[net.religion] Christianity and homosexuality

CSvax:Pucc-H:aeq@pur-ee.UUCP (09/10/83)

Reply to Robert Wahl (excerpts from his article indented):

		"Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality" by John
		Boswell, University of Chicago Press (Phoenix Books), 1981.

	 Of all the books I have read on homosexuality (or religion, for that
   matter), this one has to be the most informative.  It begins by analysing
   the Bible and other early Christian writings, and shows that there is
   *nothing* to indicate that homosexuality was regarded as a sin.

	 Most people who object to homosexuality on religious grounds quote
   the story of Sodom or I Corinthians 6:9.

I would point you to the second half of Romans 1 (I must make a practice of
keeping my Bible in my backpack; alas, I haven't a Bible with me now).  In
that passage, Paul says something like "The men abandoned the natural function
of the women and burned with lust for each other", and says something similar
about women.  The indications in that passage are pretty strong that God
eventually gives up on those who choose to continue doing that, i.e. that
homosexuality is a sin.  However, I should also point out that Paul, if I
recall rightly, equates this with "worshipping the creature instead of the
Creator"; in other words, homosexuality is only a symptom of a deeper sin,
but that doesn't make it right.  A fever is only a symptom of an infection,
but that doesn't make a fever right.  Also, I remember reading somewhere in
the Pentateuch, probably in Exodus, Leviticus, or Deuteronomy, that sexual
relations between men or between women were against the Law.  While I will
admit I have not read the Hebrew or the Greek, the translations of these
passages (and not just 20th-century translations) certainly appear to denounce ALL homosexuality, not just isolated cases such as the male prostitutes
Mr. Wahl mentioned as the actual stars of I Cor. 6:9.

	There is not even evidence in the literature of the day
   to assume that homosexuality would be thought of as a sexual proclivity -
   no social distinction was drawn between homosexuality and heterosexuality,
   nor were the Jews noted for being "straight", a fact which would have
   stood out.

Just because the Jews may not have followed the Law too carefully does not
mean the Law wasn't there, speaking strongly against homosexuality!

I should also point out my own analysis of the feelings which might start a
person on the road to homosexuality--an informed analysis, because I've been
uncomfortably close.  Not too many months ago, I went through a period of
deep despair over my chances of ever attracting a female.  During this period,
I had to fight down some strong homosexual feelings.  These had occurred
earlier in my life during similar "down" periods, though never with quite
such intensity.  Such feelings themselves are NOT sinful.  However, if I had
chosen to act upon them, to seek sexual involvement with another male, that
would have been the sin--choosing an ersatz way of finding "love", closeness,
intimacy, healing of the pain of loneliness.  The right thing to do about
such feelings was to (as one pastor friend of mine advised me) "show God my
dirty pictures", i.e. admit these feelings to Him and let Him work on the
underlying despair.  (It worked, too; I have actually begun dating women now.)

In summary, I would just say that the fact that the Bible condemns
homosexuality (which I maintain it does) or anything else is not what makes
it horrible; rather, the fact that it is horrible is the reason the Bible
condemns it.  The fact that something is in the Bible is not what makes it
true; rather, it is in the Bible precisely BECAUSE it is true.

-- Jeff Sargent/pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq

[...]

sdb@shark.UUCP (Steven Den Beste) (09/12/83)

So, before I make my comments, let me state that I am hetero, and
what I am about to say is based on talking to gay friends.

No-one knows what makes someone homo-sexual. However, it is NOT mysogyny.
Gay men don't turn to each other out of despair of never finding a
woman - gay men REALLY just like men. Many like women too, but prefer
men.

Many hetero's who have a hard time finding a female partner will find
themselves despairing "I have lots of male friends - it is easy for me
to meet and get to know men - why is it so hard to get to know women?"
At that point they start fantasizing about sexual contact with a man,
and usually shortly thereafter begin flogging themselves mentally.
Sorry, that isn't homosexuality, that is lonely heterosexuality. The
urges for real homosexuality are entirely different.

