[net.religion] reply to Dave Trissel

david@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (03/22/85)

>From: davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel)

>[David Harwood]
>
>  My feeling
>  is that everyone who sincerely wants to know whether there is a God
>  will be given sufficient reason for faith, but that not everyone is
>  sincere. You have only to look around to see that many lord it over
>  the others -- in their hearts, they would presume the place of God.
>  They hardly want to find out that they were wrong.

Please step back David and look at what you are saying.  You are making a
bold claim that everyone who doesn't believe in your version of a God is
insincere.  Do you really think that?  What about someone like myself
who grew up a dedicated Christian but when confronted with the contradictions
involved chose to honestly face what reality was instead of blindly clinging
to earlier beliefs in God.  And it was very painfull.  I didn't WANT to change
my beliefs.  It was much more psychologically confortable not to have to.
But there was something within me, a yearning for Truth, that forced me to
be honest and accept the consequences of being honest.

	I'm sorry if I have offended you; but I did not insist upon
anything, certainly not, as you suggest, that others must "believe in
my version," unless they would be "insincere". I have several Christian
and Jewish and Hindu friends, as well as some who are not "religious",
who are usually sincere, but disagree with me all the time. (But my friends
are very good-hearted and open-minded; and simply because we have cultural
and personal prejudices does not mean that we are insincere.)
	You have cast my words with an intention which is not mine, but
which I understand to be related to your own experience. It is you,
apparently, who now thinks that belief in God is self-deception, and
evasion of the truth; but if you think this about your former self, then do
you think this about others also? You might say that we are "self-deceiving",
just as you may believe that I say that others are not "sincere".
	Actually, I never doubted that there are those who are sincerely
unbelieving. But I was talking about what experience was necessary for one
who would be faithful, if only he did believe that God exists; I was not
talking about "intellectual sincerity", but about "religious sincerity".
My point is that God provides us with enough evidence for the faith
we would sincerely desire, except for the struggle with our doubts;
nevertheless, He does not compel us to assent to what we would not desire.
	From what you have said about yourself, while you are intellectually
sincere, like my friends, you do not now desire faith, even though you may
want to see compelling evidence. But we may say that God provides for our
hearts' victory, rather than for its assent.
	Is this my opinion only? I remember that Jesus said to Pilate,
"It is for this reason that I have come into the world. And all who will
hear the truth, they shall hear my voice." But Pilate said, "What is
truth?" then turned away.
	My question is -- Was Pilate sincere? Yes and no. Pilate may
have been intellectually sincere, as skepticism is often so called, and
might have assented to evidence, which Jesus did not provide, but he
certainly had no religious desire to know the truth, and would need be
compelled, having no sincere desire to know the will of God.
	I think we can agree that Pilate had no sincere religious desire
to know whether Jesus was telling the truth. As he said, "Am I a Jew?"
The attitude of most unbelievers is the same: "Am I a Christian (or Jew)?"
They do not suppose that they would want to be. But they demand evidence.

Back in my earlier years I would have said just what you did.  So I very well
understand why you said it.  But I suggest that you examine the damages your
belief system holds as well as its advantages.  Do you think it beneficial
that you feel justified in labeling millions of people insincere just because
they don't accept the same concepts as you do?

If there were ever to be such a thing as a judgement day, I wouldn't be
afraid.  Since God supposedly sees into the heart, He/She would know I've
dealt with the issues of Her/His existence with all integrity and openness.

Dave Trissel                    {seismo,gatech,ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

	Do we disagree? I'm sure that God is not less merciful than we are,
and that no one is condemned simply because he is mistaken. Besides, my
concern is not our judgement by God in an afterlife; it is what should we
do in this life. If we destroy this "world in the hand", why should we
be given some other "in the bush"? Simply because we profess to believe
a formula, e.g. "Jesus is the Christ."? As Jesus said about those who
are insincere, "Why do you call me 'Lord', and not do what I say?" No,
even though they may assent intellectually to the right formulae, I believe
they are hypocrites, even as he said.
	A great many people are not sincere; you have only to watch
television to see what is our popular culture. How sincerely "Christian",
acting in the spirit of Christ, is a nation that spends 100 times as much
for military purposes (now 50+% of the budget, for past, present, and
proposed wars) as it does on purely non-military, uninvested foreign
assistance to poor nations. Is "mutually assured destruction" an advice
of the Gospel? Are we told by Jesus that we we should indefinitely secure
an incredible peace on Earth with probable horror -- with threats of
horrifying retaliation against hundreds of millions of the innocent,
who have no military ambitions and no real political authority?
Even if we should be destroyed by nuclear weapons tomorrow, how could
could anyone sincerely justify retaliation, in the name of Christ?
	I understand that you believe that I am prejudging those
intellectually honest unbelievers, but I am not. All I said about
them was that if they were sincere (wanting to know God so that they
might do his will), then I believe they will be given sufficient
reason for faith. I was an unbeliever, and yet I was honest more
than most; nevertheless I was also full of pride; do you think I
would get on my knees and sincerely pray to God for what He wanted
rather than what I wanted? Sincerity is not an intellectual exercise;
it is an exercise of will. Someone who simply wants God to prove His
existence, without the desire to do His will, is not sincere. He is
simply testing God, which is not to be done.
	Finally, I don't believe that we are condemned or acquited
according to "labels" or what we profess to believe. We often do not
fully understand even what we profess to believe. As you say, it is
God who judges our hearts. In the beginning of Luke, it is prophesized
to Mary about the infant Jesus, that Christ would be a sign that would
be rejected, come to judge even her own thoughts as well as those of
others. And in the Letter to the Hebrews, it is said that the word
of the Lord is sharper than any sword, penetrating our very souls.
Certainly, I did also reject Jesus as Christ, and my arrogance was,
in that very instant, made plain to me. As it was also to Paul on
the road to Damascus. So sure of ourselves, we were wrong about him.
	It seems to me more important than what we profess to believe
is whether we actually do want to live as God would have us, and as
Jesus has shown us the way. If an unbeliever would live as Christ has
shown us, charitably without violence and hypocrisy, then he is living
as God would have us live. The matter of his professed faith seems
to be far less important. As John says, we are known by our love for
one another, even as He has loved us.

