[net.religion] More on biblical incest

cher@ihlpm.UUCP (Mike Cherepov) (03/30/85)

> > When God took away his permission to commit incest - how
> > could it have been done? ....
> > When did this major change of policies took place?
> > How was the announcement made?
> > I do not, to be sure, expect you to have exact answers, but
> > rather would be interested in opinion of modern theology.
>

>   The first time that incest is referred to in the Bible is in Leviticus
>   chap.20. Here, God is giving Isreal the Law. The Law strictly forbids
>   any act of incest. Up until that time, God never addressed the issue.
>
>   So as you see, God did not impose a sudden change of heart and a
>   consequent new Law on the world, but mercifully presented the solution
>   to a serious problem. This problem of course was brought on by mankinds
>
> 					    Dan Boskovich

These are the pieces of rather informative reply, but I was asking
about technical details:
When God announced the new policy some folks must have been married
to their siblings. What happened to those couples? Were they
given exemption and allowed to continue with their lifestyle?
Or... You know what I mean.
Also, as we know, animals do not do those things any more.
They must have been producing offspring with members of their
brood who happened to be of opposite sex.
Not anymore. Was it direct God's intervention that influenced them?
They could not have had same problems as humans - their genes
were not negatively affected by Adam's sin.

Any theories on that?
                            Mike Cherepov

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (04/02/85)

In article <202@ihlpm.UUCP> cher@ihlpm.UUCP (Mike Cherepov) writes:
>> > When God took away his permission to commit incest - how
>> > could it have been done? ....
>> > When did this major change of policies took place?
>> > How was the announcement made?
>> > I do not, to be sure, expect you to have exact answers, but
>> > rather would be interested in opinion of modern theology.
>>

>>   The first time that incest is referred to in the Bible is in Leviticus
>>   chap.20. Here, God is giving Isreal the Law. The Law strictly forbids
>>   any act of incest. Up until that time, God never addressed the issue.
>>
>>   So as you see, God did not impose a sudden change of heart and a
>>   consequent new Law on the world, but mercifully presented the solution
>>   to a serious problem. This problem of course was brought on by mankinds
>>
>> 					    Dan Boskovich
>
>These are the pieces of rather informative reply, but I was asking
>about technical details:
>When God announced the new policy some folks must have been married
>to their siblings. What happened to those couples? Were they
>given exemption and allowed to continue with their lifestyle?
>Or... You know what I mean.

 Because the bible is silent concerning this question, it would seem
 that they would be given exemption. Only four hundred years earlier
 God had promised to Abraham to make him a great nation. This would be
 accomplished through his wife Sarah, who happened to be his half-sister!
 God's character would never allow him to break up a marriage, as
 God hates divorce! The new law would be from that point on!

>Also, as we know, animals do not do those things any more.
>They must have been producing offspring with members of their
>brood who happened to be of opposite sex.
>Not anymore. Was it direct God's intervention that influenced them?
>They could not have had same problems as humans - their genes
>were not negatively affected by Adam's sin.

 Adams sin resulted in a world-curse. See Gen.3. The ground was cursed
 and all of creation became different. To what extent is impossible to
 know! But one example is that Adam seemed to have a intimate relationship
 with the animals. Not a sexual one, but a friendship. This was lost
 after the curse. During the Mellinium, the period Christ will reign on
 earth from Jerusalem, the lion shall lie down with the lamb, or they
 shall be friendly. This is also a direct contrast to animal life today!
 I can elaborate on this if you would like, but the point is that Adams
 sin did effect animal life, the ground (plant life), and essentially the
 entire world.

					  Dan