[net.religion] Don Black, Nazis, and the amazing disappearing Holocaust

russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence) (03/27/85)

Oddly enough, some of the Don Black "Nazism" articles have slipped past my
admittedly liberal 'n' key finger.  I've been thinking about such things
lately  and would like to put in my 2 cents worth.

I had heard of Zundle and the others who claim that the holocaust never
happened, quite a while ago.  I tend to think that these people are just
admirers of Hitler and the Nazis who don't have enough guts to fess up to
the actions of the Nazis.  Actually, having just finished reading *Mein
Kampf* I would have been disappointed if Hitler HADN'T tried to kill all
of the Jews.

Was Hitler wrong in killing the Jews?  Well, history has already made that
judgement,  he lost the war.  Therefore, even by his standards he can be
judged a failure and in the wrong.  Is he wrong JUST because he exterminated
6 million Jews?  That one is tougher.  Sure the simple answer is that genocide
is evil and since Hitler tried to kill all of the Jews, he is evil too.
This is a very nice and simple answer. It has the added benefit that it removes
from the listener any responsibility to THINK.  However, the truth is that
the issue of the phenomena of Nazism is much more complex and still deserves
more objective study.

What pisses me off is that since Hitler did commit this "atrocity", people
use that as an excuse to remove their own guilt for things that they did during
the war.
Hey, how about a little quiz?

Which country is the only country to use atomic weapons on fellow human
being?
What is the name of the country that in World War II fire-bombed Dresden
for three day when it knew that Dresden didn't have any significant war
industry?
Which "freedom-loving" country suspended the civil rights of a group of
citizens simply because ethnically they were of Japanese origin?

Of course people will say, "Oh, but look what Hitler did to the Jews!!".
This makes me sick.  Does that make what we did right?  I think that you
all know the answer to that.  But, my, isn't it ironic that the people who have
gotten the most mileage out of the holocaust are the Jews?  They got their
own state out of it and the support of the United States since it's
creation.  And, my, look at all of the wonderful things that they have
done in Lebanon and the Middle East in general!  But hey, you can't
criticize them.  Oh, no, look what Hitler did to them.  The U.S. withdraw
support!!  No, we can't do that, look at all the problems they've had!

Personally I have alot more respect for Hitler and the Nazis than I do for
the Jews.   The Jews were just victims.  At least the Nazis had ideals
for which they willing to fight and die for and yes even commit "atrocities"
for.  Which of the three do you think takes more courage?

But isn't it so much easier to close your eyes, condemn the Nazis (who will
argue with you?) and pretend that Hitler was insane?

---------------------
[The following is reprinted without permission from the Chicago Tribune.
 "Our 'good neighbors'" by Peter Gorner.  Feb. 17, 1985]

Romanian Orthodox Bishop Viorel Trifa...had been a leader of the
viciously anti-semitic Romanian fascist Iron Guard and as a newspaper
editor in Bucharest, had incited his countrymen to the 1941 riot in which
Jewish men, women and children where skinned alive and left hanging on
meat hooks in a slaughterhouse.
 Before being deported to Portugal last year, Trifa complained to the press
that he was a victim of the times.  "The point was to revive the Holocaust,"
he said, "But all this talk by the Jews about the Holocaust is going to
backfire - against the Jews.  Something," he says darkly, "will be done."
 Such a telling response is unusual, Ryan says.  Most of the people he
prosecuted have admitted to nothing.  The lack of contrition, he says, began
to haunt him in 1981 when he proved that John Demjanjuk, a Cleveland automaker,
was in truth "Ivan the Terrible," the infamous Ukrainian sadist who manned the
pumps for the Nazi gas chamber at the Treblinka killing camp.
 "He was absolutely impassive in court," Ryan says, "His family didn't know
about his past.  They were being tortured every day.  The evidence was over-
whelming.  I was looking for some sign... some acknowledgement... some
conscience.  But there was nothing.
 "Demjanjuk was not special, no more unique than a cockroach. But the Nazi
attitude he represents is significant.  In his smug silence he was telling us
something: 'I did it once and got way with it. I won't explain how or why,
for if I did, you might understand it a little better than you did before
and learn how to recognize it better when it rears its head again.'"
--

						Russell Spence
				(new path ->)	ihnp4!ihuxf!russ

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (03/27/85)

> Personally I have alot more respect for Hitler and the Nazis than I do for
> the Jews.   The Jews were just victims.  At least the Nazis had ideals
> for which they willing to fight and die for and yes even commit "atrocities"
> for.  Which of the three do you think takes more courage?
>
> But isn't it so much easier to close your eyes, condemn the Nazis (who will
> argue with you?) and pretend that Hitler was insane?
> 						Russell Spence
> 				(new path ->)	ihnp4!ihuxf!russ

    I searched for a :-) in this article.  I didn't find one.  Apparently
now we have *two* of them on the net.  *sigh*
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (03/28/85)

In article <> russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence) writes:

> Actually, having just finished reading *Mein
>Kampf* I would have been disappointed if Hitler HADN'T tried to kill all
>of the Jews.
>Was Hitler wrong in killing the Jews?  Well, history has already made that
>judgement,  he lost the war.  Therefore, even by his standards he can be
>judged a failure and in the wrong.  Is he wrong JUST because he exterminated
>6 million Jews?  That one is tougher.

Yes, this one's a real toughie, so let's warm up on an easier one,
recently posed by Don Black.  Are the Jews living today responsible
in part for the crucifixion of Christ?  At first glance, this appears
to be one of those insoluble legal conundrums, but then we recall
that in most courts of law, it is considered an extenuating
circumstance if the crime was committed 1,900 years before the birth
of the alleged perpetrators.  So I would have to say, pending further
reflection and the appearance of additional witnesses and/or
evidence, that living Jews such as my apartment-mate George cannot be
held fully responsible for the death of Christ.  (George denies any
involvement, but what did you expect.  Hey, you want I should torture
him to make him confess?)

Now, back to the original question:

>Sure the simple answer is that genocide
>is evil and since Hitler tried to kill all of the Jews, he is evil too.
>This is a very nice and simple answer.

Incredibly simplistic.  It's amazing the way people will jump to
conclusions and jump all over a guy just because he tries to wipe out
a race or ethnic group.  It's sad that there is such prejudice in the
world.  Look, sometimes it's just an honest mistake, and people make
mistakes, right?  Well, anyway, I have thunk and thunk about whether
Hitler was wrong JUST because he exterminated 6 million Jews, but I
still can't get a handle on this one.  Maybe if some of the best net
brains put their heads together we can get somewhere with this
question.  Any ideas out there?

Richard Carnes, Legion of the Iron Fist
Marching in your neighborhood soon!

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (03/28/85)

>>> Actually, having just finished reading *Mein
>>>Kampf* I would have been disappointed if Hitler HADN'T tried to kill all
>>>of the Jews.
>>>Was Hitler wrong in killing the Jews?  Well, history has already made that
>>>judgement,  he lost the war.  Therefore, even by his standards he can be
>>>judged a failure and in the wrong.  Is he wrong JUST because he exterminated
>>>6 million Jews?  That one is tougher.  [RUSS SPENCE]

>> Yes, this one's a real toughie, so let's warm up on an easier one,
>> recently posed by Don Black.  Are the Jews living today responsible
>> in part for the crucifixion of Christ?  At first glance, this appears
>> to be one of those insoluble legal conundrums, but then we recall
>> that in most courts of law, it is considered an extenuating
>> circumstance if the crime was committed 1,900 years before the birth
>> of the alleged perpetrators.  So I would have to say, pending further
>> reflection and the appearance of additional witnesses and/or
>> evidence, that living Jews such as my apartment-mate George cannot be
>> held fully responsible for the death of Christ.  (George denies any
>> involvement, but what did you expect.  Hey, you want I should torture
>> him to make him confess?)   [RICHARD CARNES]

I saw no smileys in either article, so I have to be appalled that even the
thought of blaming the death of Jesus on the *Jewish* *people* even crosses
the minds of modern Christians.  As Carnes says above, "Oh, I don't know if
we can still blame them today, but they WERE responsible for it originally,
no?"  Saying "but gee, my roommate is Jewish" isn't the point".  Nor is
whether or not the whole article was submitted with sarcasm in mind.  The
point is, as Wingate showed us himself, that anti-Semitism, though perhaps
of a variety more subliminal than it is vicious/overt, is still a prominent
piece of the mindset of many modern Christians, as reinforced (also
perhaps not "overtly") by religious teaching.  This makes it all the more
important to debunk people like Black and his Nazi literature, because,
despite Dave Brown's pacifist cheekturning ("It's <1% of the population"),
there are historical lessons about such vocal minorities that have gone
unlearned.  Since the seeds of such beliefs are apparently already in place
(e.g., "the Jews as a people killed Jesus, and we are now thinking, even if
in a joking way, about whether or not today's Jews are responsible"), it's
not hard for fascist propaganda to work its way into the mainstream line of
thought.

