1:17, 22:13)  In John 8:58 Christ uses the
title "I Am" (in Hebrew YHWH or YaHWeh).  In Exodus 3:14, God said that
I am, or YHWH was His name forever.  And the Jews, both when Christ made
this statement and the one you referred to in John 10:30 picked up
stones to stone Him.  When Christ asked why, they replied, "because you,
being a man make yourself out *to be* God."  At least in the minds of
the Jews it was very clear who Christ was claiming to be.
     A second point concerns another claim that Christ made.  In John
10:28 Christ claims that He gives eternal life to His 'sheep' and that
no one can snatch them out of His hand.  But in Isaiah 45:17 God says
that He alone provides eternal life and that He alone can guard His
people.  This claim of Christ's is important because if Christ isn't God
then how can He give eternal life and how can He protect His sheep.  If
Christ is just another man or even a prophet, why would He claim to give
eternal life, or why would Christ say later, in John 14:6, "I am the way,
the truth and the life.  No man comes to the Father but by me."
     Another title or priveledge in this case that Christ usurped
concerned Isaiah 45:23.  God says, "that to me every knee will bow and
every tongue swear alegiance."  But in Philipians 2:10 Paul says, "that
at the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow ... and every tongue confess
that Jesus Christ is Lord."  Paul also calls Christ his savior, along
with John, Titus and most of the other apostles (2 Timothy 1:10, 1 John
4:14, 2 Peter 2:11, Titus 2:13) whereas in the Old Testament, God claims
to be the only savior and redeemer (Isaiah 43:11, 49:26)
     Perhaps one of the clearest statements that can be made in
asserting Christ's claim to deity can be seen through a comparison of
Christ's statements and actions.  In Mathew 4:10 Christ says to Satan,
"you shall worship the Lord your God and serve Him only."  But in Mathew
9:38 and again in Mathew 28:9 people fall down at Christ's feet and
worship Him and He doesn't say anything.  There are numerous examples of
Angels telling people who tried to worship them to get up and in Acts
10:25 a man named Cornelius tried to worship Peter and Peter told him to
stop.  But Christ accepted the worship and commended His disciples for
doing so.
     The last clear example is taken from a Book entitled "Kingdom of
the Cults", by Walter Martin.  If you or anyone for that matter is
interested in a really intense, scholarly and brief analysis of the
deity of Jesus Christ, it is in a section on how to support the doctirne
of Christ's divinity on pages 73-87.  Anyhow, the author, Dr. Martin,
uses the passage where Thomas confesses his belief in Christ.
     "John 20:28 o Theos mou, literally the God of me or my God
siginifies Jehovahistic identity and since it is in possession of the
definite article (a grammatical point that many people have argued is
essential for it to be truly referring to 'God') it must therefore mean
"the only true God." ... Now let us reflect as sober individuals.  If
Thomas called the risen Christ Jehovah (o Kurios mou kai o Theos mou
transation: my Lord and my God) and Christ did not deny it but confirmed
it by saying (verse 29) "Because thou hast seen me thou hast believed",
there is no juggling of the text in context that can offset the basic
thought, namely that Jesus Christ is Jehovah God."
     While this by no means exhausts the arguments that can be made in
support of Christ's claims to divinity, I would hope that these
have shown that Christ specifically and implicitly claimed to be not
only the Son of God, but to be God.  This is a crucial point in
discussing the Bible because so many people want a Jesus who was simply
a good teacher or a prophet or whatever fits into there nice little mold
but Christ tried to make it farily clear.  If this hasn't convinced you
or anyone out there (you mean I haven't solved the entire question of
Christianity??) please write back and we can hopefully hammer this issue
out and actually get to some level of resolution.

			Rick (not Rich)  ix415@sdcc6.UUCP

"For in Him (Christ) all the fulness of deity dwells in bodily form"
Collossians 2:9

larryg@teklds.UUCP (Larry Gardner) (03/23/85)

Jesus said that if you say Him you had seen the Father.

He also claimed to be I AM in John.

karen

mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) (03/27/85)

> Jesus said that if you say Him you had seen the Father.
>
> He also claimed to be I AM in John.
>
> karen

Hey sometimes I claim I AM IN JOHN too!
--