   Steve Den Beste
   Tektronix

david@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (03/24/85)

	There has been some discussion about what the NT writings
say about homosexuality. I'm glad that Jeff Gillette has commented on
what Paul said.
	There are two things I would add. First, while the
translation of some words is made more difficult because they are
rare, or lacking in verbal context, or because the original words
are lexically ambiguous, nevertheless we should not forget the
apparent traditional presuppositions of the authors and readers.
Jesus and Paul largely accepted their Jewish ethical tradition,
and neither of them are famous for casuistry or for mincing words.
The fact is that homosexuality was considered to be a perversion of
nature according to Jewish tradition of the time. Secondly, if either
had condoned homosexuality during that time, it surely would have
been so scandalous to contemporary non-Christian Jews that we should
be informed even today by their criticism, for example, in the Talmud.
But this is not their complaint.
	I am not saying that the NT writings are ethically complete,
or inerrant, simply that it is far-fetching to have the NT say what it
plainly does not. I understand that homosexuals do not want to be
denied their rights as individual human beings, and do not want to be
excluded from social institutions. But, in the final analysis, are
the churches to approve something which most believe to be ultimately
destructive of human personality and society? Who can forsee the
consequences of such approval? However, my point is that there is
nothing, that I know of, in the scriptures in favor of homosexuality;
it is always described as being under "the wrath of God" -- that is,
self-destructive. I would say that this is not obviously wrong.
	Whether it is "involuntary" or not, is beside the point, since
it is at least as "voluntary" as other conscious behaviors. In fact, Paul
anticipates psychoanalysis by thousands of years, in attributing our
behavior to very often unconscious motivations. We ordinarily say that
something is voluntary when we mean that we are aware of our motives.
But the matter of "sin" is not the "voluntariness" of behavior, which
is related to our self-knowledge, but its "destructiveness". It is said
that the Law, while it made us partially conscious of sin, could not
make us better, less destructive men. But that with the coming of
Christ, we are set free, by the power of God, from slavery to what would
destroy us. Paul then says that it was this experience which "freed"
him to become the "slave" of Christ, having been the slave to "sin".
This would seem to be the meaning of "They shall know the truth, and
the truth shall set them free."
	As an analogy, suppose that your grandfather died of lung cancer
after smoking for 30 years. He never knew that he was killing himself.
Then the surgeon general announces that smoking is the greatest cause
of this fatal disease. Well, everyone knows this expert opinion, and
becomes aware of the alternatives. Some may "voluntarily" stop smoking,
after hearing this dire warning; nevertheless, others will "voluntarily"
choose to disregard the warning, and die of cancer. Still others will
"involuntarily" continue to be addicted to the self-destructive behavior.
Hearing more medical opinions may not make a difference. Nevertheless,
having been provided with these warnings, they will very well understand
what the doctor means when he says "stop, or else." But no one seeks
to find the doctor until he suffers "involuntarily", wishing to be saved.
Hopefully, the doctor makes the one tremble in his boots, since anyone
who "voluntarily" disregards this last warning is pretty far gone.
	I don't know of a large proportion of homosexuals who want to
live a different life, and generally they deny that their lives are
self-destructive. But, having lived in a number of major cities, this is
not my general impression. I realize that this is not a popular "liberal"
opinion, still I have to say what I believe is true. I might add that
there is no morality to be found in singles bars, anymore than in gay
bathhouses; and that there is no justification for persecution of those
who are suffering already, whether they realize this, or say that they
are "voluntarily" doing what is "natural" to them.

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (03/26/85)

In article <202@cvl.UUCP> david@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) writes:
>......................., nevertheless we should not forget the
>apparent traditional presuppositions of the authors and readers.
>Jesus and Paul largely accepted their Jewish ethical tradition,
>and neither of them are famous for casuistry or for mincing words.
>The fact is that homosexuality was considered to be a perversion of
>nature according to Jewish tradition of the time.

I am interested in any references supporting this.  Boswell's book may cover
this in its many nooks and crannies, but I don't remember any lengthy
discussions on it.

>Secondly, if either
>had condoned homosexuality during that time, it surely would have
>been so scandalous to contemporary non-Christian Jews that we should
>be informed even today by their criticism, for example, in the Talmud.
>But this is not their complaint.

But there is a problem here of the counter argument.  If homosexuality was
so rampant in Jesus' time (it is thought that for over 200 years most of
the Roman Emperers were homosexuals) wouldn't he have said at least something
negative about it?

Neither the Roman religion nor Roman law recognized homosexual eroticism as
distinct from - much less inferior to - heterosexual eroticism.  Prejudices
affecting sexual behavior applied to all persons uniformly.  Roman society
almost unanimously assumed that adult males would be capable of, in not
interested in, sexual relations with both sexes.  Male prostitution was
taxed by law - there was even a yearly holiday off for male prostitutes.

>                             ..... But, in the final analysis, are
>the churches to approve something which most believe to be ultimately
>destructive of human personality and society? Who can forsee the
>consequences of such approval?

