[net.religion] net.religion.eastern

jeff@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeffrey Jongeward) (03/27/85)

How 'bout a newsgroup net.religion.eastern for discussions relating
to non-christian, eastern religions - zen/ch'an, nichiren shoshu,
and other buddhist sects, hinduism, taoism, etc.  Sort of for
everything non-christian from India eastward to the Pacific?

Would anyone (besides myself) contribute to such a group?

amra@ihu1n.UUCP (s. aldrich) (03/28/85)

> How 'bout a newsgroup net.religion.eastern for discussions relating
> to non-christian, eastern religions - zen/ch'an, nichiren shoshu,
> and other buddhist sects, hinduism, taoism, etc.  Sort of for
> everything non-christian from India eastward to the Pacific?
>
> Would anyone (besides myself) contribute to such a group?

{You unlock this door with the key to imagination.....}

   I second your suggestion for the creation (evolution :-) of net.rel.east!

   THis could prove to be a very useful group for Calm,Rational discussion
  of "eastern" philosophies and/or religions in my opinion. I am more than
  willing to contribute material to such a group if it exists.

   Peace & Best Wishes
 From The Resident Zen-Baptist:
  Steve Aldrich (ihnp4!ihu1n!amra)

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (03/30/85)

(I don't think my initial message got out.)

A newsgroup would probably be inferior to a mailing list if you want
thoughtful and polite discussion.  There are already two religious mailing
lists, the Christian one run by Liz Allen and the New Age one run by me.
Both seem pretty successful, and the members seems to be fairly pleased with
them as they are.

Incidentally, discussion of Buddhism, Taoism, etc., are welcome on the New
Age mailing list, but they are not its primary focus.  If you set up an
Eastern religions mailing list, I'll start referring any appropriate
submissions to the New Age list over to the Eastern list instead.  (The
reason they are there now is because the same people tend to be interested
in both, due to the strong mystical tradition in Eastern religions.)
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University, Networking
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"