[net.religion] reply to Micha Berger, about 'Immanuel'

david@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (05/10/85)

Reply to a reply
Newsgroups: net.religion
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Virgin Birth per duke!nlt
Date: 7 May 85 14:35:51 GMT

> Matthew used the Greek word for "virgin" (parthenos), which (so I
> have been told; I'm not a linguist) does not have the ambiguity
> of the Hebrew "almah."

There is no ambiguity, it very clearly doesn't mean virgin.
Also, the verse is more properly translated:
...and behold the girl *is* pregnant and *is* birthing a son,
and she will call him 'immunuel.[Yeshaiah 7:14]

	I believe that it misleading to take the NT account of
the Virgin Birth too literally; it is included in Matthew and
Luke, but not in the earlier and later sources, and it's included
as a theological figure; what this figure means is made clear
in the introduction to John, which does not mention that Virgin
Birth, but which refers figuratively to the children of God:
"These are they who believe in his Name (God's Name said to be
given to Christ, John17.6ff) -- who were not begotten by blood
(racially), nor by carnal desire (physically), nor by man's
willing it, but by God." Similarly, the Virgin Birth underscores
that Jesus was born of God.
	On the other hand, the confusion arises, not because
Isaiah is not describing a birth, but because it is not clear
what prophetic figure motivates his account. The pre-Christian
rabbis of the 70 themselves translated the word as Greek 'virgin',
and surely they knew their contemporary tradition better than we.
Their version is what the Gospel writers were familiar with, so
they may have borrowed the traditional figure associated with
this translation 'virgin' -- the Messiah and the sons of God
were to be born of Israel, the undefiled beloved (virgin) of
God, Israel.

The prophet later says (v. 17) "Ephraim will remove from upon
Yehudah (or Judea, read either way) the king of Ashur." Jesus
lived well after the Ashur Empire, he was facing the Romans.
Also, note it says that a member of the tribe of Ephraim, not
Yehudah (Judah) will be doing this.

	Traditionally, prophetic allusions are taken somewhat
out of context.	We must try to appreciate the motivation of the NT
author in recalling this figure. I suppose that it may not be the
same as yours.
	Besides, in pursuing this figure of Isaiah, would
you want to say that Jesus was of Judah or of Ephraim? He might
resemble both figuratively, but in different aspects. What you
really observe is an ambiguity, if not inconsistency, in the
expectations about the Messiah. Is he to be the Son of David,
therefore out of Judah? If so, then you might want to say
that this text of Isaiah is not prophetic of the Messiah, since
I suppose that you would have that 'Immanuel' is out of Ephraim.
But who knows. There might be two expections. On the other hand,
there may still be one Messiah, with aspects of both figures:
a Son of David who overcomes the enemy through 'Immanuel'.
	My point is I personally would not take the prophets,
or the Gospel writers, so literally. In any case, you may have
your expectation of the Messiah, and I might have another;
But no matter, it may be that there is the one: which we might,
for example, liken to the two dual attributes of God -- first,
His Justice, then His Mercy. So there are two names here as well.

And while we are under the subject of tribes... The king of
Yisrael (Israel) is supposed to be from the tribe of Judah
(Yehudah), a claim the begining of Matthew supports (1:1-6).
After tracing his geniology to King Dovid (David) through
Joseph, it then says that he was not a decendent of Joseph,
but of Gd (sorry I can not quote, I don't own an NT). A
decendant of Gd would have no male line to any of the tribes,
nevr mind Yehudah. How can Jesus claim to be of the House of
David?
--
Micha Berger
2525 Amsterdam Ave. Suite M406  NY, NY 10033     (212) 781-0756

	Actually, there are two geneologies for Jesus given in
the Gospels, in Matthew and Luke. As it is, these are for the
lineage of Joseph, and are very apparently inconsistent (although
there are unconvincing attempts to rationalize this. Again, I
should add that these 'geneologies' do not occur in the oldest
sources, Paul and Mark, or the latest of John, even as they do
not mention the Virgin Birth. So you are concerned with Matthew
and Luke, which you would take literally, as do some Christians.
	By the way did you notice the very illustrious quality
of the geneologies? How physically credible is this? Perhaps these
are what the Gospel writers would like to say are Jesus' spiritual
ancestors. You may recall that Matthew has John the Baptist say,
"Do not pride yourself on the claim 'Abraham is our father', for
I tell you that God can raise up children to Abraham from these
very stones." Also, in John, Jesus distinguishes the sons of
the faith of Abraham, from those physically descended, as they all
were. My point is what I said before, the Gospel writers use
figures of speech for spiritual realities which will not make
sense if taken literally: these things are written to emphasize
that Jesus was begotten of God, through a spiritual lineage which
is ancient, and not simply born of human conception and lineage.
	After all, which is more important -- that he is the son
of the carpenter Joseph, said to be a descendent of David, or that
he is spiritually the descendent of David? If he did intend to
fulfill the spirit of the Law, then it is not also surprising that
he did intend to fulfill the spirit of the Prophets.
	As I have said before in other places, no one of the
apostles or Gospel writers believed that Jesus was the Messiah
because of these things -- they believed because of what Paul
emphasizes -- they were confronted with the reality of Christ
after Jesus' death. (If you have not read what I said about what
this means, I have said that it means that Jesus was given the
Very Name of the Lord as a seal of his authority, so that one who
is so called by God understands that he has been called to be
a Christian. In the Gospels, it is figuratively described as the
transfiguration, but the encounter of Paul on the road to Damascus
is more literal, which encounter was, as he says, with the 'risen
or glorified Christ'.)
	With this in mind, we may reconsider what Jesus said about
the scripture, attributed to David, "The Lord said unto my Lord,
'Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool'."
He asked how it can be said, therefore, that the Messiah is to
be the Son of David. His point is that the spirit of the Messiah
is eternal; and the key to the verse is that he is said to sit
at the right hand of Lord. But the Gospel writers say that upon
his death, Jesus was raised up as Christ, to the right hand (of
the Power) of God. We may say, on their behalf, that the authority
of Christ is that of the Power of God, which is in His Name, or
self-revelation.
	Similarly, in John, Jesus identifies his pre-existent
or eternal glory with that which appeared to Isaiah. (Implicitly,
the Gospel writer is identifying the eternal spirit of Christ,
revealed in Jesus, with the Glorious Name which was revealed to
the Isaiah and David.)
	For what it is worth, Jesus is also said to be born in
the City of David, Bethlehem, but to ride upon the colt of an ass
into the Citadel of David, Jerusalem, in order to fulfill these
messianic prophecies. But it occurs to me, that if the Lord is said
to ride upon the clouds of heaven, then perhaps we Christians are
that stubborn colt of an ass. Of course, this is yet another figure
of speech, I suppose, which you might want to understand literally.
	But no matter, nearly two thousand years ago now, the fate
of the Earth became involved with the startling revelation of Christ,
and as if the pronouncement of the Lord were like the flash of lightning
on the dark horizon of the human racial consciousness, the hundred
generations have resounded like the thunder that Christ has come.
	You have asked about whether Jesus was begotten of man or
of God, or whether he was 'Immanuel', God-with-us, and have tried to
suggest why these things are said about him.

					David Harwood