[net.religion] Moral relativism and Mussolini

esk@wucs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (04/18/85)

Granny and I have had it up to here with the recent moral relativism
debate.  We've decided that it's time to put our feet down and dig our
heels in.  "We may not still have evolution in the public schools, but
by Ubizmo, we still have the distinction between what people think and
what is so!"  (--Granny)

Padraig Houlahan (padraig@utastro.UUCP) writes:
> [...] Philosophies based on "absolutes" can also be dangerous
>  e.g. The history of europe is practically a history of religous wars;
> Recall the stranglehold that religion had on learning because it
> accepted Aristotle as being absolutely correct. Note also that
> absolute morality frequently goes hand in hand with absolute
> righteousness, and certainty, giving rise to extreme fanaticism as is
>  evident in communistic, and islamic behaviour.

Enough of such nonsense.  A lot of religious moralities are hardly any
different from relativist moralities:  whereas Muffy says "whatever
society says, is right", the fundamentalist says "whatever Allah says,
is right".  Society, Allah -- what's the difference.  They both make
the same mistake:  "they both confuse believing something with it's
being true, and {society|Allah}'s power to enforce its laws with the
correctness of the laws" (--Granny).

Morality, we say, is a matter of the reasons for and against an action.
Those, in turn, are determined by the benefits and harms it causes.
Benefits and harms, in turn, can be learned of through experience and
reason.  We must recognize, before harming anyone, that whatever worth
and reality one's own well-being has, the well-being of others has
exactly the same worth and reality and that whatever is right for
one to do to them is, other things being equal, also right for them to
do to oneself.

Granny and I find no compelling reasons for regarding moral judgements
as altogether different from ordinary factual judgements.  Few people
would look at the variety of views on a factual subject like evolution
and conclude that whether you evolved or were created is relative to
your society or culture or subculture!  But for morality, the story
changes, why?  Why not say, 'here are more examples of some people being
right and others mistaken' -- or, more realistically, everybody being
mistaken?

We would like to close by noting that there is a certain perverse logic
to Muffy's description of Hitler's idea.  If society is the ultimate
arbiter of right, the idea of getting rid of everyone who disagrees
with you (and thus being right) is likely to seem attractive.  Perhaps
it was that kind of thinking that inspired this quote:

	"If relativism signifies the contempt for fixed
	categories ... then there is nothing more relativistic
	than Fascist attitudes and activity. ... From the fact
	that all ideologies are of equal value, that all
	ideologies are mere fictions, the modern relativist
	infers that everybody has the right to create for
	himself his own ideology and to attempt to enforce it
	with all the energy of which he is capable."*

Benito Mussolini, you said it!
	[ * Benito Mussolini, _Diuturna_, pp. 374-77.  Qouted from Helmut
Kuhn, _Freedom Forgotten and Remembered_, Chapel Hill, N.C.: University
of North Carolina Press, 1943, pp. 17-18. ]
--
The worth of an idea is inversely proportional to its popularity.
Paul V. Torek, wucs!wucec2!pvt1047

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (04/25/85)

In article <901@wucs.UUCP> pvt1047@wucec2.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) writes:

>Enough of such nonsense.  A lot of religious moralities are hardly any
>different from relativist moralities:  whereas Muffy says "whatever
>society says, is right", the fundamentalist says "whatever Allah says,
>is right".  Society, Allah -- what's the difference.  They both make
>the same mistake:  "they both confuse believing something with it's
>being true, and {society|Allah}'s power to enforce its laws with the
>correctness of the laws" (--Granny).

On the point that religious moralities are hardly different than relativist
moralities:  Exactly.  I would say that religious moralities *are*
relativist moralities parading in absolutist drag.  On the second point,
I would say it is not possible to determine the "correctness" of a law
(or norm) in any objective sense.  One must return to one's culture to
form any evaluation.

>Morality, we say, is a matter of the reasons for and against an action.
>Those, in turn, are determined by the benefits and harms it causes.
>Benefits and harms, in turn, can be learned of through experience and
>reason.  We must recognize, before harming anyone, that whatever worth
>and reality one's own well-being has, the well-being of others has
>exactly the same worth and reality and that whatever is right for
>one to do to them is, other things being equal, also right for them to
>do to oneself.

Benefits and harms are not absolutes.  In fact, we seldom get agreement
as to what is beneficial and what is harmful outside the context of the
social universe in which the action takes place.  What evidence do you
have in any objective way that your recasting of the Golden Rule is in
any sense a universal moral principle?  Recalling the Midianites, even
G-d seems to overlook it when convenient.  (Warning:  anyone who points
out that a Deity can do anything it wants because its ways are unknowable
to man has proven my point -- judgement of an action as moral or immoral
depends on who is acting and by whom they are being judged.)

As an aside, how does the golden rule apply to a Kamakazee pilot or the
driver of a truck bomb?  It seems to me that the golden rule is being
strictly observed here, but that few (in western countries) would consider
such actions to be "moral."

>Granny and I find no compelling reasons for regarding moral judgements
>as altogether different from ordinary factual judgements.  Few people
>would look at the variety of views on a factual subject like evolution
>and conclude that whether you evolved or were created is relative to
>your society or culture or subculture!  But for morality, the story
>changes, why?  Why not say, 'here are more examples of some people being
>right and others mistaken' -- or, more realistically, everybody being
>mistaken?

You must have a better line on omniscience than I do.  I often can't
tell whether an action is moral or immoral *within* the context of my
culture without considerable thought.  I can't imagine making sweeping
judgements like that.  Do you claim to be a Deity? :-)

>We would like to close by noting that there is a certain perverse logic
>to Muffy's description of Hitler's idea.  If society is the ultimate
>arbiter of right, the idea of getting rid of everyone who disagrees
>with you (and thus being right) is likely to seem attractive.  Perhaps
>it was that kind of thinking that inspired this quote:
>
>	"If relativism signifies the contempt for fixed
>	categories ... then there is nothing more relativistic
>	than Fascist attitudes and activity. ... From the fact
>	that all ideologies are of equal value, that all
>	ideologies are mere fictions, the modern relativist
>	infers that everybody has the right to create for
>	himself his own ideology and to attempt to enforce it
>	with all the energy of which he is capable."*
>
>Benito Mussolini, you said it!
>	[ * Benito Mussolini, _Diuturna_, pp. 374-77.  Qouted from Helmut
>Kuhn, _Freedom Forgotten and Remembered_, Chapel Hill, N.C.: University
>of North Carolina Press, 1943, pp. 17-18. ]

This is an excellent statement of the moral absolutist straw man.  Where
it breaks down is that these "ideologies" are created an exist within a
larger cultural context which circumscribes their characteristics.  It
is interesting to speculate as to whether Hitler's Germany would have been
possible had there not been a complete social and economic breakdown in
Germany after W.W. I.  It seems to me that the anomic weakness of that post-
war culture provided fertile soil for that horror to grow.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch