[net.religion] request of Lord Frith

david@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (04/11/85)

Request, following reply
>From: root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith)
Newsgroups: net.religion
Subject: Lord Frith replies to Marc Terribile....
Date: 10 Apr 85 17:38:13 GMT

For some reason this could not be delivered via mail....

	Subject: re: Re: Did Lord Frith make the world?

	Let me point out that we don't know what we could do if we ever
	stopped spending so much effort killing each other -- and
	trying to keep from being killed.  If muggings on the subways
	stopped.  If war or the threat of war ceased to be a reality.
	If ...

No complaint there.  I'm no pessimist.  But the problem here is that
Mr. Harwood insists that ALL suffering is not only our repsonsibility
(our responsibility soley), but also our causal fault.  Neither is
substantiated by the facts.

I agree that it is man's repsonsibility to help his brother ("Am I my
bother's keeper?"), however that does not excuse anyone for the claims
that ALL suffering of any kind can be eliminated simply by throwing
money and effort at the problem.  Additionally he claims that if there
is any suffering remaining then it is for a good purpose, even though
that suffering is undesigned and is man-made.

	Mr. Frith, let us be fair to me: I do not "insist" what you say
in the first paragraph; and you realize this yourself, since you hedge
about this in the second, which is a little closer to the truth.
	I certainly do not think, as you say, that suffering is "eliminated
simply" by material means, since obviously the problem is a spiritual
one. We have the means, but we don't give a damn. May God help us to care
for others.
	Finally, I do say that the principle of suffering is one intended
by God, for reasons we've discussed. And, yes, I agree that God does not
stop suffering altogether.
	Please, I've taken the time to reply at length. You can find
plenty of other things to discuss, without misrepresenting my views
somewhat, for the sake of debate with others. I realize it is easier to
argue against an untenable view; but my views are radical enough, even if
they are tenable, so that you have plenty to argue about, without fudging.
I am glad to have you argue about these things with others, but you should
be more respectful, and less impulsive about dismissing what I've said;
otherwise, it is better to quote me in context, if you are uncertain what
I have said, or might mean. So others can read for themselves.

						David Harwood