When I look at the world and its history, there is one thing which stands out
above all else which has caused most of the suffering and hatred in the world,
and that is INTOLERANCE of others.  Think about it and see if you don't agree.
Intolerance caused things from the death of Jesus to the holocaust.

So, we should make your questions more accurate and get at the real root
of evil in the world:  Are we to approve of something which has obviously
caused most of the suffering and hatred in the world (intolerance) and which
ultimately is destructive of human personality and society?  Who can forsee
the consequences of such approval?

>However, my point is that there is
>nothing, that I know of, in the scriptures in favor of homosexuality;
>it is always described as being under "the wrath of God" -- that is,
>self-destructive. I would say that this is not obviously wrong.

You have made some pretty strong attacks against a minority group.  I think
it only just that you present some facts to support your view.  First you
talk about homosexuality as being ultimately destructive of human personality
and society. I presume you have seen a lot of evidence before taking on such
an extreme position.  Since such a belief can cause physical aggravation and
psychological damage to a large segment of the population, surely you must
have conclusive evidence to support it.

Another denigration are the words
"self-destruction" and "destruction."  Again, since I presume you haven't
decided that homosexuals are self-destructive in a vacuum it would be
enlightening to hear of your evidence.  Without evidence, I'm sure many whites
in the old south were sure that the negro was just inherently inferior.

You mention that in the large cities this destructive tendency is noticed.
Since there are gays working and living around you everywhere why don't you
notice this tendency in the samll towns, or at work, as well?

>This would seem to be the meaning of "They shall know the truth, and
>the truth shall set them free."

You know, its funny but when I read about Jesus in the Bible, it seems most
of what he did was support the down and out, the poor and the oppressed.  I
I don't think he once critized minorities of any type of color, race or
sexual disposition.  I wonder if "the truth shall set them free" applies to
ridding the world of intolerant thought which causes so many problems today
as it did in Jesus' time.

>.......................... I realize that this is not a popular "liberal"
>opinion, still I have to say what I believe is true.

You certainly have every right to your opinion.  All I ask is that you
investigate your stand with some hard data before you draw such severe
conclusions.  There are many studies that have been done on gay relationships
starting with Masters and Johnson data on percent of population tending toward
homosexuality to "The Mendola Report" on gay 'marriages' to the latest book
"The Male Couple."  Better yet, get to know some on a personal basis.  Chances
are that you already do, you just don't know it yet.  My stereotype of gays
was blown wide open when I did.

Dave Trissel                    {ihnp4,seismo,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (03/26/85)

> Male prostitution was taxed by law - there was even a yearly holiday
> off for male prostitutes.

Wait a minute.  Was prostitution a state-subsdized activity?  If so,
then did the male prostitutes obtain a full day's pay on their day
off?  If a private institution then did they received some sort
of fixed compensation during a holiday from their "pimp?"

Something seems strange about the concept of receiving a day off
from the state, when you are in essence self-employed.  How
could the state grant something it was no tin a position to give...
or am I ignorant of the situation?
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"And Frith made the world"

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (03/27/85)

In article <202@cvl.UUCP> david@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) writes:
>	There are two things I would add. First, while the
>translation of some words is made more difficult because they are
>rare, or lacking in verbal context, or because the original words
>are lexically ambiguous, nevertheless we should not forget the
>apparent traditional presuppositions of the authors and readers.
>Jesus and Paul largely accepted their Jewish ethical tradition,
>and neither of them are famous for casuistry or for mincing words.
>The fact is that homosexuality was considered to be a perversion of
>nature according to Jewish tradition of the time. Secondly, if either
>had condoned homosexuality during that time, it surely would have
>been so scandalous to contemporary non-Christian Jews that we should
>be informed even today by their criticism, for example, in the Talmud.
>But this is not their complaint.

JC never mentions homosexuals in any context.  Paul, however, was not
a freethinker in any respect, and followed the Jewish legal tradition
quite strongly.  He may have been adding some these sorts of personal
prejudgements to his discourses (on totally different subjects).  That
is why such prejudgements need to reexamined periodically.

>the churches to approve something which most believe to be ultimately
>destructive of human personality and society? Who can forsee the
>consequences of such approval? However, my point is that there is
>nothing, that I know of, in the scriptures in favor of homosexuality;
>it is always described as being under "the wrath of God" -- that is,
>self-destructive. I would say that this is not obviously wrong.

