			New Age Digest #5
			Moderator: Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K.ARPA
				   (uucp: seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim)
			Sat Jan 19 23:14:04 EST 1985
			-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This time:
	Editorial Policy
	A Member Bio
	Castaneda Poll
	A Taxonomy of Speaking
	New Age Pizza in Indian Hill
	What is the O.T.O.?
	Pagan Book Reviews

From: The Moderator, Tim Maroney
Subject: Editorial Comments

I got a message the other day with which I agree whole-heartedly.  It has
resulted in a change in my editorial policy concerning comments.  No more
bracketed comments within or at the end of messages will appear.  It is
heavy-handed and intimidating.  All comments will now be in separate
messages.  Any and all other comments on my editorial style will be
gratefully appreciated.

Tim Maroney

[I think this is a very good idea indeed.  Incidentally, has anyone heard
about my pet frog Jake?  It seems that -- oh, never mind. -- Tim]

From: ihnp4!ihlpm!russ@seismo.ARPA
Date: 12 Jan 85 20:30:49 CST (Sat)

Name       : Russell Spence
Age        : 22
Occupation : Computer programmer for AT&T Tech in Naperville, IL
Interests  : Music, Film, Literature, Philosophy and Religion

Initially, I grew up in the Lutheran church and was confirmed as a member, but
as I grew more devote in my feelings, I also became more dis-illusioned.  I
saw that there was alot of hypocrisy in the Christian church and I felt that
I was undergoing alot of unnecessary guilt because of my beliefs.  I rejected
the church and became a very cynical agnostic for a while (this was during
my high school years).  When I got to college I began reading about Zen
Buddhism and Taoism.  I got interested in Philosophy so I took some courses
in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Existentialism.  I gained new hope that there
could be a belief out there that was true.  Now, I would probably have to
call myself a "Taoist", but I definitely have not participated in any
organized "religion" since about Junior High.  I read alot, but my favorite
authors would have to be Ayn Rand and Friedrich Nietzsche.  I really like
Ayn Rand and politically I would have to call myself an Objectivist (I also
vote Libertarian).  However, by far my most favorite author is Nietzsche.
In reading his works and in the Tao Te Ching, I have come to the deepest
insights. In my readings and contemplations I feel that I have made great
progress in understanding, but I had never found any group or organization
that practiced any form of religion that I could cope with.  When I starting
reading about paganism on the net I was interested, because it seemed that
this may be just what I was looking for.  I have just recently read
"The Spiral Dance" and "Mother Wit: A Feminist Guide to Psychic Development"
on the recommendation of a letter by ellen@ucla-cs in net.religion.  I
enjoyed both books and became even more interested in witch craft, paganism,
and whatever else this groups treats, which is why I wanted to get on this
mailing list. Perhaps we are entering a new age.  I hope so, and I plan
to do everything possible to help it along.  Of course, the best thing you
can do is to take care of your own spiritual development, and I think that's
a big enough job for anyone.

"Skating away on the thin ice of the new day"		russ

Date: Sat, 12 Jan 85 23:33:48 CST
From: Ken Montgomery <kjm@ut-ngp.ARPA>
Subject: Opinion poll

On the subject of shamanism, there is the controversial series
of books by Carlos Castaneda.  I'll bet that there are at least
several other people who subscribe to this mailing list who have
read this series.  I wish to poll your opinions: Is Castaneda
believable?

(I decline to answer my own question, for now, hoping to avoid
influencing the results....)

Ken Montgomery
  ...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!kjm  kjm@ut-ngp.ARPA

From: cran!merlyn@decwrl.ARPA (Randal L. Schwartz)
Date: 14 Jan 1985 1519-PST (Monday)
Subject: Taxonomy of speaking, and introduction

As both an introduction to who I am, and a useful piece of information,
I present a short taxonomy (collection of distinctions) regarding
speaking and listening.

Some speaking is ineffective.  The result is no alteration on the flow
of the universe, or a "hiding" rather than a "revealing" of the state
of things.  This kind of speaking I call "non-committed" speaking.
It's a speaking that consumes most of the interactions of human beings
on this planet.  Most sentences that start "I think..." or "I feel..."
(or have that implied) are in this category.  (More on this distinction
in future messages.)

Some speaking is journalistic, or "reporting".  The sports reporter
writing about Sunday's football game in the Monday paper is reporting
on the game.  His report, although possibly interesting and
entertaining, as well as being fully accurate to the story of what
happened, can have *no impact* on the game itself.

Some speaking is "evocative", in which the speaking itself brings
present the experience being spoken about.  Good poetry does this.  "I
love you", when the listener actually experiences the love in the
moment of conversation, is an example.  In the football game, this is
like the quarterback playing the game -- his actions have an impact on
the game, but he's basically playing out something that already exists
(a perfect execution of a predetermined plan).

Some speaking is "coaching", in which the speaking itself brings about
an alteration in the substance of the committed listener.  An effective
coach can bring about in Saturday's practice an impact on the
quarterback's performance on Sunday.  Coaching is distinct from
reporting; the coach doesn't merely provide a "this does that" type of
speaking.  The coach creates new ways of being through speaking, that
show up as a real impact on the game.  The possibilities for ways of
being available to the listener are altered through the listening
itself.  A coach doesn't "teach"... knowledge about "how to throw the
ball" is useless when the linebackers are attacking.

My purpose in presenting this particular taxonomy of speaking and
listening, besides providing elements for discussion, is to distinguish
the phenomonon of "coaching".  This time around for me on this planet,
my job is to be a coach.  Over the last few years, I have been looking
at abstractions that provide leverage in coaching, such that in the
game on Sunday, the ball gets caught.  I have been coached by some very
masterful people, and have been coaching others to hone my own coaching
machinery.

Part of my coaching people has led me to see a number of things about
what's possible in being a human being that don't have a lot of
agreement in the current culture.  I have interacted with people that
literally disappear terminal cancer through communication, alter the
flow of reality in "non-normal" ways, and produced all sorts of other
practical, real "magic".  I'm not a believer... I maintain a healthy
skepticism about everything I discover, but I have disposed of my
resignation that reality is the way I had it wired up to be, and the
way my parents, teachers, and peers presented it to me.  The results on
my personal life have been rather remarkable -- doing "six impossible
things before breakfast" [Carroll Lewis] is almost commonplace for me
now.  (No accident that my login name is "merlyn".)

My promise to you is to interact with you as a coach, such that my
speaking won't be merely reporting, but have an impact on the
possibilities of your life.  If you wish to have personal
correspondance with me, I encourage you to write directly.

(Next: a taxonomy of knowing...)

-- A particularly personal and original observation from the thought-stream of
Randal L. ("(null)") Schwartz, esq. (merlyn@sequent.UUCP)
Sequent Computer Systems, Inc. (503)626-5700 (sequent = 1/quosine)
UUCP: { teneron,decwrl,nsc,ogcvax,pur-ee,rocks34,shell,
	unisoft,vax135,verdix,islabs,lcc,pmr}!sequent!merlyn
ARPA: "sequent!merlyn"@decwrl.ARPA

From: ihnp4!ihuxf!pjs1@seismo.ARPA
Date: 14 Jan 85 17:33:21 CST (Mon)
Subject: Whats for Lunch at Indian Hill

If there are any readers of this list, who work at Bell Labs Indian Hill,
and would care to meet for lunch some time to discuss the important Mystical
Questions (such as: Pizza with peperoni or mushrooms?) please call
at IH X4721. I have recently moved from the N.Y. area and would like to
meet more people then those who I interact with through work.

Peter Silverman
ihnp4!ihuxf!pjs1
AT&T Bell Labs at Indian Hill

From: Tim Maroney (tim@cmu-cs-k)
Date: Mon Jan 14 20:34:37 EST 1985
Subject: What is the O.T.O.?

I got a question about what the O.T.O. is a few days ago.  The O.T.O. is the
Ordo Templi Orientis, The Order of the Temple of the East in English.  It
has also been called the Order of Oriental Templars, but that is very bad
Latin.  It is an international Thelemic group which split from Masonry
around the turn of the century.  Unlike Masonic groups, it accepts women.
Like any Thelemic group, its primary concern is helping its members in their
work to know and do their will.  There are a few members on this list,
including me.

Like many occult orders, the O.T.O. has a system of degrees or ranks.  These
acknowledge members' progress.  Each degree is associated with a particular
initiation ritual which is performed with the member as he or she takes the
degree.  Each degree also carries with it certain responsibilities.