>>Sure the simple answer is that genocide
>>is evil and since Hitler tried to kill all of the Jews, he is evil too.
>>This is a very nice and simple answer.

> Incredibly simplistic.  It's amazing the way people will jump to
> conclusions and jump all over a guy just because he tries to wipe out
> a race or ethnic group.  It's sad that there is such prejudice in the
> world.  Look, sometimes it's just an honest mistake, and people make
> mistakes, right?  Well, anyway, I have thunk and thunk about whether
> Hitler was wrong JUST because he exterminated 6 million Jews, but I
> still can't get a handle on this one.  Maybe if some of the best net
> brains put their heads together we can get somewhere with this
> question.  Any ideas out there?

Of course the answer to the question "Is it wrong to wipe out an entire
race of people because you dislike them?" is obvious.  Whether or not,
as Spence claims, "our" side also did wrong things.  (Which it did.  Japanese
internment camps were just as racist as Hitler's death camps, though perhaps
less murder and violence resulted.  No one said there had to be a "right"
side, although some assume that there is and that it's always their own...)
The obviousness of the answer is the very reason why Nazis of today must
claim that the atrocities never happened, in order that they might happen
again.  We know what Nazism (and its clone, Identity Christianity) are all
about, so the proponents must somehow dissociate themselves from our
conceptions of such movements.  Fortunately for them, the big lie technique
still works:  if you repeat a lie often enough and forcefully enough ("There's
no evidence that the holocaust really happened..."), it will be believed.  And
those who meekly back off and say "What's my stake in answering or debunking
these ideas?  This is a crackpot minority, who cares?", as most of the
Christian community on this net do, can eventually lead to propagation of the
racist ideas in the mainstream.  That's what both Christians and Jews did
the last time in response to such big lies.  I guess Jews know that there's
more of a stake in not doing so this time.  But others don't.
--
"Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

baba@spar.UUCP (Baba ROM DOS) (03/28/85)

> Personally I have alot more respect for Hitler and the Nazis than I do for
> the Jews.

I can undersand that.  The Nazis has sexy uniforms, whereas all we can credit
the Jews for is trivia like the basis of our ethical system and relativity.

>                 The Jews were just victims.  At least the Nazis had ideals
> for which they willing to fight and die for and yes even commit "atrocities"
> for.  Which of the three do you think takes more courage?
>
> 						Russell Spence

It takes a *lot* of courage to die for your faith and heritage.
Please explain the "courage" required to slaughter unarmed civilians.

						ROM DOS

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (03/29/85)

> > Personally I have alot more respect for Hitler and the Nazis than I do for
> > the Jews.   The Jews were just victims.  At least the Nazis had ideals
> > for which they willing to fight and die for and yes even commit "atrocities"
> > for.  Which of the three do you think takes more courage?

	Hatred and desire for world domination are not what I would
call ideals.
--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (03/29/85)

Rich Rosen:
> As Carnes says above, "Oh, I don't know if we can still blame [the
> Jews] today, but they WERE responsible for [the crucifixion]
> originally, no?"

No, I *didn't* say that, nor have I ever believed such rubbish at any
time in my entire life.  Excuuuuuse me for attempting to fight on
your side.

Richard Carnes

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (03/29/85)

> Rich Rosen:
> > As Carnes says above, "Oh, I don't know if we can still blame [the
> > Jews] today, but they WERE responsible for [the crucifixion]
> > originally, no?"
>
> No, I *didn't* say that, nor have I ever believed such rubbish at any
> time in my entire life.  Excuuuuuse me for attempting to fight on
> your side.
>
> Richard Carnes

    I thought he'd been pretty unfair to you too.  What's the matter,
Rich?  Why *isn't* sarcasm a valid weapon to use in fighting lies?
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

In article <2580@ihuxf.UUCP> russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence) writes:

>Personally I have alot more respect for Hitler and the Nazis than I do for
>the Jews.   The Jews were just victims.  At least the Nazis had ideals
>for which they willing to fight and die for and yes even commit "atrocities"
>for.  Which of the three do you think takes more courage?