I question the use of most in the above paragraph.  Do you mean most
Christians?  If so, while potentially true, this is the very point
that we are pushing to have reexamined.  Do you mean most cultures?
This is not true.  Do you mean most people today?  This is the work
of the Christian Church, and demonstrates why this belief must be
changed.  As for homosexuality being self-destructive, that is an
opinion you seem to hold that has no justifications here.  Prove it.

>	I don't know of a large proportion of homosexuals who want to
>live a different life, and generally they deny that their lives are
>self-destructive. But, having lived in a number of major cities, this is
>not my general impression. I realize that this is not a popular "liberal"
>opinion, still I have to say what I believe is true. I might add that
>there is no morality to be found in singles bars, anymore than in gay
>bathhouses; and that there is no justification for persecution of those
>who are suffering already, whether they realize this, or say that they
>are "voluntarily" doing what is "natural" to them.

You seem to believe that all or most gays live their lives in bathhouses,
and I have to say that that belief is completely incorrect.  Unless
you had friends and/or aquaintances who were openly gay, your big city
experiences with gays have been confined to people who were out partying.
Isn't making a judgement on such a skewed sample a little brash?  I mean,
I'm involved in a relationship that has been ongoing for 4 1/2 years.
I supported my lover through school.  Many gays are actively involved
in charity efforts, upgrading their neighborhoods, politicing for
minority rights, etc.; are these self-destrutive?  I know lots of
gays in stable relationships (just to point out that I am not a strange
exception).

While I do not contend that all gays are of benefit to their communities,
I do contend that statements such as those in the above paragraph are at
best unsubstantiated dreck, and are more likely to be considered
rabble-rousing and hate mongering.  Because while you claim to be so
enlightened as to not persecute gays, it is a short step from "they
are self-destructive" to "we must protect them from themselves so
that they can be saved" to "put gay people in concentration camps so
that they don't infect our children" by people not as enlightened as
you claim to be.

--
Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (03/27/85)

I am confused on a point that perhaps someone can clarify for me....

Why is it that Lot is considered by some christians (and apparently by
god) a great guy?  How can someone who offers his daughters for a gang
rape (apparently without even asking them) be anything but a scum, and his
god being not so nice either?  I realize that he was protecting his guests,
but why then didn't he offer himself, or just say no, get lost?

larryg@teklds.UUCP (Larry Gardner) (04/03/85)

Richard,

I still think discussions about christianity should be in net.religion.
christian but here it was, so here I answer.

Paul a jewish traditionalist?  HA HA HA HA

He was the farthest.  Remember he was the one who preached against
circumcision and following jewish tradition because he was teaching
grace not law.  So much for that theory to ignore part of God's word.

Remember the verse about all scripture being inspired by God.  Yes,
even Paul's writings against homosexuality.  Maybe God thinks it
is destructive.

karen

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (04/05/85)

In article <517@teklds.UUCP> larryg@teklds.UUCP (Karen Clark) writes:
>Paul a jewish traditionalist?  HA HA HA HA
>
>He was the farthest.  Remember he was the one who preached against
>circumcision and following jewish tradition because he was teaching
>grace not law.  So much for that theory to ignore part of God's word.

Yes, he was a pharasee previous to his conversion.  How much more
traditional could a Jew get in those days.  Although it is true that
after his conversion he seems to have shed much of the legalist philosphy
of the pharasees, it is quite possible that some of it carried over,
especially when he was talking about an entirely different subject and
brought homosexuality in as a bad example.  (After all the ruling class,
Romans, had a very bisexual culture and some of the prejedices may have
been coming out in his statements also.)

>Remember the verse about all scripture being inspired by God.  Yes,
>even Paul's writings against homosexuality.  Maybe God thinks it
>is destructive.
>karen

It is true that Christianoids use this kind of statement to justify
every word in their 2K-year-old "good-book".  That is why the earth
is flat, the world was created in 168 literal hours, and bigots like
you discriminate against people like me.  As I have said before, though,
when I was made, I was made gay.  If your bigoted idea of God doesn't
like me this way He has to go.  Not me, I'm real.
--
Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (04/05/85)

The Pharisees were the liberal Jewish faction. The Sadducees were the
conservative body at the time of Christ. The Pharisees founded the rRabbinical
tradition from which modern Judaism is descended. The tendancy to think of
the Pharisees as the arch-conservatives is a product of the present looking
at the past with present eyes.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

ps -- I'm not at home. I forget how to spell Sadducees and Rabbinical. /usr
/dict/words doesn't help.