	I believe that your reply was honest. Perhaps I can
recommend to you and others some things to read which may change
your religious views considerably, if you really want:

	the Anchor Bible translation of the Gospel of John, trans. by
		Raymond Brown, 2 volumes with very extensive commentary;
	Guide for the Perplexed, by Moses Maimonides;
	Tolstoi's autobiographical "My Confession";
	the "Journal" of George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends.

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (03/26/85)

In article <197@cvl.UUCP> david@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) writes:

>>[David Harwood]
>>
>>  My feeling
>>  is that everyone who sincerely wants to know whether there is a God
>>  will be given sufficient reason for faith, but that not everyone is
>>  sincere. ...

> [Me]
>Please step back David and look at what you are saying.  You are making a
>bold claim that everyone who doesn't believe in your version of a God is
>insincere.  ...
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>	I'm sorry if I have offended you; but I did not insist upon
>anything, certainly not, as you suggest, that others must "believe in
>my version," unless they would be "insincere". ...
>       You have cast my words with an intention which is not mine, ...

I apologize if such is the case.  But your first sentence certainly stated
you believe (substituting 'x' for 'y') that I "will be given sufficient reason
for faith" since I am sincere.  I challenge that as being not only
presumptuous but condescending.  It presumes that there is only one "correct"
way to view reality, and that if another person had all the evidence that you
did and was honest they would reach the same conclusions as yourself.

>                                                ........ It is you,
>apparently, who now thinks that belief in God is self-deception, and
>evasion of the truth; but if you think this about your former self, then do
>you think this about others also? You might say that we are "self-deceiving",
>just as you may believe that I say that others are not "sincere".

Not at all.  I don't see how any given belief system in and of itself proves
that its believer is self-deceived. It doesn't matter whether its in regards
to religion or Santa Claus.  Only if contradicting facts are ignored
or intentionally misinterpreted would self-deception come into play.  Children
who think Santa Clause is real are certainly not self-deceived.  They have
ample evidence to support their own convictions.  They just don't have the
sophistication as yet in their world concepts to rule Santa as an absurdity.

Growing up a devout Christian I was not self-deceived.  I honestly thought
that my concepts were correct and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt.  But,
later when I had reason to start questioning some of my basic assumptions
some self-deception crept in in that I first tried ignoring things or twisted
their implications around to fit my world-view.  However, If I claimed to now
be a Christian I would be either a liar or self deceived given my present
understanding of reality.

Conversely, I am sure that many Christians, including yourself, honestly
believe in their religion and find that it provides them many benefits.
In my opinion, the culprits are those of any persuasion that fail to question
their beliefs.  This leads to dogmatism and intolerance and it occurs
with atheists as well as Christians.

>	From what you have said about yourself, while you are intellectually
>sincere, like my friends, you do not now desire faith, even though you may
>want to see compelling evidence. ...

I do not "desire faith" nor "not desire faith."  I do not "want to see
compelling evidence" nor "not want to see compelling evidence."  I just want
to strive for an ever more accurate understanding of "Life, the Universe,
and Everything."  If this includes a God then fine.  If it doesn't, then fine.
If it means I will survive bodily death then fine.  If when I die, I die then
fine. I am determined to face reality whatever I find it to be.  However,
for me, I found my earlier beliefs unsatifactory and shallow.  My search
has led me to different water, water more intellectually and spritually
satisfying.

>       Is this my opinion only? I remember that Jesus said to Pilate,
>"It is for this reason that I have come into the world. And all who will
>hear the truth, they shall hear my voice." But Pilate said, "What is
>truth?" then turned away.
>	My question is -- Was Pilate sincere? Yes and no. Pilate may
>have been intellectually sincere, as skepticism is often so called, and
>might have assented to evidence, which Jesus did not provide, but he
>certainly had no religious desire to know the truth, and would need be
>compelled, having no sincere desire to know the will of God.