To die.  I do not believe that the Jews were under some moral obligation to
kill in return for killing.  To say that they were "just victims" appalls me.

Not everyone is in the position of being able to help themselves.  So many
people are defenseless against the evils that beset them.  To condemn the
helpless is to glorify might.  To praise blind, unthinking loyalty which
willingly submits to evil, is to deny the evil.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (03/30/85)

> Rich Rosen:
> > As Carnes says above, "Oh, I don't know if we can still blame [the
> > Jews] today, but they WERE responsible for [the crucifixion]
> > originally, no?"
>
> No, I *didn't* say that, nor have I ever believed such rubbish at any
> time in my entire life.  Excuuuuuse me for attempting to fight on
> your side.
>
> Richard Carnes

I quote:

>> Yes, this one's a real toughie, so let's warm up on an easier one,
>> recently posed by Don Black.  Are the Jews living today responsible
>> in part for the crucifixion of Christ?  At first glance, this appears
>> to be one of those insoluble legal conundrums, but then we recall
>> that in most courts of law, it is considered an extenuating
>> circumstance if the crime was committed 1,900 years before the birth
>> of the alleged perpetrators.  So I would have to say, pending further
>> reflection and the appearance of additional witnesses and/or
>> evidence, that living Jews such as my apartment-mate George cannot be
>> held fully responsible for the death of Christ.  (George denies any
>> involvement, but what did you expect.  Hey, you want I should torture
>> him to make him confess?)   [RICHARD CARNES]

If this was sarcastic, it was not only not clear, it was in bad taste.
Claiming that it's an "insoluble legal argument" whether or not Jews
today are responsible for what (presumably) their ancestors (as a nation?)
did 1900 years ago.  Large blocks of Christians, and many Christian
teachers, still teach that the Jews were responsible for the death of
Jesus.  A remnant of lingering anti-Semitism of the first order, just
waiting to be tapped by people like Black.

Please find a less virulent way to "fight on my side".  If you agree
that the notions being debunked are despicable, please don't rehash some
of the same notions being debunked, even if in (attempts at) jest.
--
Life is complex.  It has real and imaginary parts.
					Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (03/30/85)

> > Rich Rosen:
> > > As Carnes says above, "Oh, I don't know if we can still blame [the
> > > Jews] today, but they WERE responsible for [the crucifixion]
> > > originally, no?"
> >
> > No, I *didn't* say that, nor have I ever believed such rubbish at any
> > time in my entire life.  Excuuuuuse me for attempting to fight on
> > your side.
> >
> > Richard Carnes
>
>     I thought he'd been pretty unfair to you too.  What's the matter,
> Rich?  Why *isn't* sarcasm a valid weapon to use in fighting lies?
> --
> Jeff Sonntag
> ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j
>     "Parts is parts."-Jack the Ripper

It wasn't at all clear that sarcasm was being invoked.  Even if it was,
the way in which the "Jew-blaming" was brought up smelled a bit to me.
--
"It's a lot like life..."			 Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (03/31/85)

Rich Rosen writes:
>Please find a less virulent way to "fight on my side".

I apologize if Rich was offended by my article.  As far as I know,
good satire and good taste are incompatible; and Rich seemed to be
using an interpretive principle of "If in doubt, assume it's
anti-Semitic."  It is self-defeating for Jews to flame gentiles who
speak out against the neo-Nazi creeps.

There is a fine article on the various neo-Nazi groups in the issue
of *In These Times* dated about March 11 or so.

Richard Carnes

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (03/31/85)

>>                 The Jews were just victims.  At least the Nazis had ideals
>> for which they willing to fight and die for and yes even commit "atrocities"
>> for.  Which of the three do you think takes more courage?
>>
>>                                               Russell Spence
>
>It takes a *lot* of courage to die for your faith and heritage.
>Please explain the "courage" required to slaughter unarmed civilians.
>
>                                                ROM DOS

A (long) quote from Himmler's Posen address to the SS group leaders in 1943:

" I shall speak to you here with all frankness about a very serious subject.
We shall now discuss it openly among ourselves; nevertheless we shall never
speak about it in public.  I mean the evacuation of the Jews, the
extermination of the Jewish People.  It is one of those things which is
easy to say: "The Jewish people are to be exterminated," says every
party member.  "That's clear, it's part of our program, elimination
of the Jews, extermination, right, we'll do it."  And then they all
come along, eighty million upstanding Germans, and each one has his
decent Jew.  Of course the others are all swine, but this one is a
first-class Jew.  Of all those who talk like this, not one has watched
[the actual extermination], not one has had the stomach for it.  Most
of you know what it means to see a hundred corpses lying together,
five hundred, or a thousand.  To have gone through this and yet --
apart from a few exceptions, examples of human weakness -- to have
remained decent, this has made us hard.  This is a glorious page in
our history that has never been written and never shall be written.