The structure is essentially tripartite, based on the Book of the Law,
Nuit:40 "there are therein Three Grades, the Hermit, and the Lover, and the
man of Earth".  Each of the three "triads" contains several degrees.  The
first triad is the Man of Earth triad, consisting of Zero Degree to Third
Degree.  (I am currently a Zero Degree hoping to become First soon.)  The
responsibilities in these grades are just to gain skill in various branches
of Magick, and to pay the dues, which are quite low in the Man of Earth
triad.  The responsibilities of the Lover and Hermit triads are more
concerned with serving other members and governing the Order, although
progress in Magick is expected as well.

On the local level, the O.T.O. consists of groups called Lodges, Chapters,
and Camps (from largest to smallest).  There are also a fairly large number
of solo members who have no local body; me, for instance.  (Theosophy
appears to be the going thing in Pittsburgh -- I couldn't even find any
Wiccans, and they're everywhere!)  These local bodies serve members in a
variety of ways, of which the most significant are reminding people of what
they're supposed to be doing, holding classes by members who are proficient
in particular areas, providing experience with group ritual, and performing
initiation ceremonies.  Different bodies often specialize in particular
branches of Magick, such as Yoga or Enochian operations.

That is a necessarily sketchy introduction to the O.T.O.  More details can
be found in the impossible-to-get "Blue Equinox" published by the O.T.O. in
the 1920's.  Unfortunately, most of the Blue Equinox documents are not yet
available in electronic form.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.

Date:           Fri, 18 Jan 85 12:24:01 PST
From:           Ellen Perlman <ellen@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>
Subject:        another posting for NewAge Digest

what follows is a book-list of pagan/wiccan books which include rituals
to celebrate a woman's various changes: menarche, regular (or so) menses;
birth, abortion, or other related occasions; and menopause.
[this was originally posted to net.women.only, which is why this particular
slant.  most of these books are useful for other purposes as well; however,
most are woman-oriented.]

     "The Holy Book of Women's Mysteries, Part I (c. 1978 & 1982) &
	Part 2 (c. 1980)" by Z. Budapest, self-published, paper.
	available from:	Susan B. Anthony Coven No.1
			P.O.Box 11363
			Oakland, CA  94611
	this is a book written by a very publicly avowed feminist and
	lesbian witch.  she practices a form of Dianic witchcraft
	(contemporary Goddess- oriented paganism).  Dianic witches are
	more than generally separatist, that is, they worship only the
	Goddess and not the Horned God, and they are exclusively
	female; males are not welcome in their circles (although they
	are NOT necessarily lesbians).  Z. and her coven members have
	developed a number of touching rituals dealing with women and
	their bodily changes.  i'm not a lesbian or a separatist, but i
	find these books a real source of inspiration.  women CAN
	celebrate our bodies!

	by the way, i will add that i have some friends who are Dianic witches
	[these books contain info on spells, herblore, history (herstory),
	and many wonderful year-cycle rituals - all with a definite female/
	feminist leaning.]

    "Earth Rites, Vol. 1 - Herbal Remedies (c. 1978 & 1980) & Vol. 2 - Rituals
	(c. 1978 & 1981)" by Sheri Mestel, self-published, paper.
	available from:	Earth Rites Press
			c/o Mestel
			398 8th Street
			Brooklyn, NY  11215
	these are not formal books, but rather compendia of rites,
	rituals, invocations, thearer & performance pieces, art shows,
	etc., made by women, mostly on the the East Coast, in honor of
	Women, the Goddess, Mother Earth, to heal, to cure, to curse
	(only those raping women and the Earth).  herbs are discussed,
	both medicinally and ritually (again, this is not in-depth or
	all-inclusive).  this is inspiring, because it shows how women
	can get together and publicly celebrate their Woman-ness.

    "The Crone's Book of Words" by Valerie Worth, Llewellyn Publications,
	St.Paul, Minnesota, 1971, paper. (may be out of print - i got mine
	second hand).
	contains rituals, prayers, spells in the form of poems (chants?).
	includes self-affirmations, and other personally healing formulae.
	[this book is not exclusively woman-oriented]

    "WomanSpirit, A Guide to Women's Wisdom" by Hallie Iglehart, Harper & Row,
	Publishers, 1983, paper.
	Not to be confused with a now defunct Quarterly of the same
	name, this is not a strictly Pagan book, as most in this list
	are, but a book to aid women in the search for their spiritual
	nature.  it shows many possibilities: witchcraft, politics,
	dream work, healing, personal explorations, etc.  with
	photographs, exercises, etc.  warm & lovely, strong &
	practical.