The contrast between intellectual truth and religious desire here is interest-
ing.  The problem I see here is that this implies that an intellectual search
for truth is not sufficient for the investigation of religion and its eventual
acceptance.  Since this has many important ramifications it would
be prudent to support this with some evidence.

  It seems that you suggest that a "leap of faith" be made before God
can be revealed.  If so, that puts me in a difficult situation.  Since I grew
up with the "leap of faith" already made, that means that either I am now
ignoring the truths of my earlier religion, or that I never experienced the
truths it had to offer at all.  I am sure that neither of these statements
are accurate.

>       I think we can agree that Pilate had no sincere religious desire
>to know whether Jesus was telling the truth. As he said, "Am I a Jew?"
>The attitude of most unbelievers is the same: "Am I a Christian (or Jew)?"
>They do not suppose that they would want to be. But they demand evidence.

But isn't this natural?  I'm sure that you didn't just jump to Christianity
without any reason of some sort.  Certainly you must have had some "evidence"
that Christianity was worth the "leap of faith."   I'm sure many others
besides myself would be interested in hearing how you came to believe what
you do.  And maybe to balance the picture, I should show why I had to let go
of my religious beliefs.

>       A great many people are not sincere; you have only to watch
>television to see what is our popular culture. How sincerely "Christian",
>acting in the spirit of Christ, is a nation that spends 100 times as much
>for military purposes (now 50+% of the budget, for past, present, and
>proposed wars) as it does on purely non-military, ....

I agree completely here.  I wonder just how many "Christians" of today would
still be in the flock if Jesus' sayings were literally followed.  How many
would gladly give up their wealth to the poor and spend their time sharing
love to those around them like Mother Teresa.

>    .............I  was an unbeliever, and yet I was honest more
>than most; nevertheless I was also full of pride; do you think I
>would get on my knees and sincerely pray to God for what He wanted
>rather than what I wanted? Sincerity is not an intellectual exercise;
>it is an exercise of will. Someone who simply wants God to prove His
>existence, without the desire to do His will, is not sincere. He is
>simply testing God, which is not to be done.

I find it fascinating that my story is just the reverse of yours.  With very
minor changes it rings true for me:  I was a believer, and yet I was honest
more than most, nevertheless I was also full of pride.  Do you think I would
get down on my knees as a devoted Christian and sincerely pray to God for what
He wanted.  After all, I already knew what God wanted and what He thinks since
the Bible tells me everything and is perfect.  Satan will cause me to doubt
and will use my intellect against me, therefore it cannot be trusted.
I must not doubt God, for that would be testing Him.

Incidently, aren't there several places in the Bible where men "tested" God?
Just to name a few, Abraham saying "if only 50 good men don't destroy the
city" followed by "45" then "40" etc.  Also the "test ye the spirits to know
if they be of God."  These and others would seem to tell us that we *should*
test God.  Often it seems that some Christians confuse 'testing' God to
'tempting' God.

Yet another statement you make should be 'turned around' to apply to some
Christians as well--

> My feeling is that everyone who sincerely wants to know whether there is
> a God will be given sufficient reason for faith, but that not everyone is
> sincere.  You have only to look around to see that many lord it over
> the others -- in their hearts, they would presume the place of God.
> They hardly want to find out that they were wrong.

By replacing the phrase "for faith" with "for doubt" an interesting juxtapos-
ition occurs.  Many presume God and hardly want to find out that they were
wrong.  It cuts both ways.

>....... And in the Letter to the Hebrews, it is said that the word
>of the Lord is sharper than any sword, penetrating our very souls.
>Certainly, I did also reject Jesus as Christ, and my arrogance was,
>in that very instant, made plain to me. As it was also to Paul on
>the road to Damascus. So sure of ourselves, we were wrong about him.

To me, I have found certain "truths" penetrate sharper than any sword,
combining both intuition with reason producing a powerful form of
enlightenment, understanding and reaching needs otherwise unfulfilled.
When I was a Christian I was so sure of myself.  Now I'm less sure, but
more realistic in my determination of what I know.  Now I'm free.  Free to
let the Universe unfold itself within and without me and I don't have to
force any of my interpretation into a restrictive religious mold.

Does either of our experiences invalidate the other?  I don't think so.
I believe they are at some level one and the same.  My being "less sure" may
be related to your "struggle with our doubts" mentioned in your last posting.

>	I believe that your reply was honest. Perhaps I can
>recommend to you and others some things to read which may change
>your religious views considerably, .....

After 15 years of reading I would be suprized to find any new revolutionary
ideas which would change my veiws considerably -- but the search for deeper
truths beckons.  I will indeed check into these books.  Even minor new dis-
coveries are always refreshing.

In any case, thank you for your reply.  One of the great benefits of the net
is the wide variety of viewpoints encountered.

Dave Trissel                 {seismo,ihnp4,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (03/28/85)

--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"And Frith made the world"