The wealth which they had, we have taken from them.  I have issued
a strict command . . . that this wealth is as a matter of course to
be delivered in its entirety to the Reich.  We have taken none of it
for ourselves.  Individuals who have violated this principle will be
punished according to an order which I issued at the beginning and which
warns: Anyone who takes so much as a mark shall die.  A certain number
of SS men -- not very many -- disobeyed this order and they will die,
without mercy.

We had the moral right, we had the duty to our own people, to kill
this people that wanted to kill us.  But we have no right to enrich
ourselves by so much as a fur, a watch, a mark, or a cigarette, anything
else.  In the last analysis, because we exterminated a bacillus we
don't want to be infected by it and die.  I shall never stand by and
wathc even the slightest spot of rot develop or establish itself here.
Wherever it appears, we shall burn it out together.  By and large,
we can say we have performed this most difficult task out of love
for our people.  And we have suffered no harm from it in our inner
self, in our soul, in our character." (Quoted by Alice Miller in
"For your Own Good" Farrar, Strauss, Giroux 1983; in Canada McGraw-Hill)
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (04/01/85)

> I apologize if Rich was offended by my article.  As far as I know,
> good satire and good taste are incompatible; and Rich seemed to be
> using an interpretive principle of "If in doubt, assume it's
> anti-Semitic."  It is self-defeating for Jews to flame gentiles who
> speak out against the neo-Nazi creeps.   [RICHARD CARNES]

Apology accepted.  AS to my my "interpretive principle", let me
say this:  It may have seemed to you that your article was satirical.
A good look at it showed little difference in content or tone from
the article that preceded it, or from Black's original diatribes.
The point is:  though it may be obvious from the very ridiculousness
of what you said that it was (to you) satirical, Black's articles
(and the words of other neo-fascists) contain exactly the same
words, and are NOT satirical, but rather very serious in intent.  If
you might say "But a reasoned person would realize it's ridiculous
satire", think again.  Reasoned people believe "big lie" techniques and
other fascist propaganda techniques not less much than the rest of the
population.  The reason they use those manipulative techniques is
because they work (look at the world of modern advertising!).  Your
article was, ridiculous in notion and may have been construed as satire,
but it was little different from those that preceded it (Spence's and Black's).
As such, how would YOU be able to tell the difference.  Satire *IS* a
great literary tool, but satire backfires, because there are some people
who don't realize that it was satirical.  (In fifteen or twenty years,
people may believe that Spinal Tap was one of the great rock groups of
the 80s, not knowing that the movie about them was a satire...)
----------
"Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr
--
"Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (04/01/85)

Can't this be moved to net.abortion, net.jokes, net.unix-wizards, or some
other windy newsgroup that I don't read (list available on request).
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (04/01/85)

> Was Hitler wrong in killing the Jews?  Well, history has already made that
> judgement,  he lost the war.  Therefore, even by his standards he can be
> judged a failure and in the wrong.  Is he wrong JUST because he exterminated
> 6 million Jews?  That one is tougher.  Sure the simple answer is that genocide
> is evil and since Hitler tried to kill all of the Jews, he is evil too.
> This is a very nice and simple answer. It has the added benefit that it removes
> from the listener any responsibility to THINK.  However, the truth is that
> the issue of the phenomena of Nazism is much more complex and still deserves
> more objective study.

	I really do not believe what I am reading. Was Hitler wrong? If he had
 won the war, would he be right? How can a man, for any twisted crazy ideal go
 and kill one person, let alone 6,000,000. What right does any person have to
 kill innocent people. Were the Jews trying to overthrow Germany? were they
 menacing people. The phenomenon of nazism is indeed complex. How did the world
 not see it for the evil it is. How did almost the entire word stand by and
 watch idly as an army massacred a people? Why did the US army not bomb the
 rail lines leading into Auschwitz? ( yes, I blame America too, but this does
 not mean that the nazis were correct. In fact they were worse. The non-action
 of America is contemptable. The action of the nazis for perpetrating the
  crimes they did are worse.