    "MotherPeace, A Way of the Goddess" by Vicki Noble, Harper & Row, 1983,
	paper.(this publisher seems to be coming out with a lot of Pagan
	books! (they also publish Starhawk's "Spiral Dance") do they see a
	trend?)
	this book goes along with a completely new Tarot deck, composed of
	circular cards containing mostly female imagery, and designed by the
	author and Karen Vogel.  i waited many months before i finally
	gave in and bought the deck, too. (it's a bit more expensive
	than most Tarot decks, but was WELL WORTH the investment.)
	the book describes a way of thinking that reaffirms femaleness,
	feminism, the power of women.  this book can definitely be used
	without the Tarot cards (there are color illustrations of most cards,
	and black & white of all) to rethink spiritual and psychological
	matters, and could probably be used to construct rituals celebrating
	Women.

    "God Herself, the Feminine Roots of Astrology" by Geraldine Thorsten,
	Avon Books, 1980, paper.
	a new/old vision of the Zodiac - a female images for each of the 12
	houses (priestesses & goddesses (& their male consorts, on occasion).
	reaffirm the eternal power of Women month by month through the stars.
	(now what i want to find is the book describing "Arachne," the 13th
	sign - there's an out-of-print book or two on the subject; anyone out
	there have one they'd be willing to part with?).

    "The Secrets of the Tarot:  Origins, History & Symbolism" by Barbara G.
	Walker, Harper & Row (here they are again!), 1984.
	probably the most inspiring book i've read since "The Spiral
	Dance." the author puts her vast research into the realm of the
	Ancient Ones (for the "Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths &
	Secrets") to use in a book which truly gives the Tarot back to
	the followers of the Old Ways.  it traces the Tarot symbolism
	through many times and cultures.  while the Tarot is know to
	have existed only since the Renaissance, numerous authors on
	the occult have sought to establish  its origins in the
	cultures of Egypt, India, the Hebrews.  most of these authors,
	while wise in their fields, were not deeply knowledgable about
	the great Pagan religions of the past.  Walker does not try to
	establish the absolute origins of the Tarot deck of cards
	itself, she does give deep and far-reaching information on the
	roots of the symbolism contained within it.  (i was in a
	metaphysical bookstore recently, looking through the Tarot
	section.  a young woman was also searching, who admitted to
	being a neophyte.  i recommended Walker's book to her.  she
	mentioned that she'd heard of it (with widened eyes) and backed
	away from me.  i noticed from some other books she had near by
	that she was a Christian, so i recommended another book, which
	i use, which has a strong Christian leaning (i replace all
	references to Jesus or God with references to my Lord and Lady
	Goddess.).) (no, these are not faces, just completing the
	sentences and parentheses:-)

	A QUOTE from the section on Major Acana 6:
		"The 666-Beast was originally the beast with two backs, the
		 Primal Androgyne, said to resemble a man & woman in sexual
	 	 union.  Like the hexagram, it described, 666 was a sexual
		 charm sacred to triple Aphrodite (Astarte).  Pythagorean
		 mystics called her number 6 the perfect number, or The
		 Mother.  In Latin six was 'sex', in Egyptian 'sexen,' meaning
		 to embrace or copulate.  A derivative Egyptian word
		 'seshemu,' "sexual intercourse," had as its heiroglyph
		 a phallus inserted into an arched yoni-gate.  The word
		 was repeated in Sufi love rituals and became the magic
		 charm that opened the gate of the secret uterine cave
		 in Arabic fairy tales - that is, Open Sesame.  Hence the
		 number 6, 'sex', which Christian authorities call the
		 number of sin, was especially appropriate to the sixth
		 Tarot trump with its message of love."

	she quotes many & varied sources (with a rich bibliography).  i don't
	want to argue about some of the syntheses of ideas she makes (perhaps
	she's reaching a bit, but such great ideas!).  read with an
	unfettered mind.  this book was so exciting to me (intellectually -
	the above quote was randomly selected, i assure you), i couldn't put
	it down! (honestly!)

[anyone out there with more Tarot insights to share?  i use it as a meditation
tool, and i do spreads for myself when i am anxious about some situation -
not as a future predictor, but as a way of "getting my thumb on the pulse of
the problem."  it doesn't "solve" the problem, but it certainly helps me
focus - by giving clarity to what is troubling me, i can relax with it a bit.
i should do another posting on this - anybody else?]

End of New Age Digest

-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University, Networking