[net.religion] john 3:13 at televised sports events

johnnyr@ihu1m.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) (05/06/85)

Watching the Kentucky Derby Saturday reminded me of a question
that i'd been meaning to ask. As the horses were coming from
the paddock area onto the track, a man wearing a multi-colored
fright wig held up a banner which read John 3:13. He was clearly
located so as to be in the television camera's field of view. I have
noticed this same thing happening at most major televised sports
events. For example, the World Series, Super Bowl etc. Even the Winter
Olympics, near the bobsled/luge run.

I know that John 3:13 is the verse beginning "For God so loved the world..."

I am curious about what is behind all this, how the sign holders know
just where to stand to be sure they are on TV prominently, and why it
is being done.

John Rosenberg  AT&T-NS
ihnp4!ihu1m!johnnyr

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (05/07/85)

     Must be another one of those guys like "Rock Roller" (or some other
catchy name)... might even be the same guy. There was a story in Sports
Illustrated about a similar person who dyed his hair in multicoloured rows;
wearing shirts that said "Jesus Saves" or "Repent."  This is not the same
person; I've seen "John 3:13" at the Masters, at several Atlanta Braves
games, and the Derby (all on TV, of course); evidently these individuals
know precisely where to stand.

     My mom, who has read the SI article, insists that Masters tickets are
*impossible* to come by, and that Rock Roller states that he has nothing to
do with the networks....Rock Roller reportedly has the best elements of
being a sports groupie and missionary.

     James Price, who just walked in, has  seen him on:

Sugar Bowl, Rose Bowl, Super Bowl, NBA games all the time...we'll be looking
for him at the Preakness, Belmont Stakes, Stanley Cup, and Indy 500; perhaps
John 3:13 will even grace the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

     Either he gets around or God works in strange and wondrous ways, or both.

dya
.

In article <413@ihu1m.UUCP> johnnyr@ihu1m.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) writes:

>Watching the Kentucky Derby Saturday reminded me of a question
>that i'd been meaning to ask. As the horses were coming from
>the paddock area onto the track, a man wearing a multi-colored
>fright wig held up a banner which read John 3:13. He was clearly
>located so as to be in the television camera's field of view. I have
>noticed this same thing happening at most major televised sports
>events. For example, the World Series, Super Bowl etc. Even the Winter
>Olympics, near the bobsled/luge run.

>I know that John 3:13 is the verse beginning "For God so loved the world..."

Actually, you're thinking of John 3:*16*.  John 3:13 says:

   "No one has ascended into heaven but he who descended from heaven,
    the son of man ["who is in heaven" is added in some texts]".

This doesn't make any sense to me, either.

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

brooke@nmtvax.UUCP (05/09/85)

> fright wig held up a banner which read John 3:13. He was clearly

> I know that John 3:13 is the verse beginning "For God so loved the world..."

I have seen this, too.  Maybe the banner was not very readable, because
the verse is actually John 3:16.  No matter.  I know not if it is an
organized group or if it is a lot of people who are promoting their
religion (my religion, too :-) ).  Let's wait and see.

--

                    J. Brooke King in Socorro Funland
                     ... ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!brooke

Any thoughts or non-thoughts expressed here are not necessarily those of NMIMT.

jlp@faust.UUCP (05/10/85)

{}
I think Rock Roller was even in a Lite Beer commercial, before they
became such ratings successes. He's actually standing in the background of
the bar, shaking that wig, or hair, or coiffure, or...

Jerryl Payne
...!ihnp4!inmet!faust!jlp