	In America a man is considered evil for killing one person. That is why
 murder is illegal. It is wrong and should not be done. How can a man who
 killed 6,000,000 people be considered anything but evil.

> What pisses me off is that since Hitler did commit this "atrocity", people
> use that as an excuse to remove their own guilt for things that they did during
> the war.
> Hey, how about a little quiz?
>
> Which country is the only country to use atomic weapons on fellow human
> being?
> What is the name of the country that in World War II fire-bombed Dresden
> for three day when it knew that Dresden didn't have any significant war
> industry?
> Which "freedom-loving" country suspended the civil rights of a group of
> citizens simply because ethnically they were of Japanese origin?

	Good points, all of them. But this does not justify Hitler in any way.

> Of course people will say, "Oh, but look what Hitler did to the Jews!!".
> This makes me sick.  Does that make what we did right?  I think that you
> all know the answer to that.  But, my, isn't it ironic that the people who have
> gotten the most mileage out of the holocaust are the Jews?  They got their
> own state out of it and the support of the United States since it's
> creation.  And, my, look at all of the wonderful things that they have
> done in Lebanon and the Middle East in general!  But hey, you can't
> criticize them.  Oh, no, look what Hitler did to them.  The U.S. withdraw
> support!!  No, we can't do that, look at all the problems they've had!

	Milage. Do you judge the rightness and wrongness of action by mileage?
 Is that what is important to you? The Jews got teir homeland back ( yes, it
 was theirs first ) because the world wasn't willing to promise tat it would
 give the Jews a place in their homes where they ( the Jews ) would be safe
 from persecution. The world was not willing to stand up and say that the
 Jews would be safe with them. So they gave the Jews a place for themselves.
 ( Looks like a nice theory ). Maybe, in reality, the world was admitting
 its error and trying to rectifythe situation of its abandoning of the Jews?

	The reason the US supports Israel has little to do with the holocaust.
 Israel is the only stable democracy in the area, aside from being the only
 ally America has in the entire world. The arabs side up to America as true
 friends but they only want the destruction of Israel. That is teir u
 is their sole
 intent.

	The Israelis invaded Lebanon, not to expand their borders, they can
 hardly sustain what they have already, but rather because Israel's northern
 border villages were being bombed constantly, and the citizens couldn't live
 normal lives. What else have the Israelis done in the Middle East? Did they
 mount an army of 40 million to attack a country on the day it declared its
 independence? Do they set bombs in civillian busses to kill innocent
 bystanders? When the Israeli Army entered Lebanon leaflets were dropped over
 cities and villages warning citizens of what was about to happen and telling
 them to relocate until the battle was over. Do the arabs put labels on bombs
 that they leave on Israeli busses? Do terrorists who kill innocent athletes
 ( at the Olympics ) and children ( read the papers about 15 years ago and
 more recently when a bus was commandeered and the terrorists eventually
 killed but not before civilians were murdered, do they leave warning notes
 to make sure no one gets hurt accidentally?

	More about the Middle East. Syria hates Jordan, Iraq hate Iran, Iran
 hates almost everyone, everyone hate Libya, Egypt can't get along with
 Syria. These are all Arab states in the Middle East. Israel is the smallest
 problem of them all. The arabs states butcher each other and themselves
 ( look at what Assad did to the city of Hamma. 50,000 people exterminated
 without a mention in the news, barely ).Why is Israel the Middle East
 problem. Hussein in Jordan kicked out the PLO. Why? Because they were nice,
 fun loving people? No, because they wanted to take over his country, which
 was set up by the British mandate to be the home of the palestinians ( along
s.

	So, why do you make Israel out as the bad guy? Iran and Iraq have
 been fighting for 5 years. All the Israeli wars combined don't last that
 long. There are more casualties in the iraq-iran war than in any Israeli
 war. Why is that not a problem? Do the countries of the world go running
 to stop them? Harly. But when Israel has the Egyptian, Jordanian, and Syria
 armies running after just 6 days everyone says that its wrong and the war
 must stop. In 1973, when the arabs were winning the war no one cried to stop.
 As soon as Israel turned the tables there was a hue and cry.

	Why have the arabs attacked the Israelis so often? Israeli atrocities,
 bullshit ( and I never use these terms ). The arabs have been trying to
 finish Hitler's work. But Hitler was a hero, I forgot. So the arabs are
 great too.

	If the US did not support Israel the entire area would be under
 communist control. Maybe you favor that too. Israel is an invaluable partner
 to the US. They supply the US with intelligence information that has recently
 been valued at over 50 billion dollars ( I read this in a paper, although I
 don't remember offhand which ). Not a bad investment for the US I would say.

> Personally I have alot more respect for Hitler and the Nazis than I do for
> the Jews.   The Jews were just victims.  At least the Nazis had ideals
> for which they willing to fight and die for and yes even commit "atrocities"
> for.  Which of the three do you think takes more courage?

	Firstly, did the Jews not have ideals for which they were willing to
 die? Are victims to be left with nothing? Why prosecute the murderer? He stood
 up for something. The dead man was a dumb victim. If I were to rob your house
 would you let me keep what I took because I was willing to stand up for
 something and you were a victim?

	The crusaders could have used someone like you. Who gives a damn what
 is right and what is wrong, if you believe do as you wish. I believe that
 people like you should be killed in the most painful manner possible. Does that
 mean I have the right to do this? No.

> But isn't it so much easier to close your eyes, condemn the Nazis (who will
> argue with you?) and pretend that Hitler was insane?

	Isn't it much easier to say that Hitler was right and let's do it again?
 ( Who would argue with you, except the Jews, but they're victims so who cares
 about them ).

> ---------------------
> [The following is reprinted without permission from the Chicago Tribune.
>  "Our 'good neighbors'" by Peter Gorner.  Feb. 17, 1985]
>
> Romanian Orthodox Bishop Viorel Trifa...had been a leader of the
> viciously anti-semitic Romanian fascist Iron Guard and as a newspaper
> editor in Bucharest, had incited his countrymen to the 1941 riot in which
> Jewish men, women and children where skinned alive and left hanging on
> meat hooks in a slaughterhouse.
>  Before being deported to Portugal last year, Trifa complained to the press
> that he was a victim of the times.  "The point was to revive the Holocaust,"
> he said, "But all this talk by the Jews about the Holocaust is going to
> backfire - against the Jews.  Something," he says darkly, "will be done."
>  Such a telling response is unusual, Ryan says.  Most of the people he
> prosecuted have admitted to nothing.  The lack of contrition, he says, began
> to haunt him in 1981 when he proved that John Demjanjuk, a Cleveland automaker,
> was in truth "Ivan the Terrible," the infamous Ukrainian sadist who manned the
> pumps for the Nazi gas chamber at the Treblinka killing camp.
>  "He was absolutely impassive in court," Ryan says, "His family didn't know
> about his past.  They were being tortured every day.  The evidence was over-
> whelming.  I was looking for some sign... some acknowledgement... some
> conscience.  But there was nothing.
>  "Demjanjuk was not special, no more unique than a cockroach. But the Nazi
> attitude he represents is significant.  In his smug silence he was telling us
> something: 'I did it once and got way with it. I won't explain how or why,
> for if I did, you might understand it a little better than you did before
> and learn how to recognize it better when it rears its head again.'"
> --

 	And you advocate doing this again, by saying Hitler wasn't wrong. He
 was wrong and w mustn't shut our eyes to it. Other countries were also wrong
 and must admit it. But to say because someone else is wrong therefore I am
 right is incorrect.

	I have had to use extreme control not to flame you and call you all
 kinds of evil things. You are sicker than Don Black , in that he thinks
 nothing happened. You think something did, and that it wasn't wrong. You
 need help in the worst way possible. You have to be taught between right
 and wrong.

	I sincerely hope you go for counselling soon.

				Eliyahu Teitz.

> 						Russell Spence
> 				(new path ->)	ihnp4!ihuxf!russ
> 						AT&T Technologies
> 						Naperville, IL

russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence) (04/02/85)

I have received a few person attacks and some questions regarding my posting
about Nazis.  I would like to bring up a few questions and maybe clarify some
of my feelings.

My knowledge of Nazism comes from reading Mein Kampf and general knowledge
obtained from several sources.  I felt that reading Mein Kampf was most
valuable for understanding the Nazis because it expresses Hitler's own
feelings about his goals written in his own hand.  Thus his opinions are
not distorted by someone who may have pre-judged him.  On the other hand,
one must realize that Hitler also makes gross generalizations and sometimes
miss-represents facts.  If you are aware that this is happening, hopefully you
can try to read past that and try to see what he his really saying.
I am certainly not an expert on Nazism, but I have formed some tentative
opinions and have some thoughts on the matter.

The Holocaust was not wrong from the Nazi point of view and according to
their moral standards (which is not to say that some individuals who were
Nazis didn't find it morally unacceptable).  This point seems obvious to me
from the fact that they did it and many of them do not seem to feel guilty
about it.  Of course, some did feel guilty about it, but it is hard to tell
whether this is genuine or not is affected by the fact they the Nazis lost the
war and individual people want to save their own skins (and possibly even
make a buck (nobody today wants to buy a book by a proud Nazi)).  The fact that
they actually committed the Holocaust also shows how committed they were to
their ideals (whether right or wrong).  This is why I feel that Don Black,
Zundle and their kind are doing a disservice to the Nazis when denying the
Holocaust.  I do not think that Hitler would hesitate to call them weaklings.

I think that to judge the Nazis based on their actions is taking a close minded
attitude which will get in the way of understanding their ideals.  The value
of looking back at the Nazis is to understand their ideas and judge them for
yourself.  I don't feel good about letting ANYONE make moral judgements for
me. I am interested in the Nazis and am making an attempt to understand them.
I'm not interested in talking to people who aren't willing to accept this
basic idea, because they are using the Nazis as a scapegoat just as much
as they blame the Nazis for using the Jews.

If someone wants to DISCUSS some issues of Nazism, how about answering this
question, am I right in my assumption that the whole struggle between the
Nazis and the Marxists (which the Nazis assert are very closely tied with
the Jews) is the struggle between the ideas that men are equal (Marxist) and
that men are not equal (Nazi)?

------
Will YOU recognize Nazism when it rears it head again?
--

						Russell Spence
						ihnp4!ihuxf!russ

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (04/02/85)

In article <1345@aecom.UUCP> teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) writes:

>	I really do not believe what I am reading. Was Hitler wrong? If he had
> won the war, would he be right? How can a man, for any twisted crazy ideal go
> and kill one person, let alone 6,000,000. What right does any person have to
> kill innocent people.

Actually, if Hitler had won, he would indeed have been correct.  Not from
*my* point of view, of course, but I would be dead.  In fact, as I recall,
he wanted to kill everyone who didn't believe as he did, so the only people
left alive would be those that agreed with him, or said they did.  Regard-
less of what you may believe, "right" and "wrong" are societally defined,
they are *not* inborn.  Thus, if everyone in my society thinks as I do,
then I am right.  If Hitler killed off all the people that didn't think as
he did, his society would have agreed with him, and he would be right.

Certainly, I don't believe that killing even one person is right, but that
is definitely not instinctive.  If the rules change, so does what is
"right."

                                       Muffy

alcmist@ssc-vax.UUCP (Frederick Wamsley) (04/03/85)

<Zundel says the bug never happened>

In article <2580@ihuxf.UUCP> russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence) writes:

>Personally I have alot more respect for Hitler and the Nazis than I do for
>the Jews.   The Jews were just victims.  At least the Nazis had ideals
>for which they willing to fight and die for and yes even commit "atrocities"
>for.  Which of the three do you think takes more courage?

I read this with a numb horror I have never felt before on the net.

It's not even true!  Read about the heroic resistance in the Warsaw ghetto,
against professional soldiers.

"Ideals" which lead to war and butchery need to be condemned and fought.
I feel sick to learn that anyone can respect mass murderers.

> The Holocaust was not wrong from the Nazi point of view and according to
> their moral standards (which is not to say that some individuals who were
> Nazis didn't find it morally unacceptable).  This point seems obvious to me
> from the fact that they did it and many of them do not seem to feel guilty
> about it.

That is exactly why Nazi Germany had to be destroyed, at a ghastly price!

> ------
> Will YOU recognize Nazism when it rears it head again?
> --

When a mass movement preaches militant nationalism and hatred of
minorities, I will not waste precious time being "open-minded"
and admiring its ideals.  I will oppose it.  When someone professes
concern for the poor, and blames their poverty on Jews, I will
not be objective.  I will work against him.  And I will be especially
suspicious of any group that does evil while calling itself idealistic.

Fred Wamsley
--
UUCP:{ihnp4,decvax}!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!alcmist ARPA:ssc-vax!alcmist@uw-beaver
It's not my employer's fault if I say